AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
So, you want a speaker suggestion that is not the A1rx-c or EMP?

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you claiming that the Arx does not have a good midrange?
Maybe I'm finding I don't like the sound of flat speakers.

I'm using Audyssey and the midrange is boosted substantially, from 4 to 8db between 300-600hz or so. But I'm not sure that gives the same result as a speaker that's tuned to exhibit that naturally.

·
Registered
19,553 Posts
Maybe I'm finding I don't like the sound of flat speakers.

I'm using Audyssey and the midrange is boosted substantially, from 4 to 8db between 300-600hz or so. But I'm not sure that gives the same result as a speaker that's tuned to exhibit that naturally.
Audyssey seems/may be adjusting for room modes and floor bounce in that range - which can
tend to happen with towers in a lot of rooms - and can depend on the towers driver placement.

Also the EMP can dip/bounce between 200 to 300 hz - and tends have a bump (built-in) in the
midrange of around 5 db between 1 and 1.5 khz.

It all depends on your taste and preference - it is what floats your boat.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Auddyssey seems to be adjusting for room modes and floor bounce in that range - which can
tend to happen with towers in a lot of rooms - and can depend on the towers driver placement.

Also the EMP can dip/bounce between 200 to 300 hz - and tends have a bump (built-in) in the
midrange of around 5 db between 1 and 1.5 khz.

It all depends on your taste and preference - it is what floats your boat.
Yup the EMP is definitely boosted a bit in the range of dialogue, bass guitar and the lower piano notes and drums, which makes the flat Arx sound more lifeless without correction. It's really easy to spot these differences when you have both speakers to compare.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
If Audyssey is boosting the Midrange in EQ, then it is correcting for flaws in the room, not in the speakers, especially when it is boosting that much.

And no, correcting in EQ, offsets but doesn't not correct the actually problem. If you have a drop out in that range, you can compensate for it, but that does not correct the problem in the room.

Depending on the nature of the room, consider some acoustic treatments.

Most speakers, ignoring for the moment the bass bump, tend to be well within a ±3db range, and the bass bump is typically no more than a +6db bump. So, if you are finding a 8db compenstation in the EQ setting, I still suspect the real problem is the room.

EQ can make a good room better, but it absolutely can not make a bad room good.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
140 Posts
While we kind of understand what you mean, the amount of information you've given us is not even close enough to what one would need to give wise recommendations.

Budget? Room? Have you tried different EQ's on both speakers? Size limitations? Listening habits? Powering them with?

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While we kind of understand what you mean, the amount of information you've given us is not even close enough to what one would need to give wise recommendations.

Budget? Room? Have you tried different EQ's on both speakers? Size limitations? Listening habits? Powering them with?
None of that really matters, but we're talking spare bedroom, Denon X4000. I'm just wanting to know if there is a speaker that would combine the attributes of a really good midrange like the EMP with a killer tweeter like the Arx has. If not, I'll be happy with what I have, but I've been bitten by the speaker bug and I want to hear more.

·
Registered
140 Posts

None of that really matters, but we're talking spare bedroom, Denon X4000. I'm just wanting to know if there is a speaker that would combine the attributes of a really good midrange like the EMP with a killer tweeter like the Arx has. If not, I'll be happy with what I have, but I've been bitten by the speaker bug and I want to hear more.
I believe those aspects do help.. You wouldn't want me to recommend a huge 1000$ speaker for your bedroom. How else would I know what direction to send you in? Just because you have two similar sets speakers to base what you 'want' from a speaker doesn't mean we know what you want. Combing two attributes of two speakers many people haven't probably haven't had the chance to listen to side by side like you have isn't easy. Are you trying to jump up a a couple floors? Or trying to spend around the same cash?

Well as I and many will tell you, speakers are hugely subjective. You may like those EMP speakers but I may find them shrill. Best way to find what your looking for it to audition, audition, audition.

Also, the Arx should have plenty of mid bass for what they are. Those woofers have plenty of excursion. What do you feel is missing? To get more mid bass you may want to move to a three way set up, or simply to a bigger woofer. There's only so much a 5-6inch woofer can do.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Then I should clarify. The way I shop for things tends to be different than most. I like to see what's out there first, do some research on them, then compare products and see what I really need and what's worth it to me. I don't tend to set a strict budget because it can artificially limit what you see. With that said, let's say I'd like to not spend more than $1000-1200 for a pair. I tend to also prefer floor standing for the stability of the built in stands (and not having to buy stands separate), but do not need extremely deep bass output. I am not opposed to bookshelves however, when the cost savings over towers is significant. Rythmik subs will be used as soon as I can order them. That's one reason why the A3rx-c stood out to me over others, where I felt large woofers would be a waste of money if I wasn't running them full range.

What do I feel is missing? A natural timbre from voices. It's close, but only with Audyssey. Without it, people sound like they are "trapped in a speaker cabinet" so to speak.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Then I should clarify. The way I shop for things tends to be different than most. I like to see what's out there first, do some research on them, then compare products and see what I really need and what's worth it to me. I don't tend to set a strict budget because it can artificially limit what you see. With that said, let's say I'd like to not spend more than $1000-1200 for a pair. I tend to also prefer floor standing for the stability of the built in stands, but do not need extremely deep bass output. Rythmik subs will be used as soon as I can order them. That's one reason why the A3rx-c stood out to me over others, where I felt large woofers would be a waste of money if I wasn't running them full range.

What do I feel is missing? A natural timbre from voices. It's close, but only with Audyssey. Without it, people sound like they are "trapped in a speaker cabinet" so to speak.
A larger Bookshelf-
Take a look at reactions Cx-10. They will produce more then enough bass, and they have the best imaging/sound stage of any speaker I've had a chance to listen to. They are plain black, but quite hefty for a 'book shelf'. They are also a little more costly then what your looking to spend, they go for 1299 a pair, with free shipping, both ways if you are not happy. Jeremy (the owner) is a great guy to work with, call him if you have any issues questions, he'll talk your ear off.

Prettier, Smaller option-
Svs Ultra Bookshelf speakers are extremely well reviewed, and you can't beat their warranty and return services. You can also call svs and they will walk you though whatever you need to know about your purchase before hand

Tower speaker, Kind of-
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 is a well renowned MTM design. They stands you can purchase for them look quite good as well. Much cheaper at around 800 for the speakers and stands.

Those are three speakers you could look at that IMO will pretty handily destroy your current speakers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
"Pretty handily destroy"

That's a very interesting statement. Have you heard the two speakers in question? I will look into all three of those you mentioned, thank you.
No, but with the amount of recommendations and info about them, I have no issues saying that.

You got about as good as you can get with your price range, many people highly regard the emp teks and Chanes line to be great value for money, but when you step up into the 1000 dollar range and up, things start to get serious :). I just bought a pair of speakers for about what you paid for yours, and If they are anywhere similar to your set up, I CAN say the cx-10s will literally destroy those speakers. Especially in the bass, imaging/sound stage. I couldn't believe it when I heard the first demo song.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hmm...

http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/blogs/news/15338885-speakers-and-more-speakers

I'm wondering how these Radian drivers sound at lower volume levels? I never listen at reference. And music should be considered top priority. Get that sounding right, and everything else - movies, gamebs, etc, is icing on the cake.

I'm going to do some reading in the Reaction Audio thread.
I know you said music is top priority, but this will give you an idea of what they can do at lower levels.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33788321

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will say this about the Arx tweeter - strings sound sublime. I've never heard better.

Now I've never heard a compression tweeter, but can they reproduce this kind of non-fatiguing detail? There is no distortion, no shrill. I might just cry if trading it is a downgrade...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts