AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wracking my brain here, but I've triple checked everything I can think of.

I have a dual opposed sealed sonosub... one of Beast's old ones... with 2 SI 18 D4's , wired according to Crutchfield's diagram , coils in series, and drivers in parallel, to present a final 4 ohm load. I connected a Speakon 4 pole connector to the bare wires coming out with the pos. to +1, and the neg to +2, for bridged, and connected it to the Behringer 3000 dsp, channel A. This is a brand new amp, and the only setting I changed was to set it to 'bridge' mode. It's connected to an Onkyo 818, via one of the sub outs, using a 1/4 inch TRS adapter at the end of an RCA cable.

This was running my HSU Vtf3 mk3 just fine. I have another connected to the other sub out, and it is functioning normally, as well. All I did was unplug it, connect the adapter, and plug it into input A on the back of the Berry.

When I turned the system on... nothing. or so I thought. I double checked everything, and turned the channel A gain know all the way up... still nothing. So I turned the other sub off, and turned my 5 satellites off, via the amp they're connected to, turned the sub trim in my AVR all the way up to +12, and turned the master volume up to 0. Now I could hear a very faint sound coming from the sonosub, and could verify that both drivers were moving, although very slightly. Everything else was off.

My son had an idea to check if my wiring inside the sub was botched somehow. We made another Speakon cable, also bridged, and pulled out another SI 18 ( I have another tube to fill, but one at a time) and I wired it up to present an 8 ohm load (pos wire( +1 at the speakon) to one pos coil terminal, that coil's neg to the other coil's pos, then that neg to the negative(+2 at the speakon), and connected it to the Berry..... exact same result... no sound until turning the sub trim all the way up, and the master volume to 0, and then very faint sound.

I tried turning up the gain in the software (son had a USB extension) and it got a little louder, but still nothing like it should be at that level. Also, no clip lights anywhere. The software did show an input signal, and an output signal, but max 2 bars for the input and 3 for the output.

Also, I tried all of this with 2 different Behringer's and 2 different 1/4 inch TRS adapters, with no change in results.

This is my first attempt at DIY... if it wasn't obvious.

Joseph

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just took apart the speakon, and yanked like hell on each wire, and they're in there tight... Beast used some thick wire on these, and I trimmed them down to be just enough to fit. they're definitely in the 2 centermost holes, screwed down very tight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wonder if the Onky is not providing enough voltage out of the RCA output to work with a pro amp like the Berry. If that's the case you might need a bump box.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude  /t/1525050/need-some-help-re-onkyo-behringer-si-18s#post_24549093

I just took apart the speakon, and yanked like hell on each wire, and they're in there tight... Beast used some thick wire on these, and I trimmed them down to be just enough to fit. they're definitely in the 2 centermost holes, screwed down very tight.

If both ends are like that then I don't know.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bare wires coming out of the sub (all kinds of glued in around the sonotube
) , upon which I attached a speakon, plugged directly into the amp.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so I just took apart the Speakon, and moved the neg from 2+ to the 1- , effectively 'un-wiring- it from bridged mode, and changed the Berry to 'stereo' mode... hooked up to 'output A' and same result... tried 'output B' and nothing at all... so I know I've got it hooked up to the 1+ and 1- so no doubt I know where all the 1's, 2's, +- 's are.... I think I've eliminated it being a wiring issue from the amp to the sub , as well as ... the wiring inside the sub... I really was careful before bolting down the drivers.

So is it safe to assume that the problem is either in the amp(s), or the connections to the amp(s), because the AVR works fine while hooked up to both HSU's ?

Is there a huge loss of signal using a 1/4 TRS ( from RCA) adapter ? I've tried two... should I try an RCA to XLR cable? From all I've read, it shouldn't cause this problem, but I'm willing to try... otherwise, I'm thinking it's the amps? What are the odds I'd get 2 bad amps? Both brand new. No mods or funky settings...

this is making my HSU's look really good, and 2 18's with 2200 watts should just crush them, right? That's why I went this route, but... about ready to throw in the towel... but this just shouldn't be... OMFG !!! Is it the Onkyo? Is it the input connections? Is it my own friggin' stupidity?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
As mentioned before the avr will work fine with hsu cut their powered. Hooking up pro amp could be a voltage issue with receiver.

Hang in their . I owned a hsu vtf15 before my Martycube. The cube crushes the hsu. You need to find someone who has Onkyo avr and used pro amps.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1525050/need-some-help-re-onkyo-behringer-si-18s/0_100#post_24550019

The cube crushes the hsu. .

that's why I'm doing it. I really, really like my HSU's. But I want to know what 'crushing' them is like... that's why I've dropped $1400 in drivers and amps, 3 hours driving time, the last 3 weeks of free time reading, and every free moment in between trying everything I can think of to make it work... It isn't without 'due diligence' I've gone this far. And it's probably something simple and stupid, but I've seen many people here, at HTS, and other sites that report the Behringer having a very low input voltage requirement, and that Onkyo's don't gererally have any problem driving them... so that's why I'm frustrated...

damn I picked the wrong century to quit smoking pot....where's 1996 when you need it?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude  /t/1525050/need-some-help-re-onkyo-behringer-si-18s#post_24550048

that's why I'm doing it. I really, really like my HSU's. But I want to know what 'crushing' them is like... that's why I've dropped $1400 in drivers and amps, 3 hours driving time, the last 3 weeks of free time reading, and every free moment in between trying everything I can think of to make it work... It isn't without 'due diligence' I've gone this far. And it's probably something simple and stupid, but I've seen many people here, at HTS, and other sites that report the Behringer having a very low input voltage requirement, and that Onkyo's don't gererally have any problem driving them... so that's why I'm frustrated...

damn I picked the wrong century to quit smoking pot....where's 1996 when you need it?

start another thread titled can onkyo run pro amps without voltage step up.

I don't know how to measure it or how to fix it. I just know some people have had a similar issue and the 50 buck voltage box fixed it.

Pm ltd02 as well. he's the resident dojo master

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ty for your help, Chaluga... My initial thought was a couple martysubs... when I caught a whiff of Beast's sonotubes being put out to pasture... so I jumped. Not my original plan, but having completed enclosures seemed like a saving in time, $, and effort... just hasn't worked out that way...but I do think this is just a 'growing pain'. I've long thought that we never grow until we're pushed outside the boundaries of which were comfortable, and that is where I find myself now. Thanks again.

Joseph

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

It obvious your frustrated.  Just know, we've all been there, but there is a fix, and now we just gotta find it.  

One thing i would do is try a different amp, just for troubleshooting / diagnosing.  Do you have any friends in the area who wouldn't mind letting you borrow their amp for an afternoon?  maybe an older amp with normal speaker jacks, so we can eliminate the whole "is the speakon connection wired right?"

It sounds like your avr is setup right.  I also use the same 1/4 trs adapters to rca, and dont think those are the problem since you tried more than 1.  

At this point, i would guess its a setting somewhere in your chain that is being overlooked / set improperly.  

On the bright side....once this does get figured out....i think your going to be VERY happy.  I have a marty cube and a full size marty, and soon ill be adding another cube.  Bottom line....they sound great, deep, and clean.  I think your sonosubs will perform similarly ( and mentioned becuase i have owned well made sono's too ) 

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it was the TRS adapter. Picked up an RCA --> XLR adapter today, and everything works like it should. Now to read up on optimal set-up, particularly gain matching CE equipment with pro amps. Thanks to all who helped.

and yes, it crushes the HSU.

Joseph

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude  /t/1525050/need-some-help-re-onkyo-behringer-si-18s#post_24552316

it was the TRS adapter. Picked up an RCA --> XLR adapter today, and everything works like it should. Now to read up on optimal set-up, particularly gain matching CE equipment with pro amps. Thanks to all who helped.

Joseph

That's good news. What brand didn't work ? Always good to crush hsu

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude  /t/1525050/need-some-help-re-onkyo-behringer-si-18s/0_100#post_24552316

Joseph
Joe,

Glad you found out what the issue was!  problem solving these kinds of things can require serious amounts of time, sometimes.

Now go enjoy your HSU crushing capability: )

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1525050/need-some-help-re-onkyo-behringer-si-18s/0_100#post_24553152

. What brand didn't work ? :

Radio Shack.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude  /t/1525050/need-some-help-re-onkyo-behringer-si-18s/0_100#post_24554190

Radio Shack.

Back in college (for electronics), we all referred to Radio Shack as "$hit Shack", this included the professors; and for good reason too! Stupid $hit Shack!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts