AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a unique situation I need help with. I have a trailer that I use for a mobile motel room when working out of town. I need some type of video entertainment to keep me occupied at night. I was going to use a flat screen tv in it, but my wife bought me a Smart Beam Laser Projector, and rather than hurt her feelings, I want to figure out the best screen material to use. It can be actual material or a painted surface. the screen is going to be 50" to 60" max diagonal. Based on info I got from the mfgr, 50" is the sweet spot for this little guy. Here is the info on the projector. Any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW - the mfg says the screen should not be matte, but slightly reflective. It will be mainly used for OTA TV via a HD TV Tuner Box.
http://www.uobeam.com/
Dimensions 2.2"x 2.2"x 2.2"
Laser Diode Life 10,000 Hours
Brightness 100 Lumens Max
Resolution WXGA 1280 x 720
Throw Ratio 1 : 1.428
Speaker 1 Watt Mono Speaker
Battery Capacity 3.7V 4200 mAh
HDMI Input Micro HDMI
Laser Class Class 1
Battery Life 120 minutes
Aspect Ratio 16 : 9
Throw Distance 2 ft. ~ 15 ft.
Screen Size 20 inch ~ 150 inch
Contrast Ratio 1000 : 1
Battery Life Approximately 120 minutes w/4 hours full charge
Battery Type Rechargeable Lithium Polymer
Optical Engine Type LCoS (Liquid Crystal On Silicon)
Wireless Display Android / iOS Mirroring

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I found some laser projectors look sparkly (you can see some laser speckle) when they're used on slightly shiny surfaces but they still look great on flat/matte light-grey or white, so I'd lean toward a non-shiny white surface or paint unless you find it plenty bright enough to use with a non-shiny light-grey instead. Keeping lights off the screen area well also help a lot, obviously.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found some laser projectors look sparkly (you can see some laser speckle) when they're used on slightly shiny surfaces but they still look great on flat/matte light-grey or white, so I'd lean toward a non-shiny white surface or paint unless you find it plenty bright enough to use with a non-shiny light-grey instead. Keeping lights off the screen area well also help a lot, obviously.
Thanks FT - I found an old piece of matte white laminate in my shop. I'm going to make a 50" screen from it and see how it works. If i don't like it, I have a paintable surface ready to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts