AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old (circa 2001) Bose Lifestyle 12 ls12 system that I want to upgrade. Pics and some somewhat inaccurate specs here:

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Bose-LS12

I think the bass is just muddy, and it doesn't support DTS in spite of what that page said. Plus I want to get a new sound system that supports the new lossless formats.

I don't want to spend very much on this project, probably less than $500.

From the look of things, I should be able to salvage the 5 satellite speakers that came with the bose as they are compatible with normal speaker wire, and they may be of decent audio quality (unless somebody else here disagrees and thinks I should just start from scratch?) Everything else is more or less junk as it is based on proprietary connections and controllers.

So I guess I am going to need a new sub and a new receiver, hopefully one that can produce good sound through the bose satellite speakers for the time being, until I can eventually replace them later if necessary. As for the receiver, I want something that accepts two or more of the following of each: coaxial, optical, hdmi, and also at least one set of 6ch analog inputs for my HTPC. Adat would be nice as my HTPC supports it, but AFAIK no ADAT receivers exist for the home theater setup.

Radio tuners and built in cd-players are not needed as I wouldn't use them (this kind of audio is always sourced from my PC) but I don't mind if it has them anyways.

Anybody have any idea of where I should start looking? BTW I am not picky about brands just so long as it produces decent sound.

Also, I was also considering just getting rid of the whole thing and buying a logitech z-5500 instead. How would this compare to the setup I am looking at with a

Thanks for any guidance anybody can provide here.

·
Registered
867 Posts
From the Bose specs, can you find if they list the satelite speaker impedance - 8, 6, or 4 Ohm. As far as I know, Bose systems are designed to work as one whole, I doubt that the satelites will produce decent sound, so my best advice is to get some better speakers. But for your

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...you know, I can't find any specs for them at all, not even from the manual. I am curious if those logitech z-5500 pc speakers will outdo this system though. It just has muddy bass and horrible midrange sounds.

I have heard that the logitechs aren't very good when it comes to softer, quieter sounds though.

FWIW I am intending for a sound system primarily for games and movie watching.

·
Registered
506 Posts
my suggestion at this price range would be to buy the pioneer 816 at ~$299 and a good Center channel speaker, preferably a 3-way speaker. Someone else will have to post about using the bose for surrounds, but, I bought some Yamaha's from Best Buy for $50 each that probably sound better. You only have 3 speakers and a good receiver at this point so adding rears will take some more saving.

Once you have that accomplished, save up for the SVS PB-10NSD.

I think that would make a very impressive system on the cheap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
pay someone 500 dollars to rob a best buy. lol j/k

good luck finding a budget theater like the rest of us, there are many ways to get a solid surround sound on the cheap. Last years HTiB models are dropping in price and should be at a great price

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:
thanks AVS forum, for making my setup look like a hello kitty tv/vcr combo...

I haven't laughed that hard in a while...

·
Registered
19 Posts
; ]

·
Registered
506 Posts
to the best of my knowledge....I don't know if their is anything with TrueHD support yet, that would be HDMI 1.3, and the only thing I read so far was that one company, Harmon Kardon? has come out with an HDMI 1.3 receiver. There is a post about the in this area somewhere....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imromo24 /forum/post/0

to the best of my knowledge....I don't know if their is anything with TrueHD support yet, that would be HDMI 1.3, and the only thing I read so far was that one company, Harmon Kardon? has come out with an HDMI 1.3 receiver. There is a post about the in this area somewhere....

I see. I guess in that case there is no point in HDMI at all then since every other digital format is supported through coax or optical. That would make the Pioneer 816 work perfectly for me then since it has tons of features and is very cheap.

What speakers would you guys recommend to pair with this? I would prefer the $75 range, something with good bang for your buck would be nice too. Also I prefer quality over volume, as I tend not to like loud sounds and loud music like most people (when I wear headphones I keep the volume low, heh) but I do like high fidelity, e.g. being able to hear more details. Also this is for a small (~170 sq ft.) room.

Can't believe how hard it is to find components to a nice sound system. Too much puffery going on to tell what is good and what isn't, and it seems like too many "professional" reviewing sites just aren't getting the whole picture. It isn't like finding the perfect TV, which was easy for me. Then again it would probably help if I understood all of the technical details about the electrical properties of sound systems (e.g. wattage, impedance, amperage, etc.) I only really understand the digital side of things, and how human ears interpret sounds (e.g. frequency response, what ranges make up certain sounds, decibels, etc.)

·
Registered
506 Posts
That is true. Right now the only reason to have HDMI in the reciever is if you can use it as 2 in one out to switch video (and possibly lip syncing issues? but I have never used the reciever to pass video) The other reason is possibly for the internal components of the reciever to upconvert video. But now were talking more money.

I have been researching since January, nearly every night, for the right system for me. There are so many more options for audio than for video. But what all my research has paid off is saving money and going with the best of last years technology. For instance, I am not jumping into 1080p, HDDVD or waiting for True HD. I know I am an upgrader now since this will be my second big system, and I know I will eventually get that stuff when the prices come down and the technology is better defined/refined.

How many speakers do you want for $75?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:

That is true. Right now the only reason to have HDMI in the reciever is if you can use it as 2 in one out to switch video (and possibly lip syncing issues? but I have never used the reciever to pass video) The other reason is possibly for the internal components of the reciever to upconvert video. But now were talking more money.

Nah. I keep audio in the audio components, and video in the video components. Besides, my new tv has plenty of inputs. This is all for an HTPC system whose primary goal is for good games more than anything else, but watching movies is a definitive secondary goal.

Quote:

How many speakers do you want for $75?

Well, I am willing to pay up to $75 per speaker. Or is that overkill? After all things considered, I think I am going to aim my budget around $750 instead of the original $500. I am going to power shop for each of these components (like I do with all of my stuff,) for example I have already found that pioneer unit for $257, but I am still shopping around as I have already read elsewhere that somebody paid even less for it.

Right now I just want to build a 5.1 system as well. I don't really care for anything greater...although that may change in the future. So I just need a good inexpensive sub, a center speaker, and four others.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It is definately not overkill around here, I had to talk myself out of $2500 a pair speakers, I had certainly lost my mind, but it is not out of the question, many go much higher.

Depending on where you get the speakers, $75 a speaker should get you something that sounds good.

SVS has an overstock sale on the white speakers, if you can do white speakers this set is what I own in black. When I put it together I finally understood everything I read on AVS. I have always been a TV guy, good sound to me was just loud, now Im a believer. You can't beat the performance of this set for the price:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_white.cfm

I wish I could recommend something else, but my research has been aimed at moving up from this set (although I am keeping it in the den, just buying new for the basement) If you are curious, my next set will be ascend 340se. If you are stuck on a budget, maybe someone will chirp up with some help at $75 a speaker...

I still think though that you can use the bose surrounds and buy a real nice sub, at least for the meantime. Maybe take your bose to a store and hook them up to a receiver to see how they sound, or buy the Pioneer and test them when it shows up, then make a decision from there.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found some website that indicates that the bose acoustimass cube speakers have a 5.3/8 ohm impedance. I am not sure exactly what that means with two numbers listed like that, and I forgot the URL. But anyways, some of the numbers I very well know the meaning of looked horrible. It indicated the frequency response was 202hz-13khz. That is utter crap, and it is no wonder the mids sounds like ****. Since the highs are missing that would explain why the vocals sound kinda wavy.

I think I would rather just get some new speakers anyways. Maybe start off with two new front ones, a center speaker, and a subwoofer, and then add the other two later.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Part of the problem with the Bose Acoustimass setup is that the crossover point is ridiculously high. They are requiring the "sub" to produce >200Hz tones. Also, the rolloff on the cubes is way too low at 13Khz. Does the "sub" contain the amplifier for all six channels? I know this is how Bose has done it in the past. This would make salvaging the system utterly impossible and pointless. The money it would take to save some of the existing could be better spent on a new and improved system. You could even buy a decent HTiB for $750.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah, definately need some speakers with more range. Personally I don't like HTiB's because they are almost always proprietary connections and you can't upgrade the sub or the speakers independently and you are also usually stuck with it as your DVD player and your receiver. Sounds like you are willing to do some research so read up and see what you can find.

It doesn't matter if the amp is in the sub, unless the sub also has the crossover in it, which would matter. I just took a look at Best Buy and I am kind of shocked at the prices, I don't remember BB speakers being so expensive. My dad has a klipsch center from there and 2 bose direct reflecting surrounds, not sure what the fronts are, but it all sounds pretty good. I bought him his sub, so I feel kinda bad saying it, but $100 does not buy a good sub, better than no sub, but falls short for my taste.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know, I have to say that the audio market is pretty damn disappointing. Why is it that you have to spend thousands of bucks just for a receiver that supports any one of the lossless digital surround formats out there?

ADAT for example has been available for years, is completely royalty free, and is such a cheap feature (technology wise) to add.

PC soundcards are equally disappointing as there has been pretty much no innovation there for a decade. The only thing we get is creative adding a new cheap reverb feature every two years that nobody can use except for them. Woop dee doo.

You'd figure that after all of these changes that they are making to video (in both the Home Theater and PC markets individually...deep color, high end graphics cards, 1920x1080 video, sharper displays, more accurate colors) they just haven't done a damn thing with audio in a long time. At least, on the digital side of things anyways, I haven't paid much attention to how things have changed on the analog side, which is admittedly equally important if not moreso.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think because picture quality is so obvious that video components get all of the attention. I used to think that as long as I can hear the music and voices then that was all I needed. Once I got a real audio setup I am on a quest to help the masses discover what I have. All the stories about people rewatching movies or relistening to music cd's is true, there is so much detail lost in the original soundtrack if you don't have good equipment and setup properly.

Also, SACD and DVD audio don't get any attention because not many people sit in their living rooms and listen to music, but these formats have been around and have the similar competition of HDDVD and blue ray but don't get the attention because most people watch movies. I think there is some good stuff coming for audio, but it is going to get a foot hold from the movie industry and not the music industry. There are a lucky or motivated few that are enjoying very good sound quality with SACD, I hope to be one someday, but it will because I don't have a choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.