AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To what should i set my bose acoustimass 6 5.1 system ?

What speaker size ? and crossover ? and bass and lfe of the bass module.

And what to setup up the bass and treble?

Im with onkyo receiver.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The bass module does all of the bass management, so set all of your speakers to large.

If you really like your Bose then only read my first paragraph and never come back to this thread again (this is not meant mean-spirited, just if you do come back you may get discouraged by others comments).

Expect the most common expert advice you will receive to be "sell the Bose and buy some real HT speakers".

Your Bose system does not go low enough to be considered to have a sub-woofer and a sub-woofer is needed for a good HT experience.

Your Bose system also has significant holes in other areas of the frequency spectrum, so no adjusting of bass and treble controls will fix it.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/20897623

The bass module does all of the bass management, so set all of your speakers to large.

If you really like your Bose then only read my first paragraph and never come back to this thread again.

Expect the most common expert advice you will receive to be "sell the Bose and buy some real HT speakers".

Your Bose system does not go low enough to be considered to have a sub-woofer and a sub-woofer is needed for a good HT experience.

Your Bose system also has significant holes in other areas of the frequency spectrum, so no adjusting of bass and treble controls will fix it.

This is the best advice you could ever hope to get from here on a Bose system.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/20897623

If you really like your Bose then only read my first paragraph and never come back to this thread again.

You forgot to add welcome to the forums and have a nice day!

After all, Bose owners might be guilty of owning a pretty terrible speaker, but they're not mortal enemies...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc /forum/post/20898679

You forgot to add welcome to the forums and have a nice day!

Yeah, like we've all said plenty before, it's not people's fault that Bose has a kick-a** marketing team. They've convinced the world that their sound actually bests all...

Bose sounds nice to ears that haven't had the blessing (or curse in my case
-buying $1600 in speakers in the past 2 months and still getting ready to buy 2 more $800 towers, all while having almost zero income :p) of hearing better.

As Gooddoc said, welcome!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic /forum/post/20898709

Yeah, like we've all said plenty before, it's not people's fault that Bose has a kick-a** marketing team. They've convinced the world that their sound actually bests all...

Bose sounds nice to ears that haven't had the blessing (or curse in my case
-buying $1600 in speakers in the past 2 months and still getting ready to buy 2 more $800 towers, all while having almost zero income :p) of hearing better.

As Gooddoc said, welcome!

May i ask what speakers are you gonna get please?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl /forum/post/20898808

There's lot of really good choices - and folks here are always happy to throw out opinions and suggestions.

In order to get them you need to tell us:

- what's your budget

- what size is your room

- what is your music, movies, TV mix

- what speakers have you listened to - which did you like, which did you dislike

- do you have size or aesthetics constraints

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl /forum/post/20898808

Me? Hopefully some Energy RC-50s

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl /forum/post/20897586

To what should i set my bose acoustimass 6 5.1 system ?

What speaker size ? and crossover ? and bass and lfe of the bass module.

And what to setup up the bass and treble?

Im with onkyo receiver.
http://products.bose.com/pdf/custome.../og_am6_10.pdf

Speakers in your Acoustimass® 6 Series III or Acoustimass 10 Series IV system are fully !

compatible with the audio output of digital surround receivers. The system’s integrated signal

processing supports full low-frequency reproduction from all channels.

To gain complete advantage of these system capabilities, you may want to adjust some!

settings on your receiver. To make changes, use the digital display menu on the receiver and

refer to the list of recommended settings, below.

Speaker Receiver setting

• Left and right LARGE

• Center LARGE

• Left and right surround LARGE

• LFE/Subwoofer ON

Note: If your receiver provides it, the LFE or Subwoofer option setting should be ON and the

crossover value at the lowest number possible, which is typically 80 Hz.

I am surprised Bose recommends 80Hz crossover, I would have guessed the highest crossover available would be a better choice.

Enjoy your system, while Bose is not my preference its not as bad as a lot of the people here let on.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl /forum/post/20898983

Do they produce good sound during movies ?

Yeah, they're just expensive and they're discontinued so finding them is a pain.

If you're wanting to get other speakers, let us know so people can start suggesting speakers to you.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite /forum/post/20900016

S&V measurements tended to look like ass back in 2000...even high end speakers were measuring +/-5dB in their "measurements"

One reason for that would be that even high end speakers can have +/-5dB response.

There's very little correlation between price and performance in audio. One shining example of that would be... Bose.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
S&V's measurements include off axis data which is double weighted for the off axis measurements. I commend them for taking off axis measurements. However, the double weighting can make the numbers seem worse than they are.

Any speaker will not measure the same off axis as on axis. The graphs between the off axis and on axis measurements would be more revealing on how the speaker performs. A good speaker will have some high frequency roll off off axis but other than that its graph should look very similar to the on axis graph. If the off axis graph starts to look ugly compared to the on axis that would not be as good.

The graph they show and the +/- db number might not tell the whole story. Showing the graphs where you can see at what angle (15 degree increments would be fine) the speaker starts performing poorly would give a lot of info. It would help determine speaker and acoustic treatment placements and people could make better puchase decisions.

Home Theater magazine does measurements and averages them over +/- 15 degree window. That would give a better idea of their on axis response looks like as most speakers don't look terrible 15 degrees off axis, although some do. If possible compare the two magazine graphs and you'll have some idea how the speaker performs.

Now with Bose particuarly. If you set up the double cubes with one aiming at the first reflection point and one aiming at the listener you'll get better performance and might get better performance than other 2.5" 'full range speakers' (choke, choke) than if aimed directly. Bose hasn't overcome physics, a 2.5" driver will suffer in the mid-bass and high frequencies and a 5.5" woofer is not going deep. Although Atlantic Technology did get good bass out of two 5.5" drivers with their HPAS but the cabinet is larger and doesn't include the amp than the Bose bass module.

Having better sound will not disturb your neighbors, just don't turn it up. If you can go with a slightly larger speaker with say a 3-4" midrange and separate tweeter that have a good off axis response pair it with a decent 8-10" subwoofer they will eat the Bose for lunch. Those can easily be found under your price range.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice /forum/post/20899410

It's probably worse than most even suspect.
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I have never understood the emotional response that Bose evokes in so many people that frequent this forum.

They are a healthy company that sells their products through in store displays and demonstrations so the majority of the people buying them are doing so after an audition.

The places that sell Bose pretty much have a universal satisfaction / money back policy.

It really does not get more straight forward or risk free than that.

Here is a typical Bose buying experience...

A person walks into "name the big box store here" strolls down the aisle, comes to the Bose display, stops and listens, makes the purchase, goes home, is happy.

If they decide they are not happy (probably won't come into play) all they have to do is pack it back up and return it to "name the big box store" and get a full refund.

Please tell me what is wrong with that.

There are many ID forum speaker/sub darlings that ask people to purchase sight unseen with the assurance that you have a 30 day in home trial and can send the speakers back if you don't like them.... for a full refund minus one way shipping... wow, what a deal that is.

I have seen the Bose frequency response hole called out many times, but like anything else if you take the parts out of context the picture can be painted to make something appear better or worse than it really is.

In any properly set up system if you measure the subwoofer and the rest of the speakers individually you will see the same type of crossover response.

If you don't see that then its not setup correctly.

Just by looking at the graph in the article that was linked to I see nothing wrong with the Bose crossover response.

What you see is the individual crossovers and not the overall combined frequency response.

The complete set is designed to be used together as a system so don't take each part and dogpile it using a criteria intended for individual components.

There needs to be another line on that graph showing the combined response... of course that line would refute the entire article so it was left out.

Now that I have 'defended' Bose (spit, hack, cough, spit again) I do not recommend them.

I think they are the equivalent a (Sony, LG, Samsung, Yamaha...) home theater in a box system that retails on sale for $500

These systems typically include some sort of BD player and AVR, or a DVD/BD player with unified amplifier as well as the speakers.

I know lots of people with HTIB systems and a few with Bose systems, they are all happy.

Funny thing is the people with Bose systems look down on other equipment else just like the people here look down on the Bose gear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.