AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm BAAACK! Still replacing my old entry level 5.1 Sony A/V Receiver and when last here asking about BEST possible "economical" 7.1 replacements.......I was given what appears to be a GREAT Tip, which was the Onkyo 504 because I mentioned I would like to stay under $200. BUT after reading much more here and reviews galore - I am upping the anty some, like maybe around $250 or so.

I do not need HDMI capabilities, my HDTV has a DVI, but I use Component connections from SAT to TV and to DVD. I really do not think Component switching is even necessary - confused here - but from what I can deduce, running your HDTV etc. Component connectors thru the A/V Receiver does NOT "IMPROVE" anything quality wise, right? It just makes it more convenient using your A/V Receiver remote - right?

NEXT - I have read some reviews that said that Onkyo 504 produces outstanding Surround Sound where the SEPARATION is clearly defined - THIS is what I want more than anything - my old Sony kept you guessing most of the time. Are ALL Onkyo's created Equal in this respect......SQ wise......like IF I went for the 574 instead of 504 - would the SQ be the same? I have read here that SQ of the Onkyo is much better than the Pioneer 816 [which was on my list] - I realize how subjective that is. NEXT - I was also told to check out the Panasonic ---55..........for GREAT sound and price in this range......read mostly GLOWING reviews of the SQ of this unit and makes me lean toward it, wanting that REAL Surround Sound SQ with great separation [I use my A/V Receiver almost exclusively for TV and Movies]. BUT please tell me about this, some said the BASS was BAD on the Panny 55. but an Audiophile posted that you need to tell it that your front speakers are LARGE and turn OFF your Sub-Woofer - - then he says the 55 pumps out NICE BASS. ??? - IF you turn OFF your Sub-Woofer - does that Panny still feed your Sub - -- how does that work??? Sounds like you then have wasted money on a powered sub???

Please advise as to what would be BEST for me that I have expressed my shopping needs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

THANKS Michael

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
There is a thread on the XR-55 here, just do a search and it shoudn't be hard to find, should answer more of your questions on it. I have no clue what this person was talking about setting your speakers to large and turning off the sub. Maybe for music if you had a pair of large floorstanding speakers that would handle the bass it might be prefered for music but the general rule is to set all your speakers to small and let the sub handle the lows that the speakers aren't meant to handle. This also takes a load off your receiver because the subs amp is providing the power for the lows which is harder on an amp. The XR-55 is known for being a bit bright due to it's digital amps when matched with some speakers but then again happy owners will tell you it's producing sound from the source the way it was intended. That probably comes down to preference but I woudln't pair it with a known excessivly bright speaker such as kliplich.

IMO still at

If you're interested in the XR-55 I would check out the thread, it gets rave reviews for SQ I would still go for the 504 but that's preference.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
So it is between the Panasonic 55, or the two Onkyo AVR's?

For a little more still than $250 you can get the Panasonic SAXR57S which seems a decent enough step up in the under $300 AVR's.

I would probably go with it, becuase of the HDMI handling.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question - - - I notice that the Panny 55 definitely supports Bi-Wiring and has a place in Setup to tell it IF you have your speakers bi-wired......I do have my front speakers bi-wired..............do you think that having that feature isa real PLUS over the Onkyo 504 [w/o bi-wire setting] - - - OR - - - - wouldn't it even make a difference???

TKS Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.