AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need 5.1 speaker recommendation for a 16x13x12 home office (with vaulted ceilings). It will used 100% for listening to music only. I am currently using a Onkyo receiver but might upgrade to Denon AVR-590.

I made a rush decision and bought Klipsch Quintet III for $298 at Vanns. Now I need a sub to match these which may cost another $200. So the total setup will cost about $500.

Now that I am reading some threads, I feel that I could have gotten a better 5.1 system for same price or less. For example, a lot of people seem to like Energy Take Classic 5.1 setup, which is about $100 cheaper too. I don't know much about these speakers as there is no way for me to listen to them.

Not sure if I can still return Quintets to Vanns (will find out trow). But if I could, what should I buy instead. Again, my budget is about $400-$500 and it's strictly for music only (I have a separate 7.1 HT for movies). I've heard DefTechs and Mirage Nanosats, but they are about $700+. Polks are posibility in my price range, but looks like most people think Energy TCs are better. I am really confused. Shouild stick with Quintets or buy something else??

All inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Quintets are a good sounding speaker set especially for the price. You need to match them up with a good sub though do to the small drivers. One area of concern that I have noticed is the integrated stand/bracket does not hold up very well and over time they tend to all end up pointing down which may account for them being a soon/now to be discontinued item. I have not had much time with the new quintets to see if this problem has been fixed but the new glossy cabinets do look alot nicer than the flat gray cabinets of the III's.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teligent /forum/post/16973207

Again, my budget is about $400-$500 and it's strictly for music only (I have a separate 7.1 HT for movies).

Why are you buying a 5.1 setup with small 3.5" drivers for 100% music? Not only does 2 channel music sound like crud though small speakers, but it's annoying (to me at least) through five speakers. Why not get a good pair of bookshelf speakers?

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16973355

He's right, if your setup is for 100% music, bookshelf speakers would be better than the quintets. Spend your $300 on a pair of Energy RC-10 bookshelf speakers instead.

That, or the AV123 ELT525Ms in Cherry for $175 (depending on which Onkyo, you might need the receiver upgrade).

And add a TSC ASW-10 Subwoofer for $150 to the Energy or the AV123s.

·
Registered
78 Posts
return those ASAP the base that holds them doesnt last long, i bought some a few years back and they pointed straight down within a week and they didnt really sound that great to me either esp for the price. if your just doing music then a 2.1 system should be all you need...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg /forum/post/16973387

That, or the AV123 ELT525Ms in Cherry for $175 (depending on which Onkyo, you might need the receiver upgrade).

I have nothing against AV123 but recommending a company that is known to have a lot of problems with shipping and customer support without letting him know about it seems a bit misleading.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow... thanks guys!

I am not wall mounting my speakers, so the Klipsch mount issue is not a problem. But, I returned them today anyway.

As you can see, I am NO audiophile. I didn't even know that 5.1 system for music would not be needed, and that just a good 2.1 would suffice.

I do have a question though. My current Onkyo amp (part of a 6.1 HTiB system HTR-520) does have "PLIIx: Music" and "NeoCinema6: Music" modes. I've tried them a couple of times and they do sound better (at times) then just 2-channel Stereo mode. Am I missing something here? I primary listen to light soothing music (jazz, classical, folk etc.); no heavy metal or rap music.

My home office is all dark cherry wood furniture. I can't have big boxy speakers to mess up my decor. Price is not much of an issue as long as I get good system for the money.

Can someone recommend a good system for my needs (SPEAKERS, SUBWOOFER, RECEIVER, CD CHANGER). Or should I just go and buy those ugly looking (and sounding) Sony/Panasonic/Samsung all-in-one bookshelf stereo systems instead?

FYI, after this is done, I need to build a new 5.1 system for my Family Room. Following that I need to upgrade my 7.1 Home Theater in the lower level. All this is getting so overwhelming!!!

Please HHHHELLLLLLLPPPPP ME with my office setup. THANK YOU ALL.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/16973498

I have nothing against AV123 but recommending a company that is known to have a lot of problems with shipping and customer support without letting him know about it seems a bit misleading.

