43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to decide on a receiver. Here is what I am hooking up:

Oppo Blu-ray DVD Player

Digital Cable TV

Pioneer Elite Plasma TV

My budget is anything under $1000.

So far i am looking into the Onkyo TX-SR806.

I am also open to Pioneer or Sony.

What would you recommend?

In order to get the HD audio, I have to plug the DVD player through the amp via HDMI, correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Get the 806 refurbished from shoponkyo and call it a day ($600). Price on it right now is insane. If you can handle Silver, $549. Just sign up before you buy for a few more savings. They also usually have a 10% off sale for Holidays, and Labor Day is right around the corner.

You may be able to find the Pioneer SC-05 or SC-07 in your budget. Forget about Sony as they make junk in their lower lines. Their real high end stuff is OK if you have an additional amplifier to hook up. The Pioneers would be closer to $900-$1000 from what I can find.

Another thing to look at is the Denon AVR-3808ci. These can be found in you price range and would be another stellar unit. The 3808 is upgradeable and also has a network connection. It is the only of these units that has Audyssey Multi EQ XT. The 806 uses Audyssey Multi EQ. Pioneer has their own Room Correction (Some prefer this to Audyssey).

good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to try and find a Pioneer SC-05. What I like is that the HDMI video signal passes through the amp unprocessed. Since i will be getting a top notch Oppo BluRay, I don't want this signal to be altered in any way.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckett /forum/post/17038588

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to try and find a Pioneer SC-05. What I like is that the HDMI video signal passes through the amp unprocessed. Since i will be getting a top notch Oppo BluRay, I don't want this signal to be altered in any way.

The Onkyo's have a passthrough setting also. You don't have to use the processor if you don't want it. With that budget you can step up to the 876 from accessories4less. They also are discounting them at ShopOnkyo. Accessories4less has them in Black or Silver. But you also can't go wrong with the SC05/07. They seem to be getting harder to find though so if you choose one of these I wouldn't wait too long. Or you may have to go to Elite 25/27 for the ICE amps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts