Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone:

I just received authorization from my homeowner's association that I can put up a TV antenna in addition to my dish. I am approx. 40 miles from the Empire State Building and 60 miles from Philadelphia. Right now I use a Silver Sensor on top of my TV which gives me very weak performance since I find it VERY directional.

What I would like to know are the following:

1. Is there a UHF antenna that can pull in signals from both NYC & Philly w/o changing the antena's direction (no rotor)? I noticed that many people in this general area are using the CM4228.....is this the antenna of choice for this are and if so, why is that so?

2. Does a rotor such as the CM9521a work with only specific CM antennas? The CM4228 has a turning radius of 20 inches......what is significant about that terms of performance and any other practical matter?

3. What is a good control device to control the rotor? Is there a readout on it so you know how to point the antenna in the right direction to pull in specific signals?

4. Can you recommend a website or dealer in the area that carries the equipment?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PSully

1. Is there a UHF antenna that can pull in signals from both NYC & Philly w/o changing the antena's direction (no rotor)? I noticed that many people in this general area are using the CM4228.....is this the antenna of choice for this are and if so, why is that so?

2. Does a rotor such as the CM9521a work with only specific CM antennas? The CM4228 has a turning radius of 20 inches......what is significant about that terms of performance and any other practical matter?

3. What is a good control device to control the rotor? Is there a readout on it so you know how to point the antenna in the right direction to pull in specific signals?

4. Can you recommend a website or dealer in the area that carries the equipment?
1. The 4228 is a very high gain antenna, which is preferred for areas with weak signals like yours. It is also rather directional so you shouldn't expect to get both NYC and Philadephia with it pointed in one direction. (As a side note, at your distance, it would be almost impossible for any antenna to do this.)

2. A rotor is a turning device and has no idea what brand antenna you've mounted to the mast above it. :) Turning radius simply tells you how far from the mast the antenna sticks out on the sides - you don't want to run the antenna into something while it's turning. It has no impact on performance of the antenna itself.

3. The 9521A is an excellent rotor and comes with an indoor digital, remote-controlled box that shows the direction the antenna is pointed in degrees (assuming proper installation.) You can also program it to respond to certain channel numbers by automatically turning to a specific direction.

4. Stark Electronics ( www.starkelectronic.com ) is an excellent supplier with a large amount of equipment. They don't currently take web orders, but you can pick your equipment out and then call them with your wish list. Warren Electronics ( www.warrenelectronics.com ) also has gotten high marks, though they've almost never had what I wanted in stock.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.