AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this might be a little long but bare with me....

I've had a Samsung HLP4674 for a little over 4 years, and it's been a great set and I've been really happy with Samsung over the years, but I feel now that I picked up a Blu-ray player, it's time to move on, plus my warranty expired so I'm worried something might happen to the TV.

Back in November I picked up one of the Samsung LN40A500's and was not happy at all. The colors always seemed washed out and were never accurate no matter what I did (even tried using the calibration settings from the 550 thread). Plus it seemed every time I would move off dead center of the TV the picture got washed out, and there were also uniformity issues with the backlight being brighter on the sides of the screen. I came to learn about the Samsung panel codes and their meanings and determined I had a "C" code (apparently the worst type) I sent the TV back, but was unable to get a new one because of the limited number of manufactured units.

So my friend has agreed to buy my DLP for $500, and I've been trying to figure out which set to go for now, but I just can't seem to decide. That's where you guys come in. There is only 1 feature that the set has to have and that is the ability to have PiP on the PC input. I love how the Samsungs let you put a tiny box of the tv in the bottom corner of the screen while using the computer, so that is the only feature I require.

I've been checking out cnet, and here are the sets I've taken into consideration. Price is a big deal for me right now, so the cheaper the set the better, so long as the picture quality is still halfway decent. I'm looking at spending a max of $1200 and it must be a minimum of 46"

Samsung LN46A550 - I'm really leaning mostly toward this one, but the damn panel code is scaring me again, and I'm just worried I'll end up with the same problems I had on the other set.

Vizio GV47LF - Pretty cheap set and also seems to be highly rated, though I always told myself I would never buy a Vizio but if they are a good TV I might have to reconsider

Toshiba Regza - A buddy of mine I used to work with at Best Buy, reccomended the Toshibas cause he said they have the best colors and black levels. I did notice when I compared it in the store with the Sonys and Samsungs that it did seem to be a lot more vibrant and have darker blacks but just not sure about the quality and reliability of those sets

Westinghouse TX47F430S - Like the Vizio, another cheap set, but also seems to be fairly highly rated.

Sharp AQUOS - was checking out the 64 and 65 series models. These can found for cheap online, but I've always heard not so great reviews on the Sharps.

So those are what I have been checking into. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them, just again, I'm looking for a min 46" with PC PiP no more than $1200.

Thanks everyone for your help

·
Registered
148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdj /forum/post/15582376

Sharp AQUOS - was checking out the 64 and 65 series models. These can found for cheap online, but I've always heard not so great reviews on the Sharps.

Where did you hear that? I've heard the opposite!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 46" Sharp Aquos LCD (LCC4655U). I have had it since mid November 2008. I have had no issues whats so ever. The picture is vibrant and couldnt ask for anything better. Plus it has so many input hook ups. For example i have 4 HDMI inputs! Read lots of reviews thats my recomendation. I got mine at Costco for 1k. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Sharp Aquos 32D64U is lovely. But don't read CNET, what do they know about TVs. Look at A/V sites & magazines online ... you might also consider Consumer Reports. And for me going into the store and spending an hour staring at all the sets made a big difference. I went in wanting a huge Samsung plasma and came out wanting exactly what I have -- a small Sharp LCD.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so after MANY hours of research, here is what I've come up with...

Samsung LN46A550 - $1130 with no tax and free shipping

Sharp AQUOS LC46D65U - $999 with no tax and free shipping

Toshiba REGZA 46RV530U - $1079.99 with no tax and free shipping, and also the 525U - $1049.99 with no tax and free shipping

Can somebody tell me what the difference is between these 2 sets?

and finally the LG 47LG50 - $1179.99 with no tax and free shipping

I decided to ditch the Vizio and Westinghouse as I couldn't find any deals that were much better if at all then these other sets.

Also as far as the PiP feature goes, if need be I'll just throw a capture card in my computer and do it that way, if I can't find that feature on one of these sets.

It seems to me for the price that Sharp is a steal, but is it worth paying more for any of those other sets?

·
Registered
73 Posts
i'd probably wait for the new LED LCD displays to come out. Vizio is going to have some really interesting displays out come june for pretty much the same price as the ones you quoted

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdj /forum/post/15584760

Ok so after MANY hours of research, here is what I've come up with...

Samsung LN46A550 - $1130 with no tax and free shipping

Beware even the 'S' panel quality is downgrading, not to mention 'A' and 'C' panel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'm gonna throw Vizio back into the mix, though not the model I originally mentioned...

Sam's has the Vizio SV470XVT for $999 right now, and from my research on cnet and the official XVT thread on here, this is now the TV I'm most considering.

The Sharp is still second, and is still technically cheaper because of no tax, but I'm a bit wary since the 65U has a 8 bit panel as opposed to the 10 bit panel in the Vizio.

The black levels is where I'm most concerned though. On paper the Sharp shows a higher CR of 10,000 as opposed to the Vizio at only 6,500.

The Vizio also has 120 Hz which I've never thought was a very important feature but apparently it has become more of "the" most sought after feature on these TVs.

Based on those 2 sets, which one should I go with?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I somehow doubt you'd be disappointed with any of them. Best thing would be to see them in person. However I find the stores have terrible RF coax feeds for many of the screen, and it is very difficult to determine what they really llook like.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so now the Toshiba is back in the mix again as well. I just can't make up my mind...so now it's down to...

Vizio, Sharp, and Toshiba

I just can't get over that contrast ratio...

Toshiba - 15,000

Sharp - 10,000

Vizio - 6,500

Is it really going to make a difference?

My 4 year old Sammy DLP I've had is 2,500:1 and the blacks are pretty bad, so I definitely wouldn't want to skimp on the CR, and from what I've read the blacks on the Toshiba are VERY good, though color accuracy is somewhat off.

I've heard the color on the Vizio is pretty good, and the Sharp isn't too bad, but at least you can tweak that set like crazy, where the Toshiba is pretty limited in it's picture controls

Also the panel...

Sharp - 8 bit

Toshiba - 8 bit

Vizio - 10 bit

Am I really going to see a difference in an 8 or 10 bit panel?

Still trying to figure out exactly what the differences are between the 525U and 530U Toshiba. I checked their site, and I see that the 530 is the current model, and the 525 is only $50 less but is there any feature benefit by going with the 530?

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdj /forum/post/15582376

So this might be a little long but bare with me....

I've had a Samsung HLP4674 for a little over 4 years, and it's been a great set and I've been really happy with Samsung over the years, but I feel now that I picked up a Blu-ray player, it's time to move on, plus my warranty expired so I'm worried something might happen to the TV.

Back in November I picked up one of the Samsung LN40A500's and was not happy at all. The colors always seemed washed out and were never accurate no matter what I did (even tried using the calibration settings from the 550 thread). Plus it seemed every time I would move off dead center of the TV the picture got washed out, and there were also uniformity issues with the backlight being brighter on the sides of the screen. I came to learn about the Samsung panel codes and their meanings and determined I had a "C" code (apparently the worst type) I sent the TV back, but was unable to get a new one because of the limited number of manufactured units.

So my friend has agreed to buy my DLP for $500, and I've been trying to figure out which set to go for now, but I just can't seem to decide. That's where you guys come in. There is only 1 feature that the set has to have and that is the ability to have PiP on the PC input. I love how the Samsungs let you put a tiny box of the tv in the bottom corner of the screen while using the computer, so that is the only feature I require.

I've been checking out cnet, and here are the sets I've taken into consideration. Price is a big deal for me right now, so the cheaper the set the better, so long as the picture quality is still halfway decent. I'm looking at spending a max of $1200 and it must be a minimum of 46"

Samsung LN46A550 - I'm really leaning mostly toward this one, but the damn panel code is scaring me again, and I'm just worried I'll end up with the same problems I had on the other set.

Vizio GV47LF - Pretty cheap set and also seems to be highly rated, though I always told myself I would never buy a Vizio but if they are a good TV I might have to reconsider

Toshiba Regza - A buddy of mine I used to work with at Best Buy, reccomended the Toshibas cause he said they have the best colors and black levels. I did notice when I compared it in the store with the Sonys and Samsungs that it did seem to be a lot more vibrant and have darker blacks but just not sure about the quality and reliability of those sets

Westinghouse TX47F430S - Like the Vizio, another cheap set, but also seems to be fairly highly rated.

So those are what I have been checking into. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them, just again, I'm looking for a min 46" with PC PiP no more than $1200.

Thanks everyone for your help

The toshiba lcds are some of the most reliable there are according to consumer reports.

Brand Repairs and Serious Problems

Flat panel TVs

Sanyo 1

Sony 2

Sylvania 2

Panasonic 2

JVC 2

Sharp 2

Toshiba 3

Vizio 3

Samsung 3

Philips Magnavox 3

Olevia 4

LG 4

Hitachi 4

Westinghouse 5

Polaroid 6

Mitsubishi 7

·
Registered
240 Posts
The 525 is newer than the 530, but it is a bit more low end. The 530 has a better processor in it (14bit vs 10bit for the 525). I would go with the 530 for the few extra bucks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm sort of looking for the same features as you. I think my westinghouse is going to have to be replaced and its one feature it has is PIP that thankfully the insignia model doesn't have. After researching, I've read about 3 reviews that say the LG model does not have PIP.. then I read someone else said it had a quirky pip that only worked on a certain inputs. Still researching as I plan to make sure I'm armed with fighting material for my service contract. If I had a choice I'd go with Sharp or Toshiba, never had a problem with anything they've made.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts