AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a sound bar for a 20' X 17' room with a 12 1/2' high ceiling and like the looks of the Vizio VSB210WS.

EDIT: In this room I have a partially open wall behind the right corner of the seating area and a 50% opening in the center of the wall to the left of the seating area. I also need to place the sound bar on the tv stand 2" off the floor or on the wall at 57" high..

Can anyone who has this unit in a larger room comment on it's performance?

I have three source components to feed to the sound bar including an older Samsung 56" DLP tv, DVD player and a HD DirecTV box. DirecTV and DVD palyer have optical and RCA analog outputs.

What other sound bar might be worth a look for my setup?

Thank you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Go for one of the Yamaha YSP models.. an 1100 will work wonders in a room that size provide you have no great obstructions.. these are the only sound bars that actually project the various beams. they decode both dolby digital and dts soundtracks.. the Vizio only has analog inputs and thus can't decode digital sound .. I also have a 56" Samsung and I have the 1100 only 12" off the ground (not ideal) and it blows the socks off ya ..

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bc,

From what I read the Yamaha YSP 1100 needs a square room to direct it's sound correctly. My 20'X17' room has large openings in the right rear and left walls so it sounds like the Yammy won't work for me.

Other ideas welcome.

Thank you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That might not be all that bad .. the unit relies more on the side walls. I have a door opening to the left of my listening area and that actually helps as sound appears to be coming from that open area .. my seating is also against the rear wall... buy one and try it .. most stores allow a ten - thirty day return policy ..

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I'm afraid you will be disappointed with the results of any "soundbar" system in a room that large with high ceiling. One small cluster of tiny speakers, using audio delay and echo circuits will not fill a large room with sound. If you do try one, make sure you can return it, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
You might want to take a look at the YSP-4000, the advantage to the 4000 is that it directs the sound beams horizontaly and verticly while the YSP-1100 does not.

How badly did I spell "horizontaly and verticly" ???

If not the YSP-4000 perhaps even check out the Sony CT-500 as it does not depend as much on reflecting walls as the YSP's do.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
318 Posts
3 full walls .. the 2 sides and a wall facing the tv ..the tv is not perfectly centered either but the auto setup configures this .. the wall facing the tv has the door opening on the left .. you must have sidewalls and a backwall for the projection to take effect ...now the backwall should be behind the seating area as it will reflect the rear channels .. my misfortune is my seating is against the back wall however the unit still sounds unbelievable.. mind you I also had a 5.1 system and I can still appreciate the 1100.. try a couple of these bars and see what you like best.. none , however, project the sound like a ysp.. some , like the yas 71 gave nice envelopin sound but not the pinpoint accuracy of the ysp

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my 20'X17' room I have a partially open wall behind the right corner of the seating area and a 50% opening in the center of the wall to the left of the seating area. I also need to place the sound bar on the tv stand 2" off the floor or on the wall at 57" high.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, after doing some more reading I'm convinced that I need a soundbar that uses a microphone to sense the room configuration and tailor the sound output accordingly.

I'm having a look at the Yammy YSP-4000, is this the way to go?

EDIT: I am now reading that the YSP-4000 does not handle the latest Blu-Ray high definition sound formats, correct? Arrrggghhhh....

Thank you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On my 2 story huge family room, I have Polk SourroundBar50 and Polk Sub PSW111. I am very happy. The sound is clear and the Sub helps fill the room with BOOM..

I agree with most of the posters that soundbar cannot beat the regular 5.1 setup but with my setup where I cannot hang 2 sourround speakers, wall not prewired with speaker cable and hates wires everywhere... I believe the sourroundbar50 with sub is the best for me. That setup is not cheap though.. I cost me around 900 for both...

check some pics...

http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=DSC_2079.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
As far as Soundbars, has anyone looked into the Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-42 ? Looks like Amazon has a silver one for under $550. As far as I can tell, people seem to like the DT Mythos line of soundbars, although there aren't a heck of a lot of reviews on it.

I know it needs a seperate receive and I was thinking of pairing it with a Pioneer VSX 819H-K AV receiver that looks like you can get for under $300.

I was looking at the Sony HTCT500 Soundbar but it seems a lot of folks were having issues with Sound cutting out. I know it would be cheaper but I don't mind spending a little extra to get something of better quality.

Any opinions on this setup? Would it be worth spending almost $900 bucks on this?

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhat /forum/post/16948265

Pinoy...those look like bamboo floors...I just put some in myself!

I digress......

I wish... its just regular solid hardwood floors but I picked the lightest color... pics are deceiving... I agree with you bamboo floors are really good!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts