AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Samsung LN46B630 LCD TV, a Slim PS3 and an ONKYO HT-S7100 Surround, my current setup is:

PS3 HDMI to Onkyo Receiver, then from Onkyo to TV (via HDMI), everything works perfectly.

What I want to know is if its possible to also have my TV Speakers used as "playback" while the PS3 is going through the Onkyo receiver. Could I connect the PS3's other audio output (optical?) to the TV, and have both active?

I have tried that, but it is not working for me; I want to know if this is a settings issue or a setup that is not supported.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The optical on the TV is almost certainly an output, not an input (for sound if you're using the TV's internal tuner.)

Better to run analog audio (red/white) from the PS3 to the TV. I think the PS3 has an adapter for that purpose.

Are you running the TV speakers separately from the receiver, or simultaneously?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that you say that, you are correct it is only an OUT for the digital optic, just verified it.. doh!

I want to be able to use the TV Speakers and Surround at same time during playback or say, when playing a video game on the PS3 (which is connected to the Receiver, and only the receiver produces sound, and not the TV).

In that case, if I run analog to TV from PS3, will it enable the surround & tv speakers?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It should work (assuming a PS3 outputs over analog and HDMI at the same time.)

Can't say for sure if it would sound that good (TV speakers and surround sound systems were not designed to work that way), or that it won't have synchronization issues, but feel free to experiment.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxoid /forum/post/19559177

In that case, if I run analog to TV from PS3, will it enable the surround & tv speakers?

Should work using PS3 AV MULTI OUT (RCA cables) with HDMI by setting "Audio Mult-Output to On under Sound Settings.

Use the Tv HDMI-1 Input and get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and connect it to PC/DVI Audio In.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried enabling on my Receiver to use TV Speakers as well (it was in the setup), but the Audio is out of sync by 1sec, which makes a "echo" like effect.

Going to try the 2nd option suggested, using RCA cables and setting the option in PS3.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Could you tell us why you want to use the tv speakers in addition to your surround system. Is it that the center channel on the surround system isn't loud enough? If that's the reason you can always turn up the gain on the center channel.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
He might be in the mindset of more speakers = better sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts