AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house had a home theater in it when we bought it and I am looking to upgrade. The ceiling and wall where screen is mounted are black (flat) and side walls are a deep red. The proposal from my local home theater store has recommended a Sony Pearl mounted using the Sony PSS-610 and a 100" FH SST.

My question is do I really need a SST when I have complete light control and dark colors in room? or would they be suggesting that so ambient light could be on? I was thinking a ST130 might be a better choice but not sure.

Also, has anyone used the Sony-PSS-610 ceiling mount? or is there a better recommendation?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Consider the Chief mount RPA 020, its a low profile mount, you can add a pipe if needed.

For the screen, just start with the one you have for now.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT /forum/post/0

Consider the Chief mount RPA 020, its a low profile mount, you can add a pipe if needed.

For the screen, just start with the one you have for now.

That is what I have for my Pearl and a Dalite High Power screen 106" in the same type of room. 500 hours on the bulb and it is still plenty bright.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I would go with the High power too- in fact, I probably will in a couple months.

If you are a DIY guy, you can make a larger screen out of 1"x2"s and about $20 worth of Blackout fabric to tide you over until the bulb ages a bit and you need to get a screen with some gain.

everytime I've seen the Pearl with the SST screen, I've not been impressed. It sounds like you don't need to compensate for the room, so I would definitely stay away from them.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
The 1.3 would work good with the Pearl. I have DaLite's 1.3 cinema vision material at 104" and looks amaizing. Also use the Cheif mount the Sony one is just over priced.

Nate

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,517 Posts
Greetings,

I am also using the Chief Mount. The screen I am using with my Pearl is a Carada Precision Brilliant White. This is an excellent combination in my room. My front wall is covered in black duck cloth and the ceiling and side walls are painted dark green.

Regards,

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I would work with the screen you have now to start. Quite honestly, the SST is decent, but in many situations I don't find it to be the best fabric for teh Pearl. In fact, I rarely use it with the Pearl (there are other fabrics from Stewart that work better in many applications).

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a brown ceiling with a very dark brown wall in a completely light controlled room. I am also using the Chief RPA mount with a 100-inch Carada Brilliant White screen and have plenty of brightness. I am using low power lamp mode an have about 200 hours on the bulb and it is very bright. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have dark brown walls, but a white ceiling. I am using the Chief mount and it is very solid and allows for some flexibility in movement. It was also considerably less expensive than the Sony mount. I am using a 106" Carada Brilliant white (supposedly a 1.4 gain) screen and I am very satisfied. It has similar characteristics to the Studiotech 130. I have not seen an SST, but I have read varying posts and short comments that it tends to darken whites and highlights. I have windows on one wall. With the shades closed, which still allows some light, or with 2 downward lights at the opposite end of the room from the screen at nite, the picture is still very viewable for sports, general tv, ect. even in the low bulb mode. I have only 159 hours on the lamp, however. You need to be careful with projector placement and seating position with any hi-power screen. Some are worse than others, but in my experience they all will focus light off the screen back at the source; ie the projector, in a narrow cone. For best results with such screens, the projector should be mounted on a table or shelf as near as possible to the line of sight of the viewer. Ceiling mounting is often problematic. Also, I saved considerable dollars on cables going with RAM and Monoprice. I am using a 35 foot HDMI and have experienced no problems whatsoever. Best of luck with the theater. I think the Pearl is a great choice. I would, however, recommend an ISF calibration to wring the best out of it. In my case, it was well worth the money for eht calibration in terms of skin tone and shadow detail. Have FUN!

·
Registered
553 Posts
High Power all the way......

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian27 /forum/post/0

I have my Pearl in a table mounted and look terrific, without any problem ( screen: ELITE CINETENSION HIGH CONTRAST GRAY) settting MENU SERVICE OTHER IRIS:1

With Iris setting set to one, you have defeated the dynamic Iris and lowered your contrast ratio to about 5000:1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.