AFAIK, AV123 is just fine, has plenty of ELT's in stock ready to ship and have zero issues with the ELT's. Their issues have been on pre-orders/pre-pays for their line source speakers. That, and the well documented problems with the bad batch of subwoofer amps they got from their supplier. In recent months, the line source pre-orders have begun shipping out, and replacement subwoofer amps started arriving and shipping late July I believe. Sure, there are still some folks waiting on product, but as far as in-stock merchandise like the ELT's, there have been no problems at all that I'm aware of. They've gotten some great reviews from both press and owners alike.

No, what seems misleading, is jumping in on a thread and commenting on things, taking a few issues and leading one to believe that they represent the whole picture when in fact, they do not.

Right now, the ELT's are on sale at less than $200 for the pair and represent a great value IMHO. Shown here in Cherry and Rosewood....

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
No, what seems misleading, is jumping in on a thread and commenting on things, taking a few issues and leading one to believe that they represent the whole picture when in fact, they do not.

+1

Av123 has had it's share of problems but that is a combination of bad economy and bad choices which they have acknowledged plus the really bad timing of having thousands of amps turn out to be sub-par again they are addressing the issue and fixing the prob. I would not hesitate to suggest their products.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/16974603

+1

Av123 has had it's share of problems but that is a combination of bad economy and bad choices which they have acknowledged plus the really bad timing of having thousands of amps turn out to be sub-par again they are addressing the issue and fixing the prob. I would not hesitate to suggest their products.

Thanks.... and in fairness, it's more like a few hundred bad amps out of several thousand subwoofers sold. Still a bad thing for sure, but one they are addressing and getting resolved.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarkmyers /forum/post/16974480

Tons of people will chime in on what you should buy so the only advice I will give you is to never purchase audio equipment urgently! 99 times out of 100 you will wind up second guessing yourself.

Ditto.

OP, Take your time & make the right choices for you.

I agree 100% w/ a 2.0 or 2.1 system for "music only". The av123 ELT525's are fine speakers (I own towers & center), but only buy from in stock inventory if interested.

The towers will go down reasonably to 40 Hz & can be had for $300+ shpg which is a real bargain.

Paradigm, Energy or Ascend Acoustics are other good choices to consider

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/16974655

Thanks.... and in fairness, it's more like a few hundred bad amps out of several thousand subwoofers sold. Still a bad thing for sure, but one they are addressing and getting resolved.

Thanks for boosting my confidence about AV123, especially since I know nothing about them. The cherrywood speakers look great, however looks like rosewood might complement my office decor better. But those are $124 more. Not sure why that is.. shouldn't both be same price?

So I am assuming, you guys think that just a simple 2.1 system would be good enough for my music listening needs? Any suggestions for receiver? I am guessing my current Onkyo HTR-520 might suffice. What do ya guys think?

Any recommendations for a receiver/cd-changer combo? Don't wanna have too many equipments on my office.

As for the sub, local BB has the Polk PSW-10 on clearance for $99. Is that a good sub for my needs? Does anyone has a better suggestion?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcorolla /forum/post/16974689

Ditto.

OP, Take your time & make the right choices for you.

I agree 100% w/ a 2.0 or 2.1 system for "music only". The av123 ELT525's are fine speakers (I own towers & center), but only buy from in stock inventory if interested.

The towers will go down reasonably to 40 Hz & can be had for $300+ shpg which is a real bargain.

Paradigm, Energy or Ascend Acoustics are other good choices to consider

Yeah.. I learnt my lesson... thankfully, I was able to return Klipschs w/o any hassles. Phew!

OK.. so now I am down to 2.0 or 2.1 system. I am seriously considering a pair of Energy RC-10s. Vann's has it cherry (I need that to match my decor) for $299 preorder. From what I hear, that's a good price, right? Some have suggested that I may not need a sub with them. Is that correct? Again, my listening will be 100% music only.

Which Paradigms would you recommend. I went on their website; nice looking speakers but a whole range of it. What would fit my needs and budget? Again, would I need a sub?

Another thing I am considering is to get slightly bigger speakers (not floor standings, of course) and eliminate the sub completely. What do ya guys think?

AV123 are good value, but rosewood finish cost $299. No offense, but for that price, I feel more comfortable (and confident due to brand-name) buying Energy or Pardigms than AV123 (please, don't start a bashing round becoz of this comment; I am just a newbie)

Thanks guys, you all have been a great help! Hopefully, I can decided, get and set it up by this weekend. Then, move one to the next 5.1 project in my family room (wishful thinking, perhaps).

·
Registered
750 Posts
My apologies for not letting out "the whole scoop" of the situation - I normally do (check my previous posts), but it was late at night. AV123 does have issues with shipping on time for preorders, and they have had problems with sub amplifiers that are now being remedied. I placed an order for the ELT525Ms back in March and they shipped them the next day.

Great to hear about the return, and no offense taken. Energy and many other companies make great audio gear - The ELTs were just a good price at $175 ;-) [The cherry veneers are on sale for $175 because they have too much in stock - rosewood is the more popular veneer choice]

What type of music do you listen to? A 2.0 setup can be very good, and towers will let you hear the bass, but IMO there's nothing that can replace a sub in a 2.0 setup, no matter how big the bookshelves are - the sub lets you feel the bass. I listen primarily to classical music and got away without a sub for awhile, but then I went to a concert and realized all the lower resonance I was missing. If you're placing it in an office, though, it might be a good idea not to get a sub

The PSW-10 is a fine sub at that price - Usually around the $100 mark you have the PSW-10, Energy ESW-8, the TSC ASW-8, and the Velodyne VX-10. Polk subs aren't known to be hard hitting and romping, nor articulate at higher sound levels, but for office use they should be fine.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teligent /forum/post/16975128

Yeah.. I learnt my lesson... thankfully, I was able to return Klipschs w/o any hassles. Phew!

OK.. so now I am down to 2.0 or 2.1 system. I am seriously considering a pair of Energy RC-10s. Vann's has it cherry (I need that to match my decor) for $299 preorder. From what I hear, that's a good price, right? Some have suggested that I may not need a sub with them. Is that correct? Again, my listening will be 100% music only.

Which Paradigms would you recommend. I went on their website; nice looking speakers but a whole range of it. What would fit my needs and budget? Again, would I need a sub?

Another thing I am considering is to get slightly bigger speakers (not floor standings, of course) and eliminate the sub completely. What do ya guys think?

AV123 are good value, but rosewood finish cost $299. No offense, but for that price, I feel more comfortable (and confident due to brand-name) buying Energy or Pardigms than AV123 (please, don't start a bashing round becoz of this comment; I am just a newbie)

Thanks guys, you all have been a great help! Hopefully, I can decided, get and set it up by this weekend. Then, move one to the next 5.1 project in my family room (wishful thinking, perhaps).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16973355

He's right, if your setup is for 100% music, bookshelf speakers would be better than the quintets. Spend your $300 on a pair of Energy RC-10 bookshelf speakers instead.

These are $300 each according to Energy's website: http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...cts/bookshelf/

You got me excited at first because the bookshelves that I've listened to so far and liked are in the $500/pair range. I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP in that I didn't know whether to get 5.1 or 2.1 for mostly music in an office bedroom. Also I just noticed Energy is a Klipsh company - don't know how much technology sharing there is, but I'm not fond of Klipsch's horn tweeter sound, which is colored with a bit of a megaphone effect IMHO.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarkmyers /forum/post/16974480

Tons of people will chime in on what you should buy so the only advice I will give you is to never purchase audio equipment urgently! 99 times out of 100 you will wind up second guessing yourself.

+1.

not to be a lecturing nanny..... but you post a thread asking for URGENT advice.... but the reason you need "urgent" advice is "I made a rush decision" and bought a speaker setup you ended up not liking?

Perhaps you should NOT treat it like an urgent decision. and you wouldn't look foolish posting a thread on the internet about your "urgent" problem
. Not only is NONE OF THIS urgent -- we are talking about speakers here, not any actual serious issues! -- but you will be happier in the end if you take your time.

Not very "teligent"

Additionally, referencing your other thread where you were commenting that sound quality wasn't much improved.... are you saying you don't have a subwoofer??? That would definitely explain it! You can't use tiny speakers without a sub!

BTW -- I have already TWICE suggested to you the excellent match for your needs: Energy RC-Mini's in beautiful real cherry finish:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

These are small speakers but they are larger than the tiny satellites in the Quintet or Take Classic sets and will sound a zillion times better with music.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I truly appreciate each and every response which is helping me narrow down my choices (plus I am learning a lot too).

There's a long shot that I might be able to work with floor-standing speakers (towers). But, they need to be dark cherry/rosewood color. I am hoping to eliminate the need for the sub if possible (my office will get crowded). So, if I were to pick 2 tower speakers, what are my options?

Thanks again everyone for your inputs.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.