AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Here is what Im trying to accomplish. Like everyone else Im trying to get a central place where I can keep all of my movies/music/photos. I have looked into streaming via gigabit ethernet, but the codec and trans coding issues have steered me away from that. Im fairly technically savvy, but I don't think im up to dealing with some of the issues that go along with streaming.

So what I would like to do is hook my HTPC directly to my TV via HDMI. That way I can run VLC or some other media player and forget about it. This machine also needs to be big enough for multiple hard drives, so I plan on putting it in a closet and remoting into it from my laptop to control it. I don't plan on doing a lot of transcoding, mostly 1:1 Bluray rips to mkv.

So would is a good motherboard / processor / video card setup for what I am trying to accomplish? The budget is as little as I can spend and still accomplish my goal.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Why not just pick up a Network Media Player like a WD TV Live or something like that? You could also go with something like a Mede8er 800 or 1000 that allows you to put a hard drive in it.

I've been doing HTPC's and a RAID for many, many years at first I built them but and eventually with the Dell Zino's several years ago but they are pretty underpowered to play full Blu-Ray Rips so I started looking for something else. With that in mind I just redid my whole setup and ended up going with a Synology NAS and a Mede8er MED600X3D connected to my Home Theater / TV. This way I can store everything on my NAS and watch whatever I want on my TV.

If you really want to go with an HTPC I personally like Gigabyte Motherboard as well as Intel and possibly ASUS as I've heard that they have improved their design over the last few years. You could also look at the new Intel NUC Systems, I hear they make great HTPC's but when you add the Memory and Hard Drive to one that is powerful enough you are getting up there in price compared to a dedicated media player.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I honestly would prefer to stream everything to a media box of some sort, but after a couple month reading on here lately, I haven't seen a media box that is not without problems. Im not into troubleshooting issues all the time and I feel just playing directly from the HTPC will give me the flexibility that a media box won't have.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Believe me I understand completely what you are talking about and was in the same exact boat as you, I've always built my own because I enjoyed it but seemed to always be dealing with some kind of issue here or there. That is why I decided to give the Dell Zino a try which worked very well with a few hiccups. I find that you will be tweaking an HTPC just as much as any other system with patches, new formats, software that is no longer supported... Ironically most people say they go with a Media player to avoid the tweaking you mentioned with an HTPC but to each their own.

This is what prompted me to start looking for a Media Player, I tried a few years back and not one of them lasted more than 2 days before being returned. This go around (Starting in December) I've tried four different ones and settled on the Mede8er which I love and does everything I want it to do. I feel that they are one of the best supported platforms next to the WD Live TV which from what i understand has grown tremendously over the last few years.

If you are set on an HTPC then my Motherboard suggestions stand but check out the Intel NUC Micro Systems, they are powerful and a lot of people are using them as HTPCs.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkadyz  /t/1519804/need-some-help-building-an-nas-htpc-setup#post_24407664

Hello All,

Here is what Im trying to accomplish. Like everyone else Im trying to get a central place where I can keep all of my movies/music/photos. I have looked into streaming via gigabit ethernet, but the codec and trans coding issues have steered me away from that. Im fairly technically savvy, but I don't think im up to dealing with some of the issues that go along with streaming.

Perhaps you are getting an overblown idea of what is involved with streaming. First, you do not need gigabit - it's nice if you have it but is not needed. Second there is no reason to transcode anything if you are simply watching on a display via a media streamer. Third there is no reason to mess with DNLA server and the like, something such as the WD SMP will easily accept network shares directly from your networked computer. It's as close to plug and play as you can get media wise.

You can use ANY computer you now have, simply add hard drives as needed. I have 4T in my main computer and stream hard wired to 4 locations in my home via 10/100 CAT5 cable. Only time I"ve had a hiccup was trying to stream 2 BD movies at once and I think my computer at the time was the bottle neck. I've tried any number of media streamers nd the WD SMP wins hands down in every comparison even out of it's price class.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Transcoding is only needed if your device(s) do not support the file format. Since, you want to use a HTPC this shouldn't be an issues. Furthermore, you will not have to stream anything since your HTPC will be storing and playing all of your files. You can use XBMC or Plex as your UI. If you want something nicer, but cost money I would suggest JRiver.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
The point I was trying to make is that the OP does not need to invest in a HTPC if he does not want to. Streaming content is not some arcane voodoo, it's basic and straight forward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts