AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from some of the folks here who have a better understanding of speakers and what is available on the market....

I recently moved into a new home and have so far upgraded my TV (Panny 65ZT60) and have ordered a Onkyo TX-NR818 to replace my almost 8 yr old Yamaha HTR-5990....

This particular room is my main family room/living room and it has a nice built-in cabinet that spans the entire wall where my TV L/C/R's will be......This was is approx 18' wide. The room is 25' deep and completely open at the rear to the kitchen. The ceiling is vaulted. There are plenty of hard surfaces, wood floors, windows, drywall, etc.....I sit approx 14' away from the wall for TV viewing.....

My Energy CF-70 Towers won't work here because I have nowhere to put them. Therefore I currently have my Energy CB-20 bookshelf's off their stands and on the shelf of the built-in cabinet. This cabinet is 43" wide, 27" deep, and 18" High (adjustable) My Energy CC-10 Center is setting on the mantle, which is 11" deep.

I really don't see any other option other than to use the mantle and this shelf for these speakers. I would like to spend approx $500 per speaker, preferable less but would spend more if the perfect solution was out there.....

This system will be mixed use....TV watching general programming, sports, movies....and music......Think Pink Floyd Animals....

I want some mains (and complementing centers) that have more capability. What is out there? I know of the DefTech Mythos and their new Studio Monitor 65's....I am worried how the passive radiators will sound inside these built-in wooden cabinets.

Since they are inside these cabinets should I only consider front-ported speakers?

BTW, the rears are Niles HD-800 in-wall speakers.....for some strange reason they are mounted 7' of the floor.....How will these blend with any new system? I'm not opposed to replacing them....

I also plan on using my old Velodyne powered sub...

Are some of the internet speakers good? Ascend, Aperion, HSU, etc....??

Here is a pic of the wall-spanning built-in cabinet for reference.....

·
Registered
594 Posts
How does your significant other feel about knocking out those shelves? I'm guessing it's a no-go.

My first concern when looking at that photo is finding a suitable hard point to attach your speakers to. I wouldn't want to put bookshelf speakers on those bookshelves because they're too flimsy and it would look bad. It would be a crime to cut into the molding.
That doesn't leave much space. The top of the photo is cut off, but it sorta looks like there's a little space at the top to put some wall mount speakers. That's probably your best bet all around.

I don't know much about what's on the market, but if that was my room I'd be shopping for small (like 5" woofer) 2-way speakers that have wall mounts available for them. The Velodyne will have to handle everything under 100Hz. That's the only thing I can think of that doesn't require major remodeling and won't rattle the Hummels.

·
Registered
132 Posts
How about putting them on the left and right lowest or middle shelves- centered with the baffles at the edge for a better result.. Or

Install a couple of bottom mount drawer slides in the same position and slide out you mains for listening and back in for everyday TV. You'd have to put trim around the hardware to meet WAF.

Cheers, Mac

·
Registered
594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macddmac  /t/1501243/need-some-speaker-suggestions#post_23987586

How about putting them on the left and right lowest or middle shelves- centered with the baffles at the edge...
One trick that can work well with bookshelf speakers is to surround them with...books. Filling up the bookshelves with books will damp the standing waves that are most likely to color the sound, and they'll help support the speakers as well. Obviously it would change the look considerably, but that would be one way to make those crevices more acoustically friendly.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
I think the cabinets are deep enough that you don't necessarily need front-ported speakers. The Deftech SM65s are certainly a good option. With $1000 for a budget you have quite a few quality options.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 ($848-$948 depending on finish)

Monitor Audio Silver RX-2 ($699 at Audio Advisor, sale)

Focal Chorus 706V

KEF Q300 ($650)

Dynaudio Excite X12 ($949 at dedicatedaudio.com)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your responses. The bottom shelf is roughly ear level when seated. The shelves and cabinets are sturdy and can easily handle the weight of the speakers.....

The top of this built-in is open but is at least 10 ft off the floor.....

·
Registered
594 Posts
That is some lovely cabinetry work there! It takes a while to see how intricate it is in that photo.

My main worries about putting the speakers on the bottom shelf are about the things that could cause objectionable "boomy" sounds, more so than weight. Filling the shelves with books, and maybe a little Sonex in the back will hopefully tame any standing waves that might develop inside the large cavities. You might want to fill up the space behind the doors as well if there's any boominess left.

Another thought is to brace the bottom shelves, not to hold the weight but to help transfer the vibrations from the speakers to a more solid area, and keep the shelf from acting like a passive radiator. That might be entirely unnecessary if you line the shelves with books, but I figured I'd put it out there just in case. Better to have too many than too few.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some good points folks......

Since the space inside the cabinets is large I suppose they don't have to be front ported for the L & R....However, this mantle is 11" deep and I would assume it would need a front ported or sealed CC.....

That being said I would really love Sierra Horizon's across the front L/C/R....but they are $1000 each (nearly $1400 each w/ ribbon tweeter)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts