AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i been messing with my video card for 2 days and can not get the thing to bit stream thru hdmi it drops audio often
and crackles when hooking up display port it crackles not as often but still does it i tried everything from re installing windows to going into bios and changing settings you name it even 20 million driver combinations my conclusion is
the problem is beyond me lol or that the video card i bought has defective or blown audio capacitors and that the person who sold it too me knew it cause i got it cheap. but i am okay i seen two old sound cards one is auzentec x-fi home theater card and there nearly impossible to find but not sure it would work in windows ten anyways the other made by Asus called Asus HDAV1.3 Xonar nothing on if that would work in windows 10

so what i am asking is does anybody know of any pc sound cards that has hdmi and will bit stream out i do not want to get rid of my Radeon vii card any help would be appreciated my goal is to stream to my receiver from pc to get atmos mainly

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
You probably need a better HDMI cable. How long is it? What brand? Video cards never see or use analog audio signals internally. It's a digital bit stream all the way. A sound card will do you no good if your receiver does the decoding. Any messing with the bit stream before it gets to your receiver is a big no-no. More so with an Atmos bit stream.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Belkin 2.1 hdmi cable i tried many same result when i had my 2080ti i had no problems with bit streaming
and if i get a pc card that has hdmi i can bit stream thru that as well i did this before using the auzentech but that was many years ago and there is no driver support for windows ten for it. there is one sure fire way i can tell if my video card is bad buy another and see if it does the same thing if it don't i could use the new card for audio and the old for picture and at least not loose out if it don't work then i know it is not my cards and it is a software issue or motherboard issue

i just did not want to buy another card if not needed i think there are some Audio I/O cards that might have hdmi out or i seen the Kona 3g card it says it bit streams out 8 channels

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some other thoughts: Player software? Driver version?
i am on the newest amd drivers for radeon vii but i have tried many same result i use pot player and cyberlink 20 , vlc, and a few others it does it all in every program .

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
i think there are some Audio I/O cards that might have hdmi out or i seen the Kona 3g card it says it bit streams out 8 channels
That is a pro card, it likely only does pcm and does not support HDCP. There are no pro HDMI audio cards that support HDCP that I know of. The auzentech card was only supported for bit streaming by Arcsoft Total Media Theater which unfortunately is long gone from the market.
If it used to work with NVidia, then I suggest you go back to NVidia. It doesn't have to be a 2080ti card, unless you are gaming or planning on running MadVR and upscaling to 4K. I use the GTX 1050 for 1080p and the GTX 1080 for 2160p with no issues as long I use reasonable MadVR settings.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a pro card, it likely only does pcm and does not support HDCP. There are no pro HDMI audio cards that support HDCP that I know of. The auzentech card was only supported for bit streaming by Arcsoft Total Media Theater which unfortunately is long gone from the market.
If it used to work with NVidia, then I suggest you go back to NVidia. It doesn't have to be a 2080ti card, unless you are gaming or planning on running MadVR and upscaling to 4K. I use the GT 1050 for 1080p and the GT 1080 for 2160p with no issues as long I use reasonable MadVR settings.
The Radeon vii card has 2 set of drivers the pro as you mentioned and the regular gaming drivers when trying both i get the same thing crackle when watching movies thru my display port using my tv for its sound and the crackle is not as frequent. but when using hdmi it bit streams out and is recognizes the sound source audio encoding like dts or dolby atmos
it's just it cuts in and out constantly making the avr re obtain it . so the card was built for bit streaming hi def audio
the reason i do not want to go back to nvidia is i like the picture rendering quality better then nvida , im going to buy another and see if it does the exact thing if it does then i will buy a new motherboard probably one geared and known to work with that series of cards then get a ryzen processor just to make sure it will all click together .

i thought also it might be a rma issue it is wierd i spent 2 days non stop reading up on and trying different things as suggested like going into bios and disabling hd audio and also going to advanced settings setting my motherboard pcie slots to gen 3 instead of auto as this card works on pcie 4 motherboards as well i also installed all kind of audio codes i even took out my pcie asus internet wirless card thinking it was getting interference from it. i am out of options lol. thanks for the imput though and that goes to everyone .

if i buy another card just like it and no issues then i know the audio on that card is bad but still could use it with other card because there are no artifacts whe using it so the video part of it is great and i can just use the new card that has no issues hdmi port for my sound .

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I was not referencing the Radeon card. I was referencing the Kona and any other pro HDMI audio cards. PCM only and no HDCP support, so it won't do what you want it to.

The reason i do not want to go back to nvidia is i like the picture rendering quality better then nvida
No way! The acknowleged leader in rendering quality and flexibility is NVidia using the MadVR video renderer.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay thanks i think i figured out how to by pass it Asus made a card that does work in windows 10
Asus HDAV1.3 Xonar , i tried everything i even flashed my gpu to a older version and it still doing the same thing
the card is 4.0 pcie working in a gen 3 motherboard it might be getting conflicting interference beyond me but trying to use hdmi it cuts in and out like it was a hdcp issue so i hope this works for me thanks for all the info and help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts