AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone can help me choose a good soundbar. I have been reading in this forum that the JVC BA-1 or the Polk Audio 6000-IHT seems to be a good choice? I really didn't want to get the JVC BA-1 since it has been discontinued. I read that the Boston Acoustic Tvee Model 30 is pretty good but for $600 that seems alot. Are there any other good choices?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have been very happy with our Yamaha YHT-S400. I got it for $360 on sale in January, and our local hhgregg retailer currently has it for $399. If your needs (and room size) are modest, it is definitely worth a listen.

Click here to see it on Yamaha's site.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdragon /forum/post/20813526

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone can help me choose a good soundbar. I have been reading in this forum that the JVC BA-1 or the Polk Audio 6000-IHT seems to be a good choice? I really didn't want to get the JVC BA-1 since it has been discontinued. I read that the Boston Acoustic Tvee Model 30 is pretty good but for $600 that seems alot. Are there any other good choices?

No offense to the other poster but I demoed the Yamaha S400 at home and was not that impressed,,,, just my opinion.

The JVC BA1 and Polk 6000 are great picks (I've owned both of them).

Just becuase the JVC BA1 has been discontinued thats no reason to stay away from it, in my opnion JVC screwed up by discontinuing it.

I cant comment on the Boston as I have never demoed one.

Polk also has their new Polk 4000 soundbar w/ wireless sub that might be of interest, it has all the feature's that the 6000 has that the 3000 did not have, and it's smaller and cheaper than the 6000,,, I have no idea if the 4000 is as good as the 6000 (have not heard the 4000 yet).

Vizio is supposed to be releasing their new VHT215 this month (or so they have claimed) so the Vizio (if it gets released) could be another bar to look at.

My top pick though at this point in time, the Polk 6000.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/20832325

Polk also has their new Polk 4000 soundbar w/ wireless sub that might be of interest, it has all the feature's that the 6000 has that the 3000 did not have, and it's smaller and cheaper than the 6000,,, I have no idea if the 4000 is as good as the 6000 (have not heard the 4000 yet).

No offense taken on the S400!

One thing, though, that may influence the buyer's choice: The Polk 3000/4000/6000 have a single optical input. That effectively means routing from the TV into the soundbar, which may be fine for gaming, cable/sat, and OTA programming, but which will deprive you of HD audio from your Blu-rays.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes I am not too worried about the connections. Would just like something that sounds good if I am going to spend like $400. Has anyone demoed the Samsung HD-D550? I can get it for $265 today.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw that deal on the 550, was wondering the same myself. I read that the sub is pretty weak in some reviews on it, but who knows...

There's another deal on a Polk set, LINK , from Wal-Mart for $198. Polk AM1805-B to be exact. Better price, but I am in the same spot as you wanting the best sound for the best price.

The Vizio $55 deal is back for the refurbed VSB200. I'm still considering this deal, but I don't know what to do with the subwoofer option. I want a wireless sub for better placement and less wires, but it sure seems most wireless subs are lacking in power.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roemer21 /forum/post/20837838

There's another deal on a Polk set, LINK , from Wal-Mart for $198. Polk AM1805-B to be exact. Better price, but I am in the same spot as you wanting the best sound for the best price.

I'm surprised Polk would put out a soundbar which only has analog inputs -- most flat screen TVs have an optical output, which allows Dolby Digital 5.1 surround to be sent to an external audio component. Many flat screens don't even have analog audio output, so be sure to check before you buy (unless you only intend to run analog from your cable/sat box).

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSIndy /forum/post/20838018

I'm surprised Polk would put out a soundbar which only has analog inputs -- most flat screen TVs have an optical output, which allows Dolby Digital 5.1 surround to be sent to an external audio component. Many flat screens don't even have analog audio output, so be sure to check before you buy (unless you only intend to run analog from your cable/sat box).

It's funny you mention this, as I just noticed it myself and was coming back to post it. Definitely puts a damper on that unit, as optical sound is a necessity for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20838186

I've set up the Boston Acoustics TVee 25 a couple of times. If it weren't for its lousy IR angle...it would be my first option for you.

But if you sit strait from it the IR angle is not an issue.

I can't find many reviews on this unit... How is the sound quality, bass and such? Mostly movie watching for me.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Go to BB and listen to one. Easily(last time I was there) the best of the 6 they had on display.

My fav feature of it is it has 3 audio inputs.

Tos-link

Standard red/white

1/8th (would have been nice if this one was on the front)

The only "issue" with it is you need the TV's original remote to program its volume and mute. It won't program from another remote(which makes no sense).

I've tried to program it from a Harmony and a Directv remote. Even when the Harmony and Directv did the volume on the TV, they would not program the soundbar. (and it says so in the manual that you MUST use the original remote, and of course, that info is in "troubleshooting", not in the manual where it would actually make sense to be)

Last time I set one of those up, I plugged it in and "coupled" the subwoofer(out of the box and "playing" takes maybe 10 minutes) I listened to my cell phone on Slacker while I set up the rest of the house. It could be heard two rooms away.

Issues with the manual...(these issues aren't relegated to just this one. But this one has all three...yippee)

Setting up for remote volume and mute could be tons better. I scratched my head the first time, even after reading trouble shooting about the ORIGINAL remote. I've only once(out of 6 of them) got volume up, down and mute the first tries.

The DSP is explained nowhere. It has two modes. "TV" and "music", yet it tells you nothing about which is which. The DSP lights green and "reddish orange"...which DSP is which. I assume "green" is "TV" as that is the color of all "basic" use(meaning Tos-link). The three inputs are nicely covered by three different colors(some soundbars when you switch inputs you just have to wait for a response, this one at least gives you a visual cue)

When it is "at rest" on the Tos-link...if you want to switch to the RCA or 1/8th you have to turn it on first. Which you would think would be obvious by hitting the power button. The first touch of the power button actually turns it off. The second turns it back on, then you can switch inputs. If you push "input" first...it doesn't respond. Nowhere in the manual is this explained.

But those three issues aside(and one actual plus...the visual "input" reference), easily the best sounding $300-$350 soundbar there is. (which sound is the whole point in buying it, isn't it?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.