AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I'm hoping someone on here can help me, or at least point me in the right direction. I have tried searching but it all just kind of gets blurry for me because there is so much stuff. I currently have an old Infocus IN72 SD projector and i'm done with it ... i want something that is high def that gets me excited again to turn on my projector. I want that "pop" but it's been so many years since i have last looked for projectors i'm completely lost. I have looked at projectorcentral to try and figure it out however, their top ten doesn't just let you pick dlp ... it looks like it mixes in both lcd and dlp expensive and budget so for what i'm looking at, i can't get a top 10. Basically, i want a bright, vivid image that pops off the screen, something that will give that "wow' factor back to my setup when people come over to watch a basketball game or movie etc. However, I assume I still want dlp since I do want decent black levels (unless something changed, i know this was always a weak spot for LCD projectors). I would also like to keep it under $1500 if possible ... i know there are some 1080p projectors that are under $1000 but most of them look to have weird throw distance's etc. In my room i have a shelf at the back where the projector sits and my screen is a 92" gray screen. So we're talking about something that is flexible enough to sit at about 13' back and project a 92" diagonal image. So far, the only thing I have found that looks like it might is an Epson ... the BenQ's look to be weird in that you have to have the projector really close to project a 92" image ... is this correct?

Anyway, that's pretty much the gist of it ... can someone please help, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

M

·
Registered
64 Posts
As I thought about this more it occurred to me that with an old SD projector you probably have a 4:3 aspect ratio screen and you would want to get a new 16:9 aspect ratio screen anyway for the HD projector.

What is the aspect ratio of your 92" screen? What is the largest screen your space could accommodate?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there ... thanks for responding. Actually it is a 16x9 screen (92" diagonal). It's such a weird room that I really don't have much flexibility which is what makes finding the right projector especially tricky for me. I might be able to go up to maybe 100" but the wall the screen is on is just about filled up and unfortunately, ceiling mounting isn't an option. So it's like I'm stuck with an Epson as far as I am finding so far ... the Optoma 25lv is close but i don't think it would get me there either. I wish there was something where i could work backwards in specifying the throw distance i need then seeing a list of possible projectors, then eliminate all but dlp, so on and so forth ...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's about midway up the wall in the back ... i would guess about 4.5 to 5 feet off the floor

...my wife has this light fixture that hangs down and is really too big for the room but really doesn't want to remove it ... if it were up to me, i would take the thing down and give it to goodwill but i digress :-/

my old infocus worked just right with the shelf, distance, 92" screen etc. ... but i'm sure you know the projector it is, it's just too old and isn't a native 1080 projector. plus, there's a lovely dust blob that i get to look at whenever the scene is a nice bright scene ... drives me crazy ... i'm ready for something newer, better

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, tough situation. So is the projector currently shooting through the seating area just above your heads? Can you describe your room a little more? Ceiling height, screen distance from ceiling, length, etc? I'm not real knowledgeable about projector options but I believe a lot of projectors must align roughly with the top or bottom of the screen with a few offering various amounts of lens shift. If you can't move the light, is it possible to get a very short throw projector such as the 1080st and ceiling mounting it between the screen and light?

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
With 13' lens to screen, it's going to limit your options significantly. So, you want to be really accurate that it is 13' LENS TO SCREEN.

The search you are looking for is right where you were looking:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=1800&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=3.0.0&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=13&i=d&is=92&sort=pop&sz=15

There is your list of DLP projectors which can produce a 92" diagonal from 13' lens to screen, sorted by popularity.

This one may be worth your consideration:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus-IN8606HD.htm

Keep in mind that with your 'shelf mounted' setup, you will have to pay close attention to detail on the offset to see if you will have to make any height changes and/or invert the projector.

Oh, and the better LCD projectors tend to best the DLP models in terms of black level due to dynamic iris control and big advancements in LCD technology. The best blacks tend to come from LCoS projectors. Yeah, there have been some changes in recent years.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, tell me about it. I just happened to get lucky with my Infocus I suppose and really never thought much about it until recently when I started trying to find its replacement. It's not a very large room, from the screen to the back wall is probably 14 feet and that's about the width as well ... standard 8 foot ceilings and you're exactly correct about the way the projector is shooting in the room ... the shelf in the back it's sitting on is a bit higher than the humans in the room when they're seated. Once the lights go out and everyone is seated the projector shoots the image right over everyone's heads and right under the albatross of a light fixture. I can control the lighting pretty well at night, there are windows and ambient light in the day so with the Infocus it makes watching the projector during the daytime pretty much not an option (another reason i'm wanting to upgrade in hopes that the new projector will be bright enough to use during the day).

...i thought i had found the Optoma that would work but looking at the throw distance calculator, i would have to get a larger screen which might end up being what I have to do however, i really do think going from a 92" to 100" is probably all i'll be able to get away with on this wall i'm constricted to.

Am i correct in saying that the dlp's still offer better blacks and contrast than LCD's? Or has technology caught up with the LCD's and now it's a push?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh ... awesome, Thanks for the link!

...i wondered if maybe the LCD technology had caught up with the dlp's in terms of black levels and contrast.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkeye  /t/1525652/need-some-help-advice-pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top#post_24564791

oh ... awesome, Thanks for the link!

...i wondered if maybe the LCD technology had caught up with the dlp's in terms of black levels and contrast.
There are plenty of right ups on DLP vs. LCD. DLP used to NOT have much of a price advantage, but now really owns the entry level market. LCD has very good performance and excels with black level performance in the $2,000-$3,000 range where DLP is almost non-existent. But, if you have a DLP and are used to it, the way that DLP handles motion is smoother than what LCD delivers at that price point and is a better purchase if you are already comfortable with it.

You may want to see if the BenQ W1080ST will work as a ceiling mount option in front of the ceiling lamp. Or, you may want to update the room lighting with recessed lights and sneak over to Goodwill.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about this guy? Mitsubishi hc7900dw ... any experience with this projector? I have found one for $900 and it looks like it's normally at $2500 projector. Am I missing something? projectorcentral doesn't have a review for it but it's a 6x colorwheel, 1080p, and it looks like the throw distance might work for me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It's a fantastic unit but the mounting options won't work for you. It has to be above or below the screen by a considerable distance. There's not many DLPs that will fit as far as having the lens in the middle of the screen height, maybe the Benq w7500. There's a little more flexibility in LCD as you go higher end.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the width of the room is about 14' and ceilings are 8' what is restricting you to a 92" screen on the front wall? Would a larger retractable screen work in your space?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know what i'm working with is not optimum by any stretch. The wall that the projector is on is actually cut in half due to a hallway ... it's kind of like my house doesn't really want me to have a home theater ... one of these days i plan on finishing part of the attic and dedicating a space solely for my theater but in the meantime i get to jump through hoops and rings of fire and hope all of the planets and stars align just right for a projector to fit my room :-/

...i was actually all set and getting ready to order the Infocus projector mentioned above (IN8606) but after reading that it only has a 2X colorwheel I'm afraid that would be a dealbreaker for me. My old antiquated 480p IN72 employed a 3X and i "sometimes" still see the occasional RBE during contrasty scenes. I read something about it that if you were watching a bluray but had your bluray player set to some 24p setting instead of 60p that in reality the colorwheel was a 4X or something but it just confused me so I assumed it was still as 2X wheel and would cause me to see more rainbows. I watch blurays via my PS3, I have HDDVD's that i watch, I still watch DVD's in both my HDDVD player and PS3 (so i'm not sure that setting that was mentioned would even apply to 2D blurays and dvds) as well as video games on my xbox360 and HD content from my directv receiver.

maybe i need to just bite the bullet and either remove the light fixture and ceiling mount something or up my budget to the $2k - $2.5K range (assuming there would be more options as far as throw distance is concerned). There just doesn't seem to be one easy answer unless i change something in my room to allow for a shorter throw distance ... in which case, it seems a benQ is the way to go.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just thinking outside the box a little here... but could you get a better/"normal throw" projector mount it at 90deg to the screen and then use a 45deg first surface mirror centered with the screen to get the image where you need it. Depending on how the room is laid out and the WAF this might allow you to get a different projector and keep the light fixture (which should help the WAF).

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you can stretch your budget, the BenQ W7500 hits all of your requirements and is a really great looking projector. It has lens shift and will sit on a rear shelf and project straight out at the screen just fine. At 13' throw, you're hitting the exact middle of the projector's zoom range, so you even have some wiggle room. It has a 6X speed RGBRGB color wheel.

The problem is that the MSRP is $2799, which is more than you said you wanted to pay. Other than that, I can't think of anything that will fit all of your requirements. Can I ask if there's a specific reason why you won't consider LCD besides the fact that they used to have poor black levels and contrast?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the benq looks very interesting albeit a bit more than I really wanted to spend. what about the benq w7000? it appears to be the 7500's predecessor ... it has a 4x colorwheel and not a 6x but that might be good enough for me considering that its nearly $2000 less than the 7500. are you familiar with that one?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...and the reason I was dismissing the lcd's could be because of the way they were and not the way the are today. it seems like I remember they were more susceptible to dust blobs as well as the weaker black levels/contrast. I hate dust blobs, they drive me crazy (of course, I ended up getting one in my dlp anyways which I never understood as I thought dlp's were supposed to be sealed). I guess in my mind, it seemed like dlp was the better choice for me since I don't see RBE as easy as others (I rarely see them on my old 3x dlp unless it's a movie like "Sin City"). I'm hopeful that a projector with a 4x or greater wheel would mean that I would never seen a rainbow. And hopefully the newer ones really are sealed and really will keep the dust out.

However, if LCD's are the way to go today then I have no problem giving them a go. It sounds like a lot of their shortcomings from 10 years ago have now been worked out and the difference between a good LCD and a good DLP has become negligible.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkeye  /t/1525652/need-some-help-advice-pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top#post_24570926

what about the benq w7000? it appears to be the 7500's predecessor ... it has a 4x colorwheel and not a 6x but that might be good enough for me considering that its nearly $2000 less than the 7500. are you familiar with that one?

Quite familiar. I reviewed it back when it came out.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq-w7000-3d-projector-review.htm

If that fits your price range, it's still a fine projector.

Re: dust blobs. They can still be a problem. If you're worried, consider running an air filter in your theater room. It'll cut down on dust in general.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts