AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

As my wife and I are about to begin on the "building a new home" journey, I need some help with some recommendations for whole home automation. It seems the more I've been reading, the more I feel really lost and realize how little I really know what's out there.

-We know we'll be wanting the lights to have an automated feature.
-We know that we want about 4 rooms or zones of audio in the house, but only really need the ability to stream 2 different independent sources of audio, not 4 sources of audio for each of the 4 rooms.
-We know our security will need to be tied to this
-We don't necessarily need our garages to be hooked into the system
-We don't necessarily need our in-ground sprinklers to be hooked into the system
-We know that we'll need it to control our home theater as well (projector w/ automatic anamorphic lens slide, lighting, different video components)

Any recommendations on companies/products to research? I've done some initial reading on Control4, Savant, Legrand but again feel pretty lost. Thx

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey all,

As my wife and I are about to begin on the "building a new home" journey, I need some help with some recommendations for whole home automation. It seems the more I've been reading, the more I feel really lost and realize how little I really know what's out there.

-We know we'll be wanting the lights to have an automated feature.
-We know that we want about 4 rooms or zones of audio in the house, but only really need the ability to stream 2 different independent sources of audio, not 4 sources of audio for each of the 4 rooms.
-We know our security will need to be tied to this
-We don't necessarily need our garages to be hooked into the system
-We don't necessarily need our in-ground sprinklers to be hooked into the system
-We know that we'll need it to control our home theater as well (projector w/ automatic anamorphic lens slide, lighting, different video components)

Any recommendations on companies/products to research? I've done some initial reading on Control4, Savant, Legrand but again feel pretty lost. Thx
Start with the control system and work your way out to components. You should be picking your components based on best compatibility with your control system.

If you want to program it yourself:

Luxone
iRule
Speakercraft/Niles

If you want it professionally designed/programmed:

Control4
Savant
Elan g!
Crestron

There's some good reading material!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this. I'm leaning more towards the latter. Ideally, instead of a diy, I would have it professionally installed so that i could tell the person what I'd want each function to do, they would program it then would likely just leave it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts