AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just after some advice regarding correct setting of contrast and brightness to get optimum black level, but high brightness in the picture.

I've setup the contrast and brightness with DVE as per the instructions and the test patterns they provide. To me, the background still looks greyish and lacks that 'off' black CRT look. To get the look im after, i just turned the brightness down a bit more, about 20 notches and the black level is perfect. In cut scenes, the room is pitch black. However the picture itself is now a little more dim the optimal. Still watchable and provides a great picture, but i'm after a way to lay off the low end brightness a bit to get good black level but still get good midrange and upper level brightness.

Any calibration tips would be helpful!

Setup is as follows.

Onkyo DVSP501 YPbPr -> Onkyo Reciever YPbPr out -> DVDO IScan VP20 HDMI Out -> Moome IFB-HD w/ gamma -> Sony 1272QM

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I had that problem for years. The solution is a non-linear gamma curve either through a box like tse's/moome or if using a PC with ffdshow.

Basically it lets you set black to actually be pitch black but it bumps up the stuff above black so it's not overly dark.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S /forum/post/12904068

I had that problem for years. The solution is a non-linear gamma curve either through a box like tse's/moome or if using a PC with ffdshow.

Basically it lets you set black to actually be pitch black but it bumps up the stuff above black so it's not overly dark.

I agree totally. A device to introduce gamma adjustment is a must for most CRT projectors. The Crescendo Systems RTC2200 transcoder with gamma was probably the single biggest improvement to my system. It would probably be even more of an improvement for me if I had the skills to properly set my grayscale and other settings prior to making those gamma adjustments. Even doing it by eye the improvement is great in my opinion.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So with what I have, equipment wise (VP20 and Moomes gamma IFB), whats the process of setting? Just by eye? Or do you normally use a gray ramp to set it the way you want it?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Make sure you have your vp set to Video not PC, I had it set to PC on my lumagen and it bumps up black level to 7.5 ire.Once i set it to Video WOW man Oh MAN back in black is all I can say! Also see if the onkyo has a black level setting as well. then make sure you have your moomes gamma all the way off set your colors again with dve then use the gamma control to bump up the gamma a bit for the lower but not black ires.

Athanasios

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, i'll have a look at all that and see what i come up with. From memory, the vp was set to Video..i noticed it looked terrible on PC when i was muckn around with it! Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts