AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am trying to find a TV for my bedroom but it will also be hooked up to my xbox360 and to an HD TV receiver from UVerse(not installed yet)

This is my first time buying a flat screen TV so I am trying to educate myself before I make the purchase. Right now I have a 37" CRT that is about 4 feet deep.

So far for my budget I have found this 3 but from what I have read the Plasma Samsung does not play nice with gaming.

These are the 3 that I have found for my budget (anything under $600):

Panasonic - VIERA 42" Class / 720p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV
Model: TC-P42C2 | Price: $549.99

Samsung - 42" Class / 720p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV
Model: PN42C450B1D | Price: $499.99

Samsung - 40" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV
Model: LN40C500 | Price: $579.99

Viewing distance is going to be around 7-8 feet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Samsung's c450 Plasma is the best overall low price TV this year. After owning several expensive sets from several brands and constantly picking them apart and dealing with massive defects (Panasonic rising blacks, won't buy anything from them until they fix it) I went cheap, a 50c450 and I haven't picked it apart and have been pretty much content with the quality of the TV. Of course I want to go bigger, but I learned a valuable lesson, spend less and you won't nitpick it as much.

With the 42c450 you will get decent blacks, great motion, decent IR resistance, low lag in game mode, and ok lag outside of game mode.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts
If this is your first HDTV, and you weren't an AV enthusiast before, don't worry about the picture quality issue, as any of the recent tv's you pick up will look phenomenal to you compared to anything you had before (unless you were rocking a good quality Sony or something before). As a gamer, your primary interest will be in Blur and Input lag. For that I would go plasma, as it has very low input lag (compared to LCD) and essentially non-existent blur. Just be careful with games that have static HUD's and whatnot as that could damage a plasma screen after an extended (very extended) period of time. If you do regular marathon gaming session (I used to, but with kids now, not so much) you might want to look into a good gaming LCD.

Check the following link for a thread where Input Lag is discussed in detail to find a set that has acceptable lag times for you:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the input guys. I went to the store and checked some plasma and some LCD TVs and had a couple of more questions.

First the most gaming I would do would be 3-4 hours straight and not THAT often.

I will be watching a lot more movies/tv on this TV than gaming. Also I have read that Plasma TVs get pretty hot, this is going on a small room that is already getting heatblasted by 2 desktop computers with 24" monitors, so I am a bit worried that the plasma is going to turn our room into a furnace.

I also found another TV a bit over my budget but I might be able to pull it off.

Samsung - 40" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV
Model: LN40C630K1F | Price: $699

It has a bit better refresh rate than the other LCD above.

Another thing about it is that I received a blue ray player 4 months ago for my birthday that's still in the box due to the fact that I have no decent TV to plug it into, with this in mind would the 720p - 1080p difference at 7' still not make a difference?

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts