AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new 12" Klipsch subwoofer today the 12d..the one that was on newegg for $350.

anyways went and ran onkyo audyssey..I have the sr806

I have a focal setup 5.1......focals sound great but the bass is missing (barely there)....here are the specs and levels after running aud.

Sub YES (of course)

Front = Full band

Center = 100hz

surround = 60hz

LPF to LFE = 80hz (thx)

Double Bass = ON

THX sub = ON

Also noticed the level calibration for the subwoofer is -9.5db...not sure why it put it at that.

I have the sub hooked up with the subwoofer out via 1 subwoofer cable and hooked into the R going into the sub.

Should I change some settings? Please let me know thanks

·
Registered
30,636 Posts
I don't know what source or criteria you are using but you might try setting the unidentified fronts to small with a reasonable crossover. That might send more bass to the sub.

As for the level setting, -9.5 is probably correct since Klipschs tend to be high sensitivity and the sub might be in a fortuitous acoustical position. Without detailed room/system description and/or independent measurements, that's about all there is.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Is the volume knob on the sub high enough? It could be as simple as that. Also, try putting the sub cable into the L (white) on the sub. And is the sub in a position where the mic can pick it up audibly instead of just the vibrations?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the new klipsch sub that has the digital input on top....so only thing on the back is the RL in and then the 4 speaker wire connections and power thats all...I will go down and mess with it..

my room is approx 12x20 and I have the sub in the front right corner of room....and then the focal bookshelves on a ledge about 4 feet off the ground.

·
Registered
30,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic /forum/post/20855347

Is the volume knob on the sub high enough? It could be as simple as that.

Won't help.

Quote:
Also, try putting the sub cable into the L (white) on the sub.

Why would that make any difference?

Quote:
And is the sub in a position where the mic can pick it up audibly instead of just the vibrations?

If Audyssey had only picked up "just the vibrations" (whatever that means), it would have set the level higher, not lower.

·
Registered
28,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibasnatch /forum/post/20855206

Just got my new 12" Klipsch subwoofer today the 12d..the one that was on newegg for $350.

anyways went and ran onkyo audyssey..I have the sr806

I have a focal setup 5.1......focals sound great but the bass is missing (barely there)....here are the specs and levels after running aud.

Sub YES (of course)

Front = Full band

Center = 100hz

surround = 60hz

LPF to LFE = 80hz (thx)

Double Bass = ON

THX sub = ON

Also noticed the level calibration for the subwoofer is -9.5db...not sure why it put it at that.

I have the sub hooked up with the subwoofer out via 1 subwoofer cable and hooked into the R going into the sub.

Should I change some settings? Please let me know thanks

Turn DOWN the volume on your sub and recalibrate and the number will get closer to zero instead of -9.5.

Do not set your front speakers to full band and set the crossover to 80hz.

I'm not sure if the left or right input on the sub matters. Usually the left is for a mono signal but there is no designation on that sub. You could also get a Y connector if you wish.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Y connector but didnt use it cause I read your supposed to just do the R.....I turned down my full range to 80 hz..and put the other at 80hz as well except the sub I put it at 100hz.

On the sub the LFE was set to 120hz.....is that where I want it to be or do I want to turn if OFF because the receiver is doing the work.?

thanks

·
Registered
30,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibasnatch /forum/post/20855531

On the sub the LFE was set to 120hz.....is that where I want it to be or do I want to turn if OFF because the receiver is doing the work.?

thanks

Off.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Many folks find the Audyssey sub level to be too low, myself included. Feel free to tweak the sub level in your AVR upwards until you are happy with the output!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/20855404

Won't help.

Why would that make any difference?

If Audyssey had only picked up "just the vibrations" (whatever that means), it would have set the level higher, not lower.

Go figure.... Trying anything different than what he is doing has the possibility of working. Sorry that I'm suggesting things that have worked for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree on setting the fronts as small and the crossover at 80hz, in full band the receiver sends most of the low frecuencies to the speakers and not to the sub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts