AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to decide on the following. i currently own a take classic 5.1 system and been thinking about upgrading... i love the sound from the speakers but find it's not there for me volume wise (from the centre) ...

#1 getting 2 pairs of the RC-10s and using one as a centre (laying horizontal) and selling off the other... i can't use have the third RC-10 vertical - it would block the tv in a big way.

#2 getting 1 pair of RC-10s and get the RC-LCR as the centre… but that'll cost an additional $150 for me over option #1

#3 just buying a new centre speaker (i found a a great deal - polk cs2 series II for only $70) - and replacing the current centre from the

i'm leaning towards #3 the most for the value...

however, i'm willing to spend the money if it's worth it. #1 seems like a great option. but i'm concerned about laying the rc-10 on the side - not sure if you can do that. i also like the rc-10s for the 91db sensitivity rating, vs only 89db for the rc-lcr.

i am going to use the sub and the two satellites from the take 5 set for the back surround speakers (can't afford upgrading these now).

i'm not very knowledgable about sound - just like it to be great sound

·
Registered
49 Posts

Hi,

I was in the same situation as you were. I went with Cambridge audio S70s for the fronts and an S30 as a center. Great speakers for the money.

I am sure someone is going to ask you the following questions among others:

1)What is your room size

2)What is your budget

3)Any restrictions on size or placement

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
The take classic system, a good "bang for the buck" system, has two weaknesses.

1. Small drivers for the front stage will lack dynamics...

2. A undersized subwoofer unless you have a really small room.

If you are going to upgrade any part of the front stage, you need to make sure you timbre match. So your plan to upgrade with 3 rc10 across the front does this. The take classic will be okay for surrounds. Down the road, you can upgrade the sub!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Reponses. It's a great room. - really huge, probably 20x14 - but we only use half the room for the tv and couch.

Budget, I'd like to keep it under $400 if possible.

Size restrictions, I don't want to anything thing on the floor. Ideally center speaker should be about 7" tall max.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts