AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is my current HT. As you can see it is an open design with a pool table section to one side and a bar in the rear of the room. I would like to dress up the end by the screen but I need some ideas from you guys. I was thinking about building a little stage and then building two wood pillars to house the floor speakers with a wood cabinet across the bottom for the center and components (see last photo). Right now it is just kind of plain. The soffit makes it harder to make whatever I build up front look symmetrical because the ceiling changes height. Any ideas would be very helpful.

bar

The idea I discussed above

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Paint the screenwall and the ceiling black. It will take command of the space.

I think a built up structure will become limiting in the future, like if you decide to go for a scope screen.

Me personally, I am not feeling the angled pictures. I would more tightly group the pics, then bring in traditional movie poster frames. There is a website on here that has good prices (frameusa?) that you could find in a search.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree about the color, a deep green or red might look nice in there. Also, please for my sanity, hang your picture frames evenly. The thought of all those frames askew will keep me up at night for weeks (I'm a little obsessive-compulsive about things like that).

·
Registered
561 Posts
Could you extend the soffit across the wall above the screen?

That might help frame the build.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
the screen looks a bit high as well. perhaps drop the screen a little bit, then build a soffit of some sort above the screen?

with darker paint, and a soffit above the screen, the uneven ceiling height would not be noticed as much......

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with the poster about color...change the wall color and make the ceiling darker..do the screen wall and trim around your screen..

·
Registered
862 Posts
Did you recently have an earthquake, or did you pay Stevie Wonder to hang the picture? Seriously, straighten up the pictures before you embark on anything big. And if you do build something, get a nice level so it ends up straighter than the picture frames.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha, its funny because everyone who comes over comments on the crooked pictures usually in a negative way. Some quick background on my wife- she thinks crooked pictures look cool, I think it makes it look like an Applebee's restaurant or something. She also always says "dark paint makes the room look to small" and I always say to her, "maybe, but the reality is the room isn't smaller. I'm not suddenly bumping into walls because of the color of the paint!"

But since this is more my space I think I can persuade her to let me do both. Should I paint the whole 1200sq ft basement the dark color or just the area around the theater?

The sofit running across the front is something I kicked around also of I was going to make the built in pillars. I know a build up on that front wall might limit my future upgrades a bit, but I think it would look a lot more professional. I could also dissassemble the unit some day if I needed to.

You can't see them in the picture but I have several really nice autographed movie posters in backlit frames around the pool table that I could move into the theater portion of the room. They are already level by the way.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also some quick dimensions. From the screen to the back of the bar is 50ft-I know not ideal for acoustics in any way. The front is 13' 6" with 7' 6" up to the soffit and 8'8 up to the ceiling. There is also a 12' by 20' nook to the side for the pool table. That window up front on the right is 22" out from the screen wall.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Overall I think you have a pretty nice room. The bar area looks nicer than the screen wall. The problems I see involve the uneven ceiling, crooked pictures, color, clutter and wiring.

Continue the soffit across the front to even out the ceiling. Paint the screen wall all flat black. Move the component rack to the back of the room or in a closet. Eliminate a few pictures and straighten out the rest. Get rid of any uncecessary clutter.

Choose a nice color combination for the walls and trim. Add some decorative pillows to the couch.

The only recommendation I have for the bar is to add some nice bottles of single malt scotch.

Good luck with whatever you do.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update.

My wife listened and we straightened all of the pictures!! Here are a couple of updated photos. The dark paint made a big difference. I also replaced the BOC screen with a 120" Wilsonart laminate screen. I still need to figure out where to place my side surround speakers and probably replace my rear surrounds with something I can put on the ceiling. It is still a work in progress, but its getting there.

As you can see, no where to put side surrounds, unless I put them on the beam above pool table maybe?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow -- that looks really, really nice! What paint is that?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Already looks 100 times better.
Amazing what a little paint will do . Don,t stop now keep going and that place will look incredible. Now you know listen to the avs crew and not your wife
lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
ya I like it!

I need to paint mine and I was thinking of a similar color.

What kind/color is the paint?

Oh ya and how much better is the new screen material vs what you had?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow. A great improvement. Great look & color. We need the paint colors. It looks great with the black of the speakers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts