AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a poor college student that loves watching DVDs so I have decided its time to upgrade my Pioneer HTIB. After looking at my budget I believe I have around $~2700.00 to play with give or take a few hundred. I would only like a system that consists of bookshelfs and a nice subwoofer, this is for size issues and easier use of placement.

I have definitly decided that my reciever of chioce will be a Pioneer Elite 45TX. So that leaves me with around $~1800.00 for a 7.1 setup. I dont like di/bi poles and would like to go all monpoles that are equally timbre matched. I am about 95% HT and 5% music. So I have decided on the following.

These are the possible speaker combos I have decided on.

1. Aperion INTIMUS 7.1 with 12inch Subwoofer (black) (~1800) (wish it had a dedicated center).

2. Acsend Acoustics 7.1 (new center and 6 matching 170s) and a HSU VTF-3 (~1900 plus extra shipping).

3. NHT SB3 fronts, 2x SB2 rears, SC2 center and SW10ii (local dealer) (~1900).

4. Rocket HT package #8 (rsc100 and 4 rs150) and extra pair of rs150 (ebony if poss.) paired with the new UFW-10 sub or a SVS 25-31PCi (~2000 plus extra shipping) (really favoring these).

5. Swan Diva C2, 6 Swan Diva 2.1 and a Swan Sub10se or SVS 25-31PCi (~2000.00 plus extra shipping).

So I guess I need some help. I am basically a virgin audio neophile. I have heard the NHT and a B&W set. I did love the imaging with the B&Ws ($~2400.00) but liked the sound produced by those NHT's. So I guess I am asking for a little help from a more experienced audio junkie. Thanks

engen

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Hi Engen,

On the NHT front, I would recommend several things. Either go with 3 SB3s across the front and go for the SW12 (A delta of about +$100) or maybe 7 SB2s (if the dealer will split a box) and TWO SW10iis (A delta of about +$200) which is more matched and gives up a tad of deep bass for more dynamics and stereo bass placement. The ideal thing would be to do SB3s all the way around with an SW12 which would be a total delta of about +$500). NHT's biggest advantage for your use is that they are acoustic suspension designs and all will blend seamlessly with a subwoofer. If you liked the imaging of the B&Ws, and can swing a few more dollars, the NHT Evolution M5s have more detail and a bigger soundstage (and othe benefits) for only ~$300 more than the SB3/SC-2 combo and is WELL worth the extra money!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Poor? My budget was less than $500 throughout college... couldn't afford much after 36k in books, tuition, living expenses, etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a decent job that I put in 30 hours during nights. I try to pamper my self after putting a full day at college(day) and work(night). I guess one can consider this a reward but using your own money.

anyother input would be appreciated

engen

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have 5 CBM 170's and a VTF-2 in a 17x25 living room being driven by a Denon 3803, I am very happy with the sound but I listen to at least 50% music which is why I got the Ascend's. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the ascend setup you are looking at. But as in all speaker decisions everything is a tradeoff. Good Hunting...hopefully you won't be too tired from school and working to enjoy your new system.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Gee, I guess I can reclaim the title of poor college student; I had some reservations about the title with my having any decent system at all. I only have a DLP projector with a HTIB with two JBL N26's and a AT PSC25 Center. I guess if you can spend that much on sound setup along (About $1000 les then my total setup) and call your self a poor college student-so can I!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Any of those choices would be very nice. If Rockets are what you really want and you can afford them then make your dream come true. Otherwise you could get a pair of 150s, 170s, and Aperions and compare them for yourself and return the pairs you don't want to keep. I love my 170s and the imaging is great. I've only found two 150 v. 170 reviews on the net with one preferring Rockets and the other Ascend. I think the 150s extend down to the 40s while the 170s roll off in the low 70s. I think with the choices you've narrowed it down to no matter which you pick you'll be happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.