AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate even posting this here guys as I do truly enjoy lurking more than anything. But, with that being said, I'm pulling the trigger on one of these sets today and need some quick advice. This will be my last major A/V purchase until whatever next ridiculously awesome technology is on the shelves in 5 years or so.

If you had to choose one of those sets which would it be and why? For the sake of answering this question you may need to assume the V10 is a 50". The only reason I posted the 54" is because that is what the place has available and I am still debating on whether my room can handle the 54".

I know the 860 and V10 are comparable and are a step up from the G15. Is the leap something extremely noticeable? It's very hard to tell in a store.

Any advice you guys can give me will be appreciated. Money IS an object to me but I have no problem paying a few hundred more to get something I will be happier with.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Have you considered the Samsung B550? The difference is that it doesn't have Samsung's "Cinema Smooth" processor and internet features. There's some debate as to the value of that extra processing. Do you really need networking for your display?

You'd be saving some $$$ to get the lower end model. Your choices are roughly similar in PQ. What's being discussed is a relatively minor jump in PQ for a bigger jump in price.

I just got the PN63B550 and am very happy with it (except for some minor buzzing problem that's actively discussed in this forum. Up to you if it matters.).

Those $$$ you save could be used to get the 54". You'll see several opinions (including mine) that you should buy the largest display you can afford. After a few days, the slightly higher PQ from the better models will be overridden by a desire for a larger display. Buyer's remorse will bug you for a l-o-n-g time. These models are within a ballpark of each other +/- features.

·
Registered
15,957 Posts
How far will you sit from the plasma? That should determine the best size for you. IMO, the V10 is the best of the 3 you mention (and has no buzzing problem), although any of them will look great in your home.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I greatly appreciate the responses thus far.

My initial thought was that I sit typically 6-7' from the TV but after taking some measurements, along with some assumptions since I can now get this new set closer to the wall (currently have a rear-proj LCD that juts out), I will be in the 9'-11' range. I guess a 54" won't be overkill for that distance?

And GG, great points on the size vs. PQ comparison. That will definitely need to be considered. I honestly haven't looked to much into Samsung. The only reason I listed it in the comparison is because a buddy of mine mentioned it to me a few minutes before posting this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts