AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Lava subforum but got no replies, so I thought I'd try here.

I'm looking for advice on what you would do in my particular situation. I've got 3 subs that need to go into the following 2 rooms:

*large home theater room downstairs

*small music room upstairs

The subs are:

*Lava-10

*Klipsch RSW-10d (apparently one of the better(?) Klipsch subs)

*SVS SB12-NSD (good sealed sub)

Assuming that I'll want 2 subs in the HT room and the other sub will go in the music room, which subs should go where? The Klipsch and Lava are 10" subs-should I keep together or does that matter? I just bought the SVS for the music room but wasn't aware that there's more to it than just adding any 2nd sub and expecting great results.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Well the reason is because probably nobody has that combination, and sub response is extremely room and placement dependent. I will tell you what I can. It is going to take a lot of experimentation and work to get the best results. The size of the cone doesn't matter as much as which ones play together best (most equal in output and frequency response I would think). Also it may be more difficult to get a ported sub (more output at tuned frequency but will drop off quick below) with a sealed sub (not as much output at the tuning frequency of a ported sub, but will drop off into lower frequencies more gradually) to play along nicely. You are going to want to gain match vs. level match so one sub isn't being limited (still has headroom)by the other (bottoming out and crying for help). You may have to do all of this in the theater room multiple times with different sets of subs to find out which two are best and the best place for each one. Unless you have measurement equipment, you are going to do the sub crawl to find best place for one, and do it again with another sub to find a good place for the second sub, if you want smoothest bass response. Now this may have to be repeated several times to find best placement in your room for each sub and when they are playing together. If you are looking for most dbs then they should be stacked together. How big is your theater? None of these are output kings.

Let's say you have one sub. Produces 100db

Stack another identical sub on top/beside= about 6db gain ~106db

spread those two subs out= about 3db gain ~103db

but will not have as many nulls or peaks in room since in different places help smooth the room out.

So you see a sub that does 110db will not be outdone by two subs that on own do 100db.

There are several threads on here on how to integrate two subs and several sites on the net, you should check them out. For best results there is no plug and play, and when you add more variables to the equation it gets that much more difficult.

For the large home theater I think you are going to want the two with greatest output and deepest extension. Have you played around with them at all yet, trying to gain match, and seeing which ones seem best suited and play well together? If your room is real big you should try a nearfield placement as well.

Wow, I got carried away. Someone please chime in if I am off somewhere.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I'd put the Klipsch and the Lava together, not because they are both 10", but because one is ported and the other is a passive radiator, which tends to behave like ported.

I'm thinking the SB12 will be excellent for music in the small room.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realize it's an odd combination of subs, but in terms of A/V my whole house is one giant Frankensystem. The HT room is roughly 12W x 20D x 8H and I was planning to do a sub crawl once I figured out which two would be in the HT room. Hopefully the "mid-side wall/facing each other" configuration will work as stacking or putting them in opposite corners diagonally won't really work aesthetically or logistically. Tonight I'll experiment with various sub placement locations. Again--thanks for the excellent info.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/19590350

I'd put the Klipsch and the Lava together, not because they are both 10", but because one is ported and the other is a passive radiator, which tends to behave like ported.

I'm thinking the SB12 will be excellent for music in the small room.

+1. Optimize your critical listening needs and do the best you can with the other two in the HT setup.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with Mike's recommendation and chose the Klipsch and Lava for the theater room (and SVS for the music room). Luke-thanks for the example of decibel difference when adding a second sub. I remember studying this concept in a "Physics Of Music" class I took in college but had forgotten about it. After connecting the subs my first impression is that the sound is way too boomy, so I will continue to experiment with placement, AVR & sub settings, etc. Thanks for the good info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.