AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as you will see im starting out. i have a good idea of what is what but need clarification .. here it is...

I have just bought the following..

denon 2802

nht sb2 ( 2 sets)

and NHT sc1 center channel.

through this receiver im running a XBOX with the advances av pack ( has optical output and s video)

and a rca satellite receiver. also has them both ... they also have regular RCA connections..

now to my questions.

the 2802 has categorized inputs ( VCR VCR2 dvd etc..) and next to them it has the rca inputs and s video input . the unit also has 3 optical inputs but they are not located near the dedicated inputs ( vcr , vcr1 dvd etc..)

with the receiver just know what to play for sound if i use the optical inputs and s video outputs? what i mean is.. if i leave the xbox on and the satellite will the audio mix and if so can that damage the receiver ( im guessing no ) and if i use optical in to the receiver will i have to run optical and s video out to the monitor ( gateway 42 inch plasma) ?

hope i didn't confuse you as much as i confused my self

also.. i played the movie Matrix through the xbox and turned on Dolby in the xbox menu.. but the receiver didn't flash Dolby or anything but analog . im using all rca inputs and outoputs right now.. is this the reason im not getting the receiver to play Dolby.. becuase im using analog wiring ?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I don't have a Denon, but probably each optical input is assignable to one of various devices, using the receiver's setup procedure.

The receiver will not mix signals from different input jacks. You can leave them all connected.

Probably S-Video output from the receiver has to come from some S-Video input to the receiver (rather than component or composite), if that's what you're asking. You don't need to worry about connecting an optical audio output into your monitor, since the receiver is handling the sound.

To play Dolby digital from your xbox, digital output jack from xbox has to be connected to a digital input jack on the receiver, the receiver has to be set up by assigning its digital input to whatever device you're decided the xbox will be called, and also the receiver may have to be told to use the digital audio input rather than the analog inputs for this device, if you have them both connected.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.