AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am located near Washington, DC and desire to install a black acoustical tile ceiling of appproximately 300 sq ft (of the total 450sq ft of the room, approx 150 sq ft are sheet rocked). Lots of expensive black acoustical ceiling tile is available on th net. I am looking for something inexpensive. White tile is available cheap but it is a pain and expensive to spray it black and the paint doesn't help the acoustical properties. Please share what you did including sources and costs. Thanks

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Armstrong produces two types of Black ceiling panels:

Cortega and Fine Fissured. Home Depot can order these in Black for you. My local HD quoted a price of $44/case (16 in a case, I believe for 2x2, 12 for 2x4) for Fine Fissured and $52/case for Cortega. These have an NRC of .55.

Lowes can special order them as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just finished my ceiling with the exact tiles you are looking for. They are made by USG. USG Radar Tiles . Scroll down on the right and find the RADAR Ceiling Panels style. You want the 2310 which is available in black. I called the 800 number, and they gave me the numbers to a couple of local dealers in my area. I found one close that had them in stock for $28 per carton which is 64 sf. (or they can order them for you). They only have 4x2 tiles even though their website says 2x2 are available. I needed 2x2, so I just cut the 4x2s in half and had no problem. Most dealers will also stock the black grid.

My area was also about 400 sf., and the whole thing cost me about $300 total.

Hope this helps.

Rob

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys!

Rob, I am having difficulty in using the link page. Would you please post the 800 number? And could you indicate what product named on the right is the 2310 you are recommending?

Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mark,

The name is in my original post. It is the "Radar Celing Panel" on the list. The link works OK when I use it from the post, not sure what the problem is, but just go to www.usg.com and find it in the ceiling section. The number is 877-874-4200.

Rob

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all, especially Rob. Local dealers did not have the black Radar in stock. Ordered 5 boxes (64 sq ft each) ar $30 per box. Local dealer had black grid in stock ($180 for the necessary pieces). So my ceilng gets done for $330.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at doing the same thing. I have a very small room (about 11x11) and want to cover my white textured ceiling.

If you don't mind, can I ask how the tiles cut down on reflections to the screen? Do they absorb light very well? How would you say they compare to black velvet?

Thanks,

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm looking at changing my tiles to black also, as a trial I've put up some black fabric (not velvet) and I can see that it is worth it, worth it, worth it.

Tiles are more reflective than velvet, I have velvet masking and drapes and it is black even when directly illuminated, the black painted finish looks "lit" but reflects about 90% less light than before.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robertmee
Armstrong produces two types of Black ceiling panels:

Cortega and Fine Fissured. Home Depot can order these in Black for you. My local HD quoted a price of $44/case (16 in a case, I believe for 2x2, 12 for 2x4) for Fine Fissured and $52/case for Cortega. These have an NRC of .55.

Lowes can special order them as well.
Robert, this is very interesting in that I asked 'Tommy' at the Pro Desk if they could order me some black [acoustical] ceiling tiles, and he said no! This is the same desk that I special ordered the LVL beams and saved 18% in doing so over the traditional lumber yards.

I guess I wasn't worth the headache that day. :)

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan

Robert, this is very interesting in that I asked 'Tommy' at the Pro Desk if they could order me some black [acoustical] ceiling tiles, and he said no! This is the same desk that I special ordered the LVL beams and saved 18% in doing so over the traditional lumber yards.

I guess I wasn't worth the headache that day. :)

I don't know about "Tommy" ;), but I asked the store manager directly as he was helping me load lumber into my truck...Seems they were short on help that day. Anyway, he took me into his office and we went through the catalog until we found the fine fissured and Cortega panels. He gave me a quote on a sticky note (I still haven't bought them yet), that I keep in my HT file.

I have noticed that there seems to be some regional differences in stores willingness to special order. There were several posts on here about Lowes ordering Insul-Shield for customers, but when I tried my local Lowes, they couldn't get it unless they ordered 1/2 truck load.

Go figure.

You might want to ask to speak to "Tommy"'s manager next time. I've found persistence is the name of the game when trying to find these elusive building materials.

Good Luck

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
True. BTW, do you have a manufacturer's part # or HD SKU# for the "fissured and Cortega panels", or determine the appropriate URL for these products?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Cool! I just got a response back from USG and they provided me with a reseller of their products. Albeit I will have to special order the 'RADAR Ceiling Panels' the cost is $0.29/SqFt. This is less than $20/carton covering 64SqFt. These are the square corners (vs. the edge-reveal they could have also ordered) and I only need four cartons! I may pickup a couple of extra cartons 'just in case' and also to build the hushbox, hehe.

Dang cheap! Now, if I could only get these panels to grow soft fur I'd install them onto my florr, too!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
Cool! I just got a response back from USG and they provided me with a reseller of their products. Albeit I will have to special order the 'RADAR Ceiling Panels' the cost is $0.29/SqFt. This is less than $20/carton covering 64SqFt. These are the square corners (vs. the edge-reveal they could have also ordered) and I only need four cartons! I may pickup a couple of extra cartons 'just in case' and also to build the hushbox, hehe.

Dang cheap! Now, if I could only get these panels to grow soft fur I'd install them onto my florr, too!
Cool....

Did you by chance price the edge-revealed type...Also, who was the supplier....Maybe they have some stores in NC.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Robert,

The supplier (reseller) is a company called Business Specialties Inc. (BSI), but I am not sure if they are strictly local to me or not. The was a second company USG gave me contact information for, but I'm at work right now.

When I get up in the morning, I'll post the other supplier information. USG was very responsive to email (they also have an 800#) and provide suppliers nearest you. :)

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Robert,

The following is a cut & paste of the email reply I got from USG:

Brae,

Thank you for your interest in USG products and services.

BSI in Buford, GA sells our products. Below is their telephone number along with other local distributors.

You can also contact our customer service center for more distributors in you area. (800) 950-3839.

BSI in Buford, GA

(770) 271-7117

Maverick Materials

Gainesville, GA

(770) 534-8910

BSI

Smyrna, GA

(404) 792-0941

Jose L. Naranjo

United States Gypsum Corp.

Architectural Services Associate

Ph. (800) 874-4968

Fx. (312) 214-1600

e-mail: [email protected]

I would urge anyone interested in either calling USG's 800# and finding a dealer nearest you, or call the dealer local to me. Cheers! :)

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Why not do what the pro's do - spray white tiles any color you want. Seriously, this is what is typically done in screening rooms and theaters. The drawback is the paint will seal the tile and when lifted, it will chip. But touchup paint fixes that.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Why not do what the pro's do - spray white tiles any color you want. Seriously, this is what is typically done in screening rooms and theaters. The drawback is the paint will seal the tile and when lifted, it will chip. But touchup paint fixes that.
I've heard painting the tiles changes the acoustic properties of them because it seals the small crevices. Is this true? I would guess sealing the crevices would make the tiles more reflective (?)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am in the planning stages of my Home Theater and find this Forum extremely helpful.

I am curious about the use of "black" ceiling tiles. While I can see the advantages of this color, I am wondering if a grey tile would be an adequate compromise. Does anyone have any experience in this regard? It is my plan right now to paint the walls grey.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.