AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble converging the red in the very middle. It will not budge to the right any further and completely align with the green. Everything else is ok I guess (well, except for the constant annoying drifting). What do I need to do to get it to align directly in the middle? It must be one of the few procedures that I have not attempted myself.

Also, I noticed on the detailed help menu when I go to the red part for focus the red square that goes all around (4:3) is gone near most of the bottom right and close to the right middle section. On the tube face it's blocked off. Can't figure out why. So, I know there must be some procedure that I have yet to do that probably should do soon. I'm guessing it's raster centering right?

I've been using my remote to move the image around, but that didn't seem to help, so if anyone can tell me how to do this inside the machine I'd appreciate it.

One more thing. I'm curious about 16:9 wear. Will wear be less if the black areas above and below 16:9 images are at least projecting a very very dark gray as opposed to nothing at all? Would this at least slow down the 16:9 uneven wear process? I have a lot of 4:3 TV DVD sets, this is my main reason for concern.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Very first step: Hard reset your PJ and start over. Almost ALL ECP problems go away after this. Also, do a search for ECP setup info using the search feature of this forum - there is a weath of info about your PJ - use my name as a search parameter and you'll get all you need to set this thing up right. Start reading... ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Make sure you search the archives.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by M NEWMAN
Very first step: Hard reset your PJ and start over. Almost ALL ECP problems go away after this. Also, do a search for ECP setup info using the search feature of this forum - there is a weath of info about your PJ - use my name as a search parameter and you'll get all you need to set this thing up right. Start reading... ;)

Hm, I just did a hard reset a few days I ago. Perhaps I did it wrong this time. You hold the reset button on the remote and then press the red button on the back, correct?

I didn't always have this problem. It wasn't until I straightened out the red's lense that was knocked a little inward (towards the green) during shipping. I had left it knocked inward for a while and decided to fix it one day by straightening it out like the other two. Well, this made the convergence change, obviously (I fixed most of it), but ever since then it wouldn't align all the way in the very middle and red convergence wouldn't budge any further to the right only at the middle section only (unless pulled by another piece of the convergence).

I'm tempted to just push the lens back inward towards the green again for an easy fix, but surely that must affect focus negatively. I'll try to seach, but I'll be surprised if I find what I'm looking for.

Let me know if i did that hard reset correctly.

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm no expert but I also own an ECP. You did the reset correctly, you can check because most settings go back to 5. Curt's website just added a page on ECP's and has some helpful info. I would say that your not seeing the square is because your using digital convergence to align the red, causing it to move to far in and losing your picture off the tube face. Move your projector closer to your screen until you get your desired size with maximum raster. Then use mechanical convergence to move the tubes in until aligned with green. Then use your digital convergence to align the test pattern perfectly. Hopefully that helps

Trent

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnErT
I'm no expert but I also own an ECP. You did the reset correctly, you can check because most settings go back to 5. Curt's website just added a page on ECP's and has some helpful info. I would say that your not seeing the square is because your using digital convergence to align the red, causing it to move to far in and losing your picture off the tube face. Move your projector closer to your screen until you get your desired size with maximum raster. Then use mechanical convergence to move the tubes in until aligned with green. Then use your digital convergence to align the test pattern perfectly. Hopefully that helps

Trent

I've never done mechanical convergence before. How is it done? Is it the lens pivot?

Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
The red and blue guns will typically be tilted inward depending on how far back your projector is from the screen. This was not caused by shipping. This is called "toe-in." Do you have a users manual?

You really need to do the search M Newman suggested. Below is such a post that I saved from Mike:

"I've been noticing quite a bit of toe-in and raster centering banter for ECP's, and many of you are doing it the wrong way. Rule #1: NEVER use green convergence to center any of the rasters left/right. You MUST use the DC offset pots on the power deflection boards to do this properly. If you use green convergence or red/blue covergence to center raster, then do toe-ins, you deserve all the drift you're gonna get, 'cause it's gonna be a lot. Hard reset your PJ's and start over. Looking into each CRT, and adjust the pot until the raster (and I mean the test pattern ONLY - do not do this on a video image) is centered left/right. Up/down centering really isn't necessary unless the test pattern actually hits top or bottom of CRT at the size you need to project. If it's just close to centered, leave it alone - it won't cause problems. The DC offset pot is in the middle (approximately) on the older power deflection boards, and next to the big black heat sink and deflection coil molex connectors on the newer style boards. After success on these, re-check your stigmator/flare alignments, which affect raster centering, adjust, and then re-center if needed. THEN you can do your toe-ins. If (before doing toe-ins) your green doesn't squarely hit the screen (side to side) and you can't physically twist the PJ to center the raster on the screen, then loosen the green CRT, allens on the bulkhead (the little ones on top, under the little red caps - facing the sky on a floor mounted PJ) and then move the CRT assembly in the direction it needs to turn. Although the green wasn't setup with the range the red/blue have, the bolt holes are loose enough to get some movement. Now you can finally do your toe-ins properly, and stop wasting your time. Procedure is everything with these things. Good luck to you all...

Mike

PS: USE ONLY INSULATED SCREWDRIVER (SMALL) TO ADJUST POTS - YOU'RE NEXT TO SERIOUS VOLTAGES THAT CAN CAUSE YOU TO HAVE A VERY BAD DAY!...."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.