AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well i will try and make this as short and sweet as possible.

I have Energy Rc-50 towers, LCR center, and RC-R rear surrounds, with a CA 540r.

I have a few issues with my set-up, that i feel are really taking away from what it SHOULD be.

1. My rear surrounds i have mounted to the wall directly behind the sitting area, about 18-24". The issue is i feel like is that i can barely hear the rears. I am wondering if there is a better way to mount these. I can provide pics if need be.

2. I think i need more power. I gotta say my system sounds "OK" but just lacks a "wow" factor, that i would think should be present. It is almost like there is no punch(obviously i turning up the volume makes it loud) but just feel like even at normal listening levels, it lacks that crispness..(hard to explain)

I mean, i feel like it sounds less impressive then my fathers bose "box" setup, and some other much cheaper set-ups i have heard. Any ideas here?

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtitan123 /forum/post/16938572

I have Energy Rc-50 towers, LCR center, and RC-R rear surrounds, with a CA 540r.

I have a few issues with my set-up, that i feel are really taking away from what it SHOULD be.

1. My rear surrounds i have mounted to the wall directly behind the sitting area, about 18-24". The issue is i feel like is that i can barely hear the rears. I am wondering if there is a better way to mount these. I can provide pics if need be.

2. I think i need more power. I gotta say my system sounds "OK" but just lacks a "wow" factor, that i would think should be present. It is almost like there is no punch(obviously i turning up the volume makes it loud) but just feel like even at normal listening levels, it lacks that crispness..(hard to explain)

I mean, i feel like it sounds less impressive then my fathers bose "box" setup, and some other much cheaper set-ups i have heard. Any ideas here?

Many factors need to be considered and known before sound quality questions can be answered. I'll start this process by asking questions in regard to the nature of the room involved. What are the dimensions of this particular room, including ceilings? Is it a contained room or is there one or more walls that open up to another room or space in the home? How is this space furnished,?

How have you calibrated your speakers? Are all set as LARGE due to the capabilities of your Towers; yet the Center and Surrounds may not be able to reproduce mid to low bass with enough volume (esp. without a crossover to a Subwoofer to handle low bass and LFE).

So, in sum, my first thoughts to your are:

1)Do you have a subwoofer....This definitely adds impact to the surround system, integrating the bass below the crossover from all the speakers designated as SMALL.

2)Have you calibrated your CA 540r with test tones and an SPL meter for all speakers in your room? This is a variable that should be easily remedied for the issues you have raised. Remember, sound from your surround speakers may be very quiet depending on the surround sound source you are playing. If your AVR has a 6 channel stereo mode, try that with a CD (after calibration) to get a sense of your rear channel reproduction volume.

3)Is your room very large or are you listening from quite a distance from the front soundstage? Is the room slightly dead or anechoiec due to massive drapes, rugs, furnture, wall treatments causing broad freqency range absorption?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago /forum/post/16939529

Many factors need to be considered and known before sound quality questions can be answered. I'll start this process by asking questions in regard to the nature of the room involved. What are the dimensions of this particular room, including ceilings? Is it a contained room or is there one or more walls that open up to another room or space in the home? How is this space furnished,?

How have you calibrated your speakers? Are all set as LARGE due to the capabilities of your Towers; yet the Center and Surrounds may not be able to reproduce mid to low bass with enough volume (esp. without a crossover to a Subwoofer to handle low bass and LFE).

So, in sum, my first thoughts to your are:

1)Do you have a subwoofer....This definitely adds impact to the surround system, integrating the bass below the crossover from all the speakers designated as SMALL.

2)Have you calibrated your CA 540r with test tones and an SPL meter for all speakers in your room? This is a variable that should be easily remedied for the issues you have raised. Remember, sound from your surround speakers may be very quiet depending on the surround sound source you are playing. If your AVR has a 6 channel stereo mode, try that with a CD (after calibration) to get a sense of your rear channel reproduction volume.

3)Is your room very large or are you listening from quite a distance from the front soundstage? Is the room slightly dead or anechoiec due to massive drapes, rugs, furnture, wall treatments causing broad freqency range absorption?

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions.

1) Yes i do. And yes.

2)Yes i did this when i first set it up.

3) The room it self is very large but only because there is no fourth wall on the "side"

Here are some pics of when i first moved in.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
You probably aren't hearing the surrounds because they are really high on the back wall, which is right up against the seating area.

More power isn't going to fix this handicap.

Indeed, a cheaper system in an ideal placement should sound better!

Looks like you went to a lot of trouble mounting those surrounds. Can they be moved? There are some options is you have flexibility.

In any event, I would work on tweaking the location of your towers. How far apart are they and how far away is direct seating area? Also, those towers are rear-ported, and you've got them very close to the front wall. The left one is really close to the corner it appears, too. Is that the sub in that corner?

The bottom line is, you got some excellent speakers! You can't just set 'em down and expect awesome sound, however. That room is far from impossible. I would turn off any room correction/EQ your AVR may have, and start tweaking the towers. Or, post your measurements and we can try and help. Only until you get the right location should you use the room EQ. What AVR are you using?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me take measurements of EVERYTHING, and make a diagram in photoshop.

Thanks for your help, i need all the help i can get..lol

I can definetly move the rear surrounds, and also have a new set of macro mounts if need be. Could they be mounted on the ceiling, coming straight down?

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtitan123 /forum/post/16942838

I can definetly move the rear surrounds, and also have a new set of macro mounts if need be. Could they be mounted on the ceiling, coming straight down?

Sure, though it will definitely sound like the sound is coming from above.

Does someone normally sit in the corner of your sectional?

Mounted lower on that one sidewall and then a stand on the other side would seem to be an obvious solution.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae /forum/post/16943126

Mounted lower on that one sidewall and then a stand on the other side would seem to be an obvious solution.

Not really, unless i have a bunch of people over watching some fights or something.

For movies, it is usually just my wife and i sitting in the seats directly facing the TV.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:

This has been covered here many times. First, I believe the surrounds will work fine right where they are. They don't need to be pointed directly at the listening area like the front three are. They work good when they are pointed at the "null", to avoid localization. What does your manual say about placement of the surrounds? You are not going to hear much out of the surrounds until the scene in the movie calls for surround channel information. Find a movie that has good surround action..............a good airplane "flyover" is good...early scene in "Slum dog Millionaire" is perfect for checking this out. I listen to a lot of music concerts in Dolby and DTS 5.1, and most of the time the info coming from the surrounds is more ambient noise from the audience, or sounds from the auditorium itself. Also, can you choose different processing modes on your receiver, so that you can check out the surround channels performance? For example, When listening to two channel, if you have a mode that is called something like "5 channel stereo", or "Party", this will play the same information out of all speakers vs. the 5.1 track. More importantly is having a disc on hand that has good surround action and properly setting the levels and delays. As for the lack of punch, look up "do the crawl test". You might need to move the sub to a better place. Are your spkrs set to small or large? One more quick comment. My current setup has my front three speakers on the long wall like your system. In my room I have always experienced better sound (more punch) by placing the front three speakers on the short wall. Anyway, I would leave the surrounds alone and pull the towers forward one foot, as a starting point. BTW, nice pool table

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae /forum/post/16943126

A speaker just inches away from the listeners ears would not be very convincing.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/16947007

A speaker just inches away from the listeners ears would not be very convincing.

Obviously, which is why I asked if someone normally sits there.

This is what happens when seats are up against walls.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:

"less impressive then my fathers Bose "box" setup".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts