AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in so I hope you guys can help.

My wife is setting up a new office which is a health center. She needs a speaker set up for 6 rooms, and in ceiling should be easy (since it's ceiling tiles).

She is basically looking for something that is cost effective, that enables them to play the same music in all the rooms but also to have individual volume controls. Preferably, there should be volume control in each room but the main music receiver/amp will be in the reception area.

Wired or wireless is fine. I've found some options but it seems the volume control would have to be at the reception area too.

I was thinking of getting her some cheaper monoprice ceiling speakers and wiring them to a multi-speaker output at the reception.

Otherwise, perhaps individual wireless speakers in each room with it's own input.

I'm honestly not sure what the best solution is. The farthest room is about 30+ feet away. I think a wireless hub might also work, if there are speakers with individual controls.

Anyone with experience that can chime in with options/solutions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has any ideas?

I've gotten some more information: Need to be able to control the volume individually in each room, and it's important to be able to have the same source playing in multiple rooms at the same time (so a bunch of bluetooth speakers won't work).

It can't be that hard. I saw a couple of fairly cheap options on amazon (eg: http://www.amazon.com/KTHSP126-In-C..._sbs_e_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QXGHC3GATMY3FM791C6)

However the speakers look pretty cheap. I'd rather build a system myself using monoprice speakers and wires and have better parts as a whole.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
For cheaper cost, you can just use a Monoprice speaker channel selector with volume control knob in each room. You will need a two channel power amp or receiver to drive all the 12 speakers (through the speaker selector).

If you want to get more fancy, you can wire for a multi-zone amps with keypads. This will offer more flexibility. Monoprice has one for about $590.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think HTD can handle what you are looking for: http://www.htd.com/Products/Whole-House-Audio

Feel free to give them a call and explain the situation, they are very helpful.
Thank you, will do!

For cheaper cost, you can just use a Monoprice speaker channel selector with volume control knob in each room. You will need a two channel power amp or receiver to drive all the 12 speakers (through the speaker selector).

If you want to get more fancy, you can wire for a multi-zone amps with keypads. This will offer more flexibility. Monoprice has one for about $590.
I'll check it out, thanks! How does the wiring work for the speaker selector and the volume knobs? will I have to wire the speakers and the knobs back to the selector?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'll check it out, thanks! How does the wiring work for the speaker selector and the volume knobs? will I have to wire the speakers and the knobs back to the selector?
The volume control knob will sit between the speaker channel selector and the speakers. So channel selector --> volume knob --> speakers.

For music source, I recommend you look at Sonos Connect ($399) each. The Connect has a really nice UI and is very easy to use.

Another option is to use Sonos Connect Amp ($499) in each of the room. This option will be expensive. You can control Sonos to sync up as a group or to play different sources in each room. All of them can be controlled from your smart device.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I looked up the volume controllers. Very simple to do.

So if I have the speakers and the volume controllers wired up, then going back to the speaker selector, I just need an amp to run to the speaker selector, correct?

In the interest of cost savings, and considering the music will be spa type stuff (nothing that needs a lot of power) any old amp should do, right? And then the source which will most likely be a phone or maybe computer can just come in through audio jack or rca cables?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks! I looked up the volume controllers. Very simple to do.

So if I have the speakers and the volume controllers wired up, then going back to the speaker selector, I just need an amp to run to the speaker selector, correct?

In the interest of cost savings, and considering the music will be spa type stuff (nothing that needs a lot of power) any old amp should do, right? And then the source which will most likely be a phone or maybe computer can just come in through audio jack or rca cables?

Yes, that is absolutely correct. The power will be distributed from the amp from two channels to twelve channels. Make sure that the amp/receiver is 4 ohm stable and you should be good. Consult the AWG wire chart for speaker wire gauge for each room.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She is telling me she is fine with just one speaker per room. Her old place had that so she insists she'd rather do that as it will be easier and cheaper.

If I do that, should I still wire them as stereo? Or will each room, for example, just be the L channel on the speaker selector? And then run as mono from the receiver?

Thank you soooo much for your help!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump if anyone can answer?

Should I just run a wire to each speaker from the L port and run as mono? Will the receiver automatically send all data to the one speaker if only one is attached? Or do I have to look for one with that specific feature?

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts