AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All

I run a P4 HTPC right now but due to space requirements need to move to a smaller case. Therefore I decided a good time to upgrade. Here is what I am thinking and would like your comments. I will use for media center (playback of movie not record), music, email, few PC apps and games like COD4:

Shuttle SX38 barebones

P4 Wolfdale 3Ghz

2GB 800 RAM

Can't decide between HD3870 or new 8800 GTS (G92(

Thoughts ? Want to purchase by end of day

I am running this out to a 60" TV via DVI to HDMI so will be looking to run at 1920x1080 where possible

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has the motherboard included. Based on the X38 Chipset. Here are the power details also included:

POWER 450W

Input:100 - 240V AC

Support 80 PLUS

DIMENSIONS:85(W) x 83(H) x150(D) mm

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm not sure what your budget is but I have to say give up on the barebone and build from scratch. Pick up the case you want then take a look at these parts:
Gigabyte Motherboard

A decent Core2Duo (something as little as a E4500 or as great as an E8400 or maybe quad Q6600)

8800GT G92 (or 8800GTS G92 if your budget allows)

Corsair 550VX Power supply (one of the best you can buy)

2GB Ram (you can find a set pretty cheap these days, I've seen them at $25 on slickdeals a while ago) (G.skill, Corsair, Kingston, etc)

250-500GB HDD (Western Digital, Seagate)

Optical drive (lite-on, samsung, LG)

Sorry my list isn't exact I'm off to bed...

·
Registered
46 Posts
You should go with the GTS (G92) video card. The Shuttle has limited cooling due to size, a GT does not exhaust hot air to the outside, the GTS does and is considerably quieter. The GTS is a dual slot card be sure you have the xtra space for it. It is also faster naturally. You can build a much better system using an Antec 430 case and better components for not much if any more $. The Shuttle is limited by its power supply. The Shuttle is just too cramped and limited and is not really that small as it is much taller than typical A/V components.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts