AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Playback of Blu-Ray disc's, Blu-Ray .mkv rips, DVD rips, and so on. Also need to playback 5.1 and be able to upgrade to 7.1 when I get 2 more speakers.

Looking to get away from Streaming to my PS3 and just use my PS3 for games only.

The Q6600 is probably a little overkill for what I need it for really don't need Quad core for this? Should I sell it and maybe grab the i3-530 Dual Core I can get that for about $100 will prob have to sell the DDR2 also and get DDR3.

I have a few parts from my old Computer when the MB died on me.

CPU - Q6600 (would need a heatsink my aftermarket one was big and no longer have the stock one)
Ram - 4GB DDR 2
GPU- EVGA 8800 GT OC (my friend has a 9800 he will give me if I need it not sure what one though)
PSU- Corsair TX750w
Blu Ray- Lite On Blu Ray player

I rather have a case that looks like a AVR and small and just hold 1 Drive for the OS and 1 for the Blu Ra player then have a case something like THIS to store all the media storage. Maybe even have it ran into my Home Network instead of the Esata.

Not sure what look for in a MB.

Currently have about 6 HDD or 9TB of storage. Not really looking for a Raid setup. I started to buy 2 of the same HDD when I buy one and once that drive is filled I clone it and store the clone Safe away from the computer.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It doesn't much matter if you keep the Q6600 or go with an i3. Both are more than capable of what you're looking to do. If you stick with your current setup, you will have to replace the video card with something that is capable of bitstreaming, though it wouldn't be necessary until you were actually ready to go 7.1.

The motherboard is not all that important, since you'll be using either a dedicated GPU with the Q6600 or the on-chip GPU with the i3. The case is entirely up to your own tastes. Browse Newegg and pick out one you like.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDestroyer8418 /forum/post/18206461

Playback of Blu-Ray disc's, Blu-Ray .mkv rips, DVD rips, and so on. Also need to playback 5.1 and be able to upgrade to 7.1 when I get 2 more speakers.

Looking to get away from Streaming to my PS3 and just use my PS3 for games only.

The Q6600 is probably a little overkill for what I need it for really don't need Quad core for this? Should I sell it and maybe grab the i3-530 Dual Core I can get that for about $100 will prob have to sell the DDR2 also and get DDR3.

I have a few parts from my old Computer when the MB died on me.

CPU - Q6600 (would need a heatsink my aftermarket one was big and no longer have the stock one)
Ram - 4GB DDR 2
GPU- EVGA 8800 GT OC (my friend has a 9800 he will give me if I need it not sure what one though)
PSU- Corsair TX750w
Blu Ray- Lite On Blu Ray player

I rather have a case that looks like a AVR and small and just hold 1 Drive for the OS and 1 for the Blu Ra player then have a case something like THIS to store all the media storage. Maybe even have it ran into my Home Network instead of the Esata.

Not sure what look for in a MB.

Currently have about 6 HDD or 9TB of storage. Not really looking for a Raid setup. I started to buy 2 of the same HDD when I buy one and once that drive is filled I clone it and store the clone Safe away from the computer.

What's your main driver? Minimize cost? Future proof? Other?

Its clear beyond doubt that the Q6600 is more than adequate. It is a 'hot' chip, though, any much tougher to run quiet/silent than the i3.

A low-cost 775 MB + ATI 5450 would probably cost ~$100-150 depending on features, another $40 or so for a quiet low-profile cooler. So your into the $200 range to re-use the parts you have.

You still need a new MB for the i3, but they tend to run more expensive than the 775 boards because they are newer and have on-board video support. But you also save by not needing separate video. i3 chip ~$100, MB ~$100, new memory ~$60-90. Together puts you into the $300 range (depending on exact parts and your shopping savvy).

So the i3 direction will cost you ~$100 more. What do you get for that $100? A CPU that runs cooler, a (slightly) less capable GPU - but then again you are not gaming, and a 'newer' rig.

Of course, you could probably get some/most of the $100 back selling the parts you have...I'd probably go with the i3.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
An i3 is going to much quieter and cooler system than anything with a Q6600 in it. Depending on what else you have in the case it can be the only actively cooled part in the box.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm going to go with the i3 was looking at this MB maybe LINKY

I'll prob pickup a 30GB SSD for the OS, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Blu Ray drive I have, Case Ill find one, and if possible I'd like to toss in a 1TB HDD and use that drive as a DVR so I can get rid of the Comcast DVR. Not sure if I need anything else to make it work as a DVR.

I want to keep the case smaller and clean and keep the main storage away from system either by Network attached somehow or with Esata so I can turn the Media storage on and off when needed and not have that running all the time.

When I do go 7.1 what kind of card would I be looking at.

I'm trying to keep this simple and not over think it otherwise I'll never get it done.

A few people offered me $150 for the Q6600 and DDR2 RAM so I think it be smart to sell it and go with the i3. Yea that chip ran hot I still would of been using it if my 680i MB didn't crap out and I would of upgraded later in the year I figured it was better to spend money on the i7-920 then try to upgrade the old Q6600 system.

Thanks for your help so far.

Oh yea my AVR is a Denon AVR 2809CI so when playing a Blu Ray Disc I still want to get all the HD codecs to play.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Clarkdale supports HD bit streaming so all you'll need is a drive, an HDMI cable, and a copy of PDVD/TMT to get 7.1 full fidelity audio working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts