AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've recently moved into my new place. Had a builder build a media room as close to my specs as I could get them to. This included a wall cutout into the equipment closet, and a platform for the MA rack.

Well, the cutout is pretty close in size (just a tad big, so that's ok, I'll trim it out) and surprisingly square. However, the platform it sits on is not even close to square. There is a pretty serious backwards cant to it.

Now, I'm pretty sure I don't have the carpentry skills to actually level the platform, but I've got an alternate plan, and I'd like the input of the experts here.

The plan:

So first of all, I noticed that there's some nice, threaded holes for casters on the bottom of the rack. What I want to do is get some nice, big machine screws that fit those holes and use them to 'jack up' the platform. I should be able to dial it right in to perfectly level right? (I figure if you can put casters in here and load up the rack, they're obviously strong enough to hold it up.

To secure the rack, I'd go for some lag bolts through the bottom holes with a few oversized washers shimmed in to cover any gaps from the jacking operation.

So... am I crazy? will this work? Should I put something underneath the 'jacks' rather than just running them down onto the wood? Should I go a different direction altogether?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I would just create some wood shims under the bottom corners of the rack that need it. Actually, assuming you screw the rack into place on the sides, the bottom won't matter much anyway.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so it turns out those holes aren't for casters (they use other holes) but for...

LEVELING FEET!

Ordered those up and should be well on my way.

As far as the sides go: there's a small gap on either side, so before I screwed them in I was going to put a couple of washers around the screw?

Is this the right way to do it? (And why do I love washers so much?)

·
Registered
982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat /forum/post/19606385

Ok, so it turns out those holes aren't for casters (they use other holes) but for...

LEVELING FEET!

Ordered those up and should be well on my way.

As far as the sides go: there's a small gap on either side, so before I screwed them in I was going to put a couple of washers around the screw?

I dont see any problem with this. washers just distribute the load, so its usually never a bad thing to use them, unless its limiting the amount of threads that are biting into material. (i.e. short screws)

use leveling feet on lots of server rack build outs i have done, they work great

Matt

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat /forum/post/19606385

If the washers are enough to fill the gap, sure - or shim like a prehung door and screw through the shims (and cover the shims along with the gap with trim of course).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts