AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a few years back, after my Freshman year of college, I moved out of the dorms and into a mediocre-at-best townhouse like many other college kids do. Clearly, with my own house, I needed something other than my computer speakers to play music.

I bought two Cerwin Vega VE-12Fs and they have been awesome.
cerwinvega.com/home-audio/floorstanding-speakers/ve-12f.html

Unfortunately, they have been way more awesome than my previous two receivers. Granted, both of these receivers were inexpensive. The first was one I had laying around my house and could pump out 50watts to each speaker - that one blew out fairly quickly. On the next receiver, I decided to upgrade a little bit - could pump out 90watts to each speaker. Again, RIP.

What i'm getting at here is I need some advice. I clearly don't know what i'm doing.

Any receiver/amp recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. I only have a handful of college weekends left and it would be wrong if I could not crack a beer at noon and blast some music on any given day, no?

Please Help!
Thanks in advance, this beer's for you, guy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What exactly are you playing? What is the source?
Playing all sorts of music - from classic rock to EDM to hip/hop. Ideally, i'd like to be able to play from either an iphone or through the tv. I'm assuming this is what you meant by source?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yes. If it's music only then you don't need a receiver, just an integrated amplifier though you'll have to figure out how you plan to get sound from the TV. Is that going to be just stereo via RCA cables? Is it coming from a cable box?

For just hifi, you should be able to pick up a quality used integrated amp quite easily. You shouldn't need more power than you've had in the past unless you listed to things quite loud.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts