AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading on this forum for a while now and can't seem to find a definitive answer. I've been a big lcd supporter and suddenly had a change of heart. Seeing the pro111d in action has gotten me memorised. But certain things are still making me hesistant to buy a plasma. So, i'm hoping all you plasma owners can help.

First off, I'm an avid gamer when i have time for it and the whole IR/Burn in issue bothers me. I understand you have to break in the tv before i can really get it going, but is gaming on it that bad? I don't want to worry about it all the time if i want get my between 2-5 hour sessions in. Second would be that I don't have HD source of video can i just watch SD fullscreen? Would that be suffice to not have IR or make the tv not broken in properly? Also I have a HTPC and like to stream movies from my pc, would that work if i can play HD content from that. I don't have a blu ray yet but eventually i will.

Other thing is that I understand that having a professional calibration is the way to go to get the best picture out of the set. If i just use the calibrations i've seen on here will it be not as good? People have calibrated there sets and I need to know if a z85 could come close to a 800u or 850u? I was at a b & m store and they said that all their plasmas have been pro calibrated and the 58 850u isn't as detailed as the 5020. Is that really possible?

which one would be better for my situation? The ones i'm considering are a 58 800u or 850 (not sure if one is truly better than the other), a 5020 or a 52 a850 lcd. They all seem to be around the same price range online. Or just go with like a 50 z85 and save the dough? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Regarding gaming, there's lots of posts on the topic around here. General summary is that if you don't abuse the panel (use Vivid mode and leave the thing sit overnight) that you don't have to worry at all about burn-in. IR (image retention) may occur, but IR is a temporary non-issue (it goes away...if you get it at all).

Yes you can watch video content in SD full screen without any harm. Full screen is recommended the first 100 hours but not necessary with these new panels.

When you say you don't have HD video, I'm assuming that you have HD cable or Satellite but no blue ray for movies. If you don't have HD content for general viewing (TV) plan on getting it or don't bother investing in either set. That's like buying a 911 turbo and never leaving your neighborhood.

As for size, the extra 8 inches is huge. If you have a 10ft+ viewing distance GO BIG. If your going to be on top of the thing, 50 may be pushing it. Go for the 58 800U and play with some of the calibration settings discussed in that owners forum and you won't be disappointed.

I'm pretty particular and I'm very happy with panasonic. Personally, I'd say that if your even asking the question and your heart isn't absolutely dead set on a Pio for whatever reason, that you'd be a very happy Panasonic guy (with a much bigger panel) too.

Good Luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the answers and advice. Unfortunately, I didn't upgrade to HD on my sat yet since like I sad i'm more of a gamer. I will obviously go HD once I get a TV. Does anyone stream movies or HD content from their computers? How does that look like? Also, I never asked how good gaming looks on a plasma? anyone gaming on a 58 800u or a 5020? I know movies and stuff the PQ is fantastic but does gaming hold true as well?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. you could try HD OTA (ovr the air) via good antenna. personally been looking at Philips MANT940; appears to work well w/i 30-40mi. Believe, with over the internet movies, they are 'highly compressed' so you may be disappointed w/ that medium.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
if youre gaming 2-5 hours a day regardless of the actual potential for burn in i would be worried that it would make your gaming experience less enjoyable if you are constantly anxious about burn in. if it were me id go lcd. i personally have been underwhelmed by the kuros (esp at tha price--then again, im not a black level afficianado) and panasonic does make a fine plasma!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
wow denophile thats all i can say

OP

i game on my pioneer elite pro-111 and before that my panansonic plasma 42px75u and NEVER had burn in,

if you see my gamertag gus738 on xbl you will see that i game the specific game more then 3 hrs!! sometimes the whole night just gaming SURE diffrent games but gaming none the less.

the pioneer elite is worth the extra cost if you can budge dont hesitate on getting it. if you cant then get the pdp 5020 and thats good enough.after then i would go with the panasonic and last being samsung.

you will enjoy plasma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile /forum/post/15518094

if youre gaming 2-5 hours a day regardless of the actual potential for burn in i would be worried that it would make your gaming experience less enjoyable if you are constantly anxious about burn in. if it were me id go lcd. i personally have been underwhelmed by the kuros (esp at tha price--then again, im not a black level afficianado) and panasonic does make a fine plasma!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
daniel - thanks for heads up but i was referring to streaming movies from my comp harddrive not from the internet. I get tv shows and movies from my friend and watch it that way instead of using a standalone dvd player.

deno- I might just take your advice and go lcd.

gus - glad to hear someone playing on their plasma and not worried about burn in. what about IR is apparent after you game on it? i would love to get an elite but can't seem to justify the price. 5020 is alittle more reasonable. But wanting to save money i might go panasonic.

I can't seem to figure out why the 800u isn't as detailed as i thought it would be compared to 5020 or an lcd tv. Is it the stores settings thats throwing it off? Like an outline of something looks faded and the picture doesn't seem bright enough. I've been tweaking the settings in store and just can't seem to get it as nice or as bright as the other two i mentioned without going to like vivid mode. Can someone tell me if i'm wrong or its just how it looks in store?

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
No body really worries about IR cause it's temporary and goes away. If it doesn't then it's burn-in. Which makes me wonder why is IR even considered an issue?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
dvs6 thats cool if you dont want to go with an elite the non elite is a HUGE step up compare to other tiers like samusng or panasonic. Well i would take a non elite over a panasonic or samsusng. To tell you the trueth i cant even see a tiny hint after playing about 8hrs in saints row 2 or rockband 2 from noon to 11pm .... like i said add my gamer tag and you will see im always on a specific game on my elite.

I would still take a panasonic or a samsung plasma over any lcd thats how bad i think lcd are.

Oh and the fact that the panasonic is not as sharp as the pioneer why??? its simple the pioneer is just better Picture Quality, why is a lexus faster then a corola? just better.

settings can also throw it off but not too much, and vivid mode yucck inaccurate crushing is not a good mode. I love pure performance opitnum and once calibrated ISF CCC auto /day ...
imagen plasma as bright as lcd without crushing blacks or clipping whites...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs6 /forum/post/15519992

daniel - thanks for heads up but i was referring to streaming movies from my comp harddrive not from the internet. I get tv shows and movies from my friend and watch it that way instead of using a standalone dvd player.

deno- I might just take your advice and go lcd.

gus - glad to hear someone playing on their plasma and not worried about burn in. what about IR is apparent after you game on it? i would love to get an elite but can't seem to justify the price. 5020 is alittle more reasonable. But wanting to save money i might go panasonic.

I can't seem to figure out why the 800u isn't as detailed as i thought it would be compared to 5020 or an lcd tv. Is it the stores settings thats throwing it off? Like an outline of something looks faded and the picture doesn't seem bright enough. I've been tweaking the settings in store and just can't seem to get it as nice or as bright as the other two i mentioned without going to like vivid mode. Can someone tell me if i'm wrong or its just how it looks in store?

Thanks again guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts