Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As you can see, I'm new to these boards..

My situation: My Father has decided to purchase a new TV in addition to new renovations on our house. He's decided that the $20,000 range (For a TV) is probably the max..

He recently said that he's really considering a 50 inch Plasma.

I'm somewhat confused.. Plasma offers around 420p (I'm probably WAyyy off), will the picture be comparable to high resolution HDTV's??? (Light isn''t a problem)..

Looking for a 50 inch.. High resolution set, for around $20k or lower..

Can someone please give me advice?? :confused:

·
Registered
731 Posts
The Panasonic TH-50PWD3U has received some good reviews and sells for about 1/2 the stated budget. I beleive Pioneer makes a 50" for about the same $$

Here is a link for price comaprisons:
http://www.plasmatvshopper.com/

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sorry, I was out of town for a few days.
Quote:
Is plasma the best way to go??
It is really up to you. The cool factor is there, but for the same money I would likely get a projector. The new Sony VPL-VW11HT will give you a larger picture....and probably a better picture - but you will have to be able to control the light in the room. Too much ambient light will wash out the brightness/contrast. It is not so bad with LCD projectors, but it is a problem. Pioneer make a very nice RPTV, I believe the Elite Pro-710. I think it is a 65" HD monitor, meaning you will need a seperate HD tuner. If space is not an issue I think you can do better than a plasma for the same money. Choices....choices....Good luck

·
Registered
24,939 Posts
EndoMan,

Honestly take a look at the Mit diamond series if you want a RPTV . I've seen several plasmas and the only thing I see they have is the fact that they are flat. Side by side with a good RPTV there is no contest IMHO. I would say that if plasmas had a picture of equal quality and they were flat to boot great but that isn't the case ,at least not yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.