AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day to you all. I am trying to find info on screens to use. Specifically the V7 from AVscience. Is it a good quality and worth the money compared to anything else out there?

My room is 14x26x9. I have purchased an Epson UB6050 (I think is the number) projector. The room is not completely finished, so I can still change some things if needed. I'm planning for an AT screen as my speakers are going to be behind it and mount it in a way that allows me to raise and lower it in order to gain access behind the screen. Also, I'm thinking on a 150 inch screen with a ratio aspect 16:9. Room will be painted dark brown and windows will be blacked out, so light control should be good.

My seating position is 14-16 feet from the screen. The projector will be about the same distance from screen. Not sure what else I can include and I am not a theater wiz, so if I have missed anything please ask.
Thank you

Mario

·
Registered
408 Posts
With an AT screen and one that is 150" you may need to run the projector in high lamp mode to get a bright enough image. The downside to high lamp mode is that the cooling fans will make noise and generate heat. I was recently able to relocate my projector to an adjacent room and shoot the image through a hole in the wall. This is awesome as it means you can't hear it in the theater and it also doesn't heat the room up. (this is why in movie theaters the projector is always located in it's own workspace. Those big PJs generate alot of heat and noise.)

Background info: Screen choice can be a challenge as there are usually compromises involved. Yes the V7 is a very good acoustically transparent screen. The challenge with an AT screen is that it is not as high gain as some other screens, meaning that it doesn’t reflect as much light. Also, the challenge with a big screen is that you only have so much light from the projector so the bigger you go the darker the image will look. So when you go with a large AT screen you run the risk of it not being bright enough. The good news is that the Epson is quite bright so might be good enough, especially in high lamp mode. The downside is that in high lamp mode the fans will make noise and the lamp will generate heat.

Lastly, there will be some trial and error involved to see what kind of image you like. Some of us like bright images, while some of us like less bright images with alot of contrast. If you fall into the latter category you might not need to run the PJ in high power mode.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the rapid response. Unfortunately I do not have the option to put the projector in a different room. This is the upstairs of a three car garage and have use the entire length. Likewise with the acoustically transparent screen I don’t want the speakers exposed because I have four children running around so I’m trying to minimize the exposure. If I do have to run it on high, it’s a good thing I put its own air conditioner in that room upstairs so I can cool it off as much as necessary. Also I can
Adjust position of the projector to minimize noise over my head.i spoke to Craig at about science and he recommends the V7 screen. He sent me samples of the six and seven and I got to see to seven does look much better. I wish I had the know how to make the screen myself but I think that would be a bust in a waste of time and money. Hahahahah.
Appreciate your insight thank you very much

·
Registered
822 Posts
IMHO the Epson will easily throw a 150' picture from that distance in a darked-out treated room on medium power. The Epson is a light cannon, but be realistic and consider all the factors. Light control, screen size, throw distance and desired image quality are all factors If you calibrate the PJ for highest quality source material you will lose some light. and might have to run on full power to get the picture quality you want,,,so I'd recommend going over to the 5050/5060 thread and asking the guys there about what picture quality you can expect throwing a 150's from 14-16 feet and work backwards on picking a screen based on nailing down all of those factors first. Without going into details, I'll just say good screens are expensive and don't scrimp. A really good screen should be able to serve you well through several future projector upgrades. AND, you should not make a screen decision until you know the seating distance, ambient light, seating width, and what the major percentage of your viewing material quality will be.

Full disclosure, I run a 5050 onto a 120' Dalite HC cinema contour gray 1.1 gain screen from 15 feet in a lighter colored room with a little ambient light. If the room is completely dark medium power is sometimes a little too bright depending on the source material. 90+% of my viewing is HD Cable TV and Streaming content enhanced to 4k and. the results are spectacular using out of the box settings so I have no desire to calibrate the 5050 or convert my theater into a bat cave.vI think you'll find the vast majority of 5050/60 users will tell you the same thing. If you want the highest quality image the 5060 can throw from the highest definition content in a bat cave...well that's an entirely different scenario.

Learn all you can about screens as you cement your room specifics....seating distance, ambient light, source material, and viewing angle. Way too often people are "upsold" higher profit brand ALR screens (I'm not saying all ALR's are bad). What I am saying is many folks would have a much better image if they had a higher quality grey or white screen with the proper gain and viewing angle limited to the angle of their actual seating width depending on the amount of light in the room. Hope there is something useful here. Good Luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have tried to get it nailed down on the position... I am 95% My sitting position will be 16 feet and camera will be 17 or so... I have speakers ready to put up and I am pretty set on screen size... The actual screen is all I am lacking... I know nothing about it and I am trying to educate myself. I agree that this screen should be on my way for the next few years So I am not hesitant to spend some coin on it.. just don't want to waste it.... the V7 from AV science seems to be a good and reasonable screen.. Not sure the gain and all on it but I have nothing to compare it to so I am at a loss there... and where I live, there is not place for me to go see it and compare.... I am left with reviews and others' input and I try to do the best I can with what I have... isn't that the age old fight???!!! hahahaah

Any way I do appreciate all the input and I keep looking and reading... I want to make the best decision I can and then I will stop looking!!!! hahahahahaha

Thanks

Mario

1 - 5 of 5 Posts