AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a business that needs to be able to run audio to 9 different rooms. I want people to be able to plug in their own audio device through aux cable to hear their own music. However, after an hour or a set time, I want their music to fade or cut off and have my music played instead.

I have the speakers covered, I am more concerned with what to use to run the system. Should I be putting a separate receiver in each room? If so, how would I be able to control them all from a central location? I also want the music change to be automated.

I do not want an issue with one central unit that controls all the audio to affect all the rooms. If something aside from a massive power surge or a blackout happened I want at most one room affected instead of all.

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated. Only low audio is going through this system. No video.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Radio Design Labs makes a couple modules that will work for you. One has a "ducking" control that mutes one audio feed to allow another to take precedenceand can be controlled by a simple, settable duration timer. The other module is a low wattage power amp-one for each room.

What kind of volume are you looking for?

Background music?

How many speakers in each room?

Do you have the speakersa or do you have a preference?

Local volume control in each room?

The modules are small enough to be built into a single rack mopunt unit and cabling can be remotely run to each room OR a unit for eqach room can be built into a small cabinet so each room is totally independent. Either way, the systems would likely need an experienced installer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Volume will remain steady and will not change. 2 speakers per room.I need to use outdoor speakers as they may be affected by saltwater air. I would prefer some nice in wall/ceiling speakers, but I worrythat they will corrode too much and not be covered by warranty due to the environment they will be in.

The only thing that will be changed is which music player will be used in each room. Whether it be iPod or another Mp3 player. If you can suggest better speaker ideas I am all ears. They will be in a room that has a pool of saltwater in it. My worry is when the salt water evaporates it will take some of the salt with it and will end up in the speakers.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Salt water condension and corrosion will most likely be an issue. Weather proof speakers are available but they usually mean rain resistant and therefore FRESH water resistant. I would suggest looking not at stereo style speakers but rather at marine speakers. Finding these with decent fidelity may be a challenge. I will do a little searching and see what I can find.

You will most likely need a local volume control as the fixed levels between players can be dramatically different. In addition, the input connection in the room may also suffer salt air corrosion. Would I be correct in assuming this ius a type of spa? If you are using salt water then most everything in the room will need corrosion protection, especially electrical and aluminum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like a spa. The condensation from the saltwater is limited, but, definitely present. Marine speakers are definitely an idea. Would they at least sound decent in comparison to home theater speakers? I am looking into the best ways to minimize corrosion for the contacts. I think the best method would be to have a rubber cover over them and have covered when not in use. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts