AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the Onkyo TX-SR606 through amazon $380 shipped. that leaves me with $620 out of a $1000 budget. Now I need speakers, cables, wires etc that would be great for this receiver.

Im not sure if i need to use 7.1 yet or if i should for future proofing?

Lets just say $550 total (because of speaker wires, cables)

please any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would suggest buying the best main speakers you can right now and save up for the rest, you will end up with a better overall system this way. I like the ID companies for bang for the buck, so check out Axiomaudio, Aperion, Ascend, av123 to name a few. I would also suggest dropping into their respective forums on the manufacturer's sites to find out more about them and to see if there happens to be anyone nearby that could give you an audition.

·
Registered
710 Posts
FWIW on the Take 5 Classic, my brother-in-law has the original Take 5+1 system and it is/was a great sounding little system, if the classic is as good, I could recomend it too, but as I said you can achieve more if you are patient.

A good 2 channel setup for a couple months/years can be better appreciated over the long term as the rest of the system is built up around it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It depends on what you are looking for? tiny speakers, bookshelfs, or floorstanding. There have been great speakers on sale in the end of 2008. You kinda waited too long and missed out on some great sales but some are around and some come back quite often.

Frys seems to have their sales on the Polk RTi8 and the Infinity Primus 362 often. Good price for those speakers....Currently my favorite "bang for the buck" speakers at the moment. Polk Monitor also sells for a good price at newegg.

You can as someone stated, check out thespeakercompany as well and the EMP deals at the audioholic.com store. Both seems to get decent reviews for their price ranges.

Don't waste anymore money for your wires, cables, cords, or HDMI....get at monoprice.com

Subwoofer makes a very large impact as for as HT goes. They were often on sale as well but many are back to regular prices. You can check these budget ones:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...TOKEN=97873695

·
Registered
18 Posts
You might want to consider an EMP 5.1 Speaker System for $489 which includes 4 bookshelve speakers, a center channel and a good subwoofer.

When I searched the forums, I found few useful reviews of EMP speakers. Below is a link to my review of an EMP HTP-351 5.1 Speaker System (bookshelf)(list $1319, sale $489). (I am no expert, but at least the review is something to think about.) After hearing the system, I think it is probably competitive at it's retail price and definitively is a great value on sale (60% off limited time). Reviewed in conjunction with the Onkyo 606 receiver's Audyssey system, the subwoofer was smoothly integrated into overall speaker system so that the bookshelf speakers worked out fine in a large room without the need for towers. (The comparable 351T tower system now appears to be back up to full retail at $1870 on the Audioholics store website.) As of 1-3-09 posted time, the EMP website still has the tower deal for $629.

EMP HTP-351T 5.1 Speaker System ($629 tower deal)
http://emptek.com/EMPOn-linestore/ca...79656180f733ba

EMP HTP-351 5.1 Speaker System (bookshelves) /Onkyo 606 Receiver Review
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=51036

As of 1/3/08 at the posted time this bookshelf system was still available on sale for $489 at the Audioholics's store in the link below:
http://store.audioholics.com/product...speaker-system

I thought the subwoofer was worth the system price by itself (and it retails for $499 by itself.) (In perspective, I have an SVS PB12+2 subwoofer - this system was for my brother). There are a lot of possibilities at this price and not much money to risk. You could probably use the system for awhile and sell it to a friend or relative for what you paid or more. Also there is a 14 day return policy.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmonlycg /forum/post/15444433

i agree with jakewash...Get the best mains you can and save for the rest. if not youll end up upgrading within 6 months guaranteed!

Agreed. I think you'd be surprised at how good a nice pair of bookshelf speakers sound; I still haven't caught the surround sound bug I guess, maybe I need to watch more movies, I probably use my speakers for 70% music, and my opinions here reflect that. Axiom, Monitor Audio, NHT, Paradigm, just to name a few bang-for-the-buck brands. You can get a pretty nice pair of bookshelf speakers from any of the above companies for $400-ish. I hate to keep repeating myself in these threads, but go to an audio store and listen to what they have in the $400 range for bookshelf speakers (remember, you can probably talk them down 10-15% on the prices). In this price range, I'd stay away from floorstanding speakers. I don't care for satellite/sub combos; but I haven't listened to any of the higher-end ones really, aside from an Infinity set my friend had.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit9 /forum/post/15447399

You might want to consider an EMP 5.1 Speaker System for $489 which includes 4 bookshelve speakers, a center channel and a good subwoofer.

When I searched the forums, I found few useful reviews of EMP speakers. Below is a link to my review of an EMP HTP-351 5.1 Speaker System (bookshelf)(list $1319, sale $489). (I am no expert, but at least the review is something to think about.) After hearing the system, I think it is probably competitive at it's retail price and definitively is a great value on sale (60% off limited time). Reviewed in conjunction with the Onkyo 606 receiver's Audyssey system, the subwoofer was smoothly integrated into overall speaker system so that the bookshelf speakers worked out fine in a large room without the need for towers. (The comparable 351T tower system now appears to be back up to full retail at $1870 on the Audioholics store website.) As of 1-3-09 posted time, the EMP website still has the tower deal for $629.

EMP HTP-351T 5.1 Speaker System ($629 tower deal)
http://emptek.com/EMPOn-linestore/ca...79656180f733ba

EMP HTP-351 5.1 Speaker System (bookshelves) /Onkyo 606 Receiver Review
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=51036

As of 1/3/08 at the posted time this bookshelf system was still available on sale for $489 at the Audioholics's store in the link below:
http://store.audioholics.com/product...speaker-system

I thought the subwoofer was worth the system price by itself (and it retails for $499 by itself.) (In perspective, I have an SVS PB12+2 subwoofer - this system was for my brother). There are a lot of possibilities at this price and not much money to risk. You could probably use the system for awhile and sell it to a friend or relative for what you paid or more. Also there is a 14 day return policy.

8 posts all pushing the same speaker system.

I cry faul...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.