AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving into my new apartment and am running all the wires for my audio/video stuff.

I will have a 52 inch LCD in the living room. I do not want surround sound and do not plan on getting a receiver in the living room (I have a dedicated home theater system in the basement, and all the fancy stuff will go there). All I need is some nice loud speakers for my LCD in the living room.

Can anyone recommend a setup that will not require running a receiver?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What do you mean something that will not require a receiver? You want speakers that your TV can drive? Not sure what you mean so I can't help.

Also, please include your speaker budget so people can offer appropriate suggestions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. I meant an active speaker - a speaker with an amp in it already.

Basically, I want to run an RCA cable directly from my TV to the speakers (I just want 2 or 3 channels) without running a cable to a separate amp/receiver and from the amp/receiver to the speakers. So I need the speaker to have an amp already in it. I am not sure if that even exists, but I assume it does because I've seen active subwoofers.

Anyway my budget is up to $300.

Thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
Do you mean like a sound bar? Most need a receiver but I think the ZVOX is one such unit that doesn't need one. Also the Philips HTS8100. These are the pseudo-surround, all-in-one units.

EDIT: Just saw your response, so these might not be what you're looking for. ZVOX is about $500, Philips about $800. May be worth checking out, though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
troublefan. Thanks.

That actually sounds like a good idea. a bit expensive, but I will definately take a look at it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I just bought a Zvox 315 for exactly the rationale as karaim. Its perfect for a room thats about 500 sqft or less. The 325 is under $400, and blemished units direct from Zvox sell for under $250.

I bought the 315 For $120 and am very happy with it, although its an all manual unit, it does improve the sound fantastically: thundering bass without shaking the walls, good stereo imaging even for music, but the sound is still noticeably in front of you, never surrounding or distinctly above you as in good 5.1 systems.

The cons are its underpowered, so if the volume is raised above what its power supply is capable off, I can hear the speakers clip. Because engineering for various DVDs or output from HD channels vary, its a pain to readjust the phase cue, bass response, and volume for the optimum response, so I have it adjusted to the best of breed. If you up the subwoofer channel too much, the bass distorts, so in the end, so the sweet spot for the controls are between 12 and 3 oclock or roughly at the 50 to 75% of max mark.

The 325 is a better choice at this power output as above that, the price point is beginning to intersect low end 5.1 systems.

BTW I have heard the Bose desktop acouticmass system and the 315 clearly blows that away, hands down, for far less money. All you need do is plug a sound source to the mini-jack and you've got a rocking desktop or small room sound stage.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Take a look at the Audioengine 5 speakers. Wonderful sound, built-in amp. This is a 2.0 solution. I use them in my home office/study and they are truely great.

I bought them for ipod portability and take them on vacation. Their use for watching movies and TV was originally secondary, but now is primary.

They are a bit over your price at $325. I bought an open box for $250...you might get lucky....

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaim /forum/post/14241379

Basically, I want to run an RCA cable directly from my TV to the speakers (I just want 2 or 3 channels) without running a cable to a separate amp/receiver and from the amp/receiver to the speakers.

What you want to do is make certain you can turn the TV's internal speakers OFF (most allow this), but more importantly, that you can set the RCA audio outputs to be VARIABLE (many allow this) so that you can use the TV's volume control to adjust the volume of the external speakers.

Then, all you need is some powered speakers. Most any computer speakers (with or without a sub) will work. So will speakers like those that have been listed above. As will a pair of powered studio monitors. You have MANY, MANY choices. Depending upon how the speaker is designed to be connected, you may need an RCA out to female mini plug adapter (for computer speaker, for example). Other active speakers simply have standard RCA inputs.

You can't do a 3-channel setup because you only have the 2 R/L audio outputs.

BUDGET????? You can do what you are wanting with a $50 set of computer speakers, or you can spend more.

I don't know what your budget is, but HERE is a company that offers some interesting products, too.

·
Registered
922 Posts
WOW, Good to know, thanks. Mainstage is at least, direct competitor for Zvox, but it reads like better results for the same money once at the $300 mark and up. But, you really need to hear it to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14302585

I don't know what your budget is, but HERE is a company that offers some interesting products, too.

·
Registered
534 Posts
+1 on the Audioengine 5's. They've been working great with my 40" and I plan on adding a sub for an extra kick.

I got mine for 277shipped brand new from provantage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts