AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my current HT set up which is a pair of Athena ASF-2's (big nice towers) and the matching center; along with a pair of Bose 161 for rear surrounds - no sub I figured the quad 8" in the front set was enough. I might keep the Bose speakers but not sure.

Powered by a Yamaha RX-V1800 which I think is pretty strong and I love the Yamaha sound!

Reason for replacing the front set is we are installing hard wood like laminate in our theatre room from carpet. And I have some pesky cats that jump off of the towers and pull them down from time to time. The grilles are also a used as a scratching pad once in awhile. I am afraid that they will damage the floor and the speaker as the carpeting is more absorbent...

I have it narrowed down to three options:

* Focal Sib and Cub setup found at Tweeter at sale this month --- seems like a nice set up
http://www.tweeter.com/product/SIBSYSB.asp

* Def Tech - Pro Center 1000 with Pro Monitor 1000 for front left and right (keep Bose 161 in the rear) and the Pro 800 Sub

* Boston Acoustic MCS 130 set up -- looks and sounds good (well as good as it can sound in a CC I guess?) price right now half of the two options. Just not sure if BA has gone down hill after merging with Denon?
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/home_...product_id=414

I'd like to save the money with the BA BUT since I can't really hear what they can do I'm afraid they will suffer like many lower cost solutions and have a poor dialog track while action scenes are high. I assume the Focals will have no issues but they on;y have single mid range drivers?

I know I will not find a full sound like my towers BUT I want to come close.

Any thoughts please let me know

john

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you really like your current speakers and want to save a lot of money, I have another option for you; modify them so they can't tip over! If your speakers have spikes on the bottom, it will even be easier. Simply get a couple pieces of plywood with whatever type of vaneer that will match your new floor, stain them to match and attach them to the bottom of your speakers. I would think if you cut the plywood 12 - 16 inches larger than the footprint of your speaker and then mount the speaker in the center, it would keep them from tipping.

Just my 2 cents!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts