AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved from 5.1 back to 2 channel in the late 90's. I recently updated my TV to a 58" Panasonic plasma and added a Panasonic BD60 BD player. My system now is as below.


Rotel RC-972 preamp

Rotel RB-991 amp

B&W 603 speakers

M&K MX-125ii Sub

Panasonic Plasma

Panasonic BD player


Here is my problem. Obviously my Rotels are analog and my new additions are digital. In the past I used a DVD player (Toshiba) for my CD music and it seemed OK. The BD player sounds great using Blu-ray discs and DVDs but sounds boomy as hell playing CDs. I hate that.


So, do I try and find a good stand alone CD player (thinking old school like the Rotel RCD-975) or do I shuck my Rotels and bite the 7.1 channel receiver bullet? Can I find an AV receiver for less than a couple grand that will meet the specs of my Rotels? Thanks in advance for your help.


Old School
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts
There is no reason that CDs should be sounding boomy relative to other discs. Would be worth checking how the sub is being integrated to the system, and how the bass management in the BD player is set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may be correct. I am in the audio menu for the BD player now. Do I want the "digital audio output" options set to bitstream or pcm? I assume I want PCM downconversion set to "on"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctichawk /forum/post/19552704


You may be correct. I am in the audio menu for the BD player now. Do I want the "digital audio output" options set to bitstream or pcm? I assume I want PCM downconversion set to "on"?

It probably won't matter since the digital audio output is not being heard. You are using the analog outputs, and for that, I believe you have the internal speaker setup defined as L/R = Large and all the rest = none. But how are you deriving the feed for the subwoofer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My sub is fed directly from one of the two outputs from the preamp (the other feeds directly into the amp). There is no "loudness" button on the preamp and the tone feature is set to off (no bass or treble alteration).


Remember, it sounds great when listening to BD discs, DVDs and even the sound feed from my Dish Network box. It is just the CDs that sound boomy. I would think this would rule out most things except for the BD players ability to process the CD?


I do have the BD player audio set to stereo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctichawk /forum/post/19562152


My sub is fed directly from one of the two outputs from the preamp (the other feeds directly into the amp). There is no "loudness" button on the preamp and the tone feature is set to off (no bass or treble alteration).


Remember, it sounds great when listening to BD discs, DVDs and even the sound feed from my Dish Network box. It is just the CDs that sound boomy. I would think this would rule out most things except for the BD players ability to process the CD?


I do have the BD player audio set to stereo.

If CDs sound wrong, maybe that suggests the sub is not adjusted optimally. Have you tried reducing the gain or shifting the internal low-pass filter lower? What frequency is it set for at the moment? Are the mains running full range? If so, how are you preventing duplicating bass in the overlap region?


Once that is right, see how movies sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctichawk /forum/post/0


I moved from 5.1 back to 2 channel in the late 90's. I recently updated my TV to a 58" Panasonic plasma and added a Panasonic BD60 BD player. My system now is as below.


Rotel RC-972 preamp

Rotel RB-991 amp

B&W 603 speakers

M&K MX-125ii Sub

Panasonic Plasma

Panasonic BD player


Here is my problem. Obviously my Rotels are analog and my new additions are digital. In the past I used a DVD player (Toshiba) for my CD music and it seemed OK. The BD player sounds great using Blu-ray discs and DVDs but sounds boomy as hell playing CDs. I hate that.


So, do I try and find a good stand alone CD player (thinking old school like the Rotel RCD-975) or do I shuck my Rotels and bite the 7.1 channel receiver bullet? Can I find an AV receiver for less than a couple grand that will meet the specs of my Rotels? Thanks in advance for your help.


Old School

Since you bought digital source, it is time to go all digital. For under $1000 you can buy Demon 3311. It will serve as DAC/preamp, you can keep your power amplifier, if you do not like internal one. Use HDMI for all digital connections. As an additional bonus, you get proper bass management and room response correction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My sub is currently set to 75Hz. I am sure my main speakers are duplicating the bass from 75Hz on down but I don't have a way to change this. I did flip the "bypass/Variable" switch form bypass to variable and it eliminated my boomy bass issue. I am not sure what this switch does but it fixed my issue. Thanks for all the help guys.


As far as making the fully digital plunge, I am researching this possibility. I have been looking at the Marantz SR7005 as one possibility. I could still use my Rotel amp (through the Marantz pre outs) to drive my mains correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
If you buy a $20 CD player at Walmart, an ipod, an old audiophile Cd player - or anything other than an LP turntable you have to deal with turning digital signals into analog sound.


The ipod and the $20 Cd player and all others have those built in. High end guys pay 20K just for a good DAC, and it might do a better job than an ipod or any CD player.


There is a middle ground. Buy a good DAC and a cheap CD player with a digital output. Better yet, all Cd players are just computers you cannot upgrade. Use one of those with an external DAC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctichawk /forum/post/19569311


My sub is currently set to 75Hz. I am sure my main speakers are duplicating the bass from 75Hz on down but I don't have a way to change this. I did flip the "bypass/Variable" switch form bypass to variable and it eliminated my boomy bass issue. I am not sure what this switch does but it fixed my issue.

That switch defeats the variable crossover you had set for 75 Hz, so it was playing the bass up to wherever the woofer poops out, maybe 200-300 Hz. That would clearly be the source of boominess! Glad that's sorted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I would also recommend you look into simply buying a stand-alone DAC if you do not want to get rid of your preamp.


I purchased a Headroom ultra micro DAC as they were liquidating their supply (as they discontinued their ultra line of dac's) and it supplements my existing analog 2-channel setup very nicely. It accepts USB, coax and optical so you'll be able to connect virtually anything to it.


The fact is that you already have a decent system and there's no real reason for you to ditch your preamp. Investing money in a stand-alone dac made sense for me as I'll be able to use this baby for years to come no matter what I decide to do with my other components.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top