AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been 'surfing' the AVS forum (as well as other places) for thoughts/ideas on 2 pair of in ceiling speakers to be used primarily for music in my house. Since I have not found a solution to my problem after hours of searching, I thought I’d post my ‘opportunity’ in the hopes that someone could help me out (or at least give me some ‘stay away from that idea’ guidance)

A Bit of background

The wife factor required I remove a 5.x Paradigm solution prior to the start of a living room remodel project. (I have it installed in my home office so all is not lost
) Compromise to no sound was some in ceiling speakers for music only.

Gear to put in place

New Pioneer 1122 receiver (wanted HDMI ARC and Airplay capability for a decent price)

LR Wall mounted (on brick) Sammy LED TV

Sammy Blue Ray Player

FIOS HD DVR

Here are my needs

Will be 'sending’ sound to three locations

Location 1 - Living room - Cathedral Ceiling, 14x20

Location 2 - Kitchen 8' flat ceiling, 15x15

Location 3 - Patio (already have Paradigm's installed and working)

Thinking I will use some sort of zone 2 line level switch for the Kitchen and Patio (Aton DLA2 or similar). Will run some analog connections from the Cable Box and DVD to the receiver so I can get around the HDMI to Zone 2 issue.

Challenges

I am the only one in the house that cares about HT or for that matter quality sound and I don’t have the option to install 5.x or 7.x. The best I can hope for is good 2.0 'everywhere', so the speakers I am looking for should be thought of as for music only since no ‘real’ HT sound will be used. Also lots of wife factor here – need to be as inconspicuous as possible – hint need thin bezel. Target price is 300 a pair (or less). Max is 400 a pair.

New ceiling (with new batt insulation) going in to the living room so the time is right to pull wire and install some new in ceiling speakers. Given the slope of the ceiling I was thinking that some sort of aimable unit may make sense (HTD R65AIM or Speakercraft AIM7 Two for example). Can’t go over 8’ – would prefer 6 or 7 if I can. This room is ‘hard’ so the ability to attenuate the bass/treble at the speaker seems like it should be important too but of course the tone adj of the receiver should be able to do this too if needed. I have looked (on the web) at Polk, Monoprice, DT (via Baja on ebay), Yamaha NS-IC600 and as time goes on all I do is get more confused.

So far I have listened to 6 pairs of speakers. From top to bottom 2 models of B&W (663 and 664) both sounded very good but are out of budget range. 2 Model s of Speakercraft (CRS6 One and Aim7 Two) – sounded pretty similar/good CRS6 is in budget AIM 7 just over budget. 5 and 6 are Klipsh 1650 (crisp mid and high but no low end) and Polk RC60 very ‘dull’ sound in general. The CRS6 One seemed like a good bet but it lacked any treble attenuation. The Aim7 caught my eye because the woofer could be oriented….but at 210 each I’m not sure it’s in my budget. I keep telling myself there is a killer 300 a pair speaker out there but I have yet to find it….

While I am at it I want to install 2 speakers in the kitchen – traditional flat ceiling so a good sounding (musical) speaker is all I need – Also want to stay at 6 or 7 in with minimal grill trim ring. So budget for speakers is 600 for 4 unless someone can make a good case for making a step up.

Sorry for the long winded story – but I take this seriously and did not want to leave out any relevant fact in case some kind soul takes pity on me and helps out….. and oh yeah I need to order them tomorrow. The ceiling comes down on Tuesday…..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I saw that too and I was very tempted until I did a search on the seller....thay are from Cra*** Super***. I also found a lawsuit Speakercraft filed against them on patent infrigement grounds - and that scared me off a bit. So I shifted my price searches to 'authorized' dealers only and it seems like 'everyone' was at 210 each.....

All that being said - for approx 200 each - is the Aim7 Two is as good as it gets?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ad while I think about it....I did find an authorized dealer where I can get 12% off - which gets me down to 185 each.

Any thoughts on the ATON speaker selector/switch?

·
Registered
11,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownie  /t/1419390/need-some-in-ceiling-speaker-advice#post_22201846

Yeah I saw that too and I was very tempted until I did a search on the seller....thay are from Cra*** Super***. I also found a lawsuit Speakercraft filed against them on patent infrigement grounds - and that scared me off a bit. So I shifted my price searches to 'authorized' dealers only and it seems like 'everyone' was at 210 each.....

All that being said - for approx 200 each - is the Aim7 Two is as good as it gets?

I think Speakercraft is the way to go. I actually helped a neighbor install the HTD R65AIM spearkers and was not that impressed. They are decent for the money, but I would probably step up to Speakercraft. They (HTD) are closer to the Polk speakers in terms of sound but are at least angled. I also have heard the Martin Logan Helos 100 and like those. They are $249 on sale at Audioholics, but they have the Helos 10 for $149 on sale and you could mix and match.

·
Registered
11,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1419390/need-some-in-ceiling-speaker-advice#post_22201861

A little above your budget, but nice speakers, RBH MC-815: http://www.rbhsound.com/mc815.php For less money, you could look at the A-815: http://www.rbhsound.com/a815.php

+1. I have actually owned these and loved them. I also bought them with the backer box that RBH sells as well. I suspect well over budget

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok - down to two choices

SpeakerCraft AIM 7 Two

or

Episode 700 6.5" ES-700-IC6

Can get the Episodes for about $ 50 Less per pair.

What say the experts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which series of DT speakers? DI or UIW? How would you characterize their sound as compared to the Speakercraft or Episode speakers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts