AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very recently divorced and moving into condo this week. I basically gave everything to the ex-wife as a small payment for my freedom, and I can always make more money.

But now I have nothing, and I'm on a serious budget - say $500 bones? I'm thinking I need a dvd player, receiver, and front speakers to start with. But I'd like to add on later for a real home theater setup as the funds allow. I don't mind shopping used at all...and I love my music. So probably quality floor standing speakers are in order vs. book shelves?

Like I said, used doesn't scare me and I'll search ebay and craig's list till my fingers are raw. Any exceptional values in the used market for what I need?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
the price of freedom, eh

under these circumstances I'd start off with a stereo amp, at $500 much better sound than a system with a 5.1 receiver

Oppo 980 dvd player, $150 (new)

stereo amp (NAD/Rotel/Parasound older models) ~$200 (ebay)

Paradigm Monitor ~ $200 (ebay)

good luck, and happy hunting

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
For the best sound right now, you want to put as much of that $500 into speakers as possible. So scan craigslist and cruise garage sales for an old stereo receiver, and pick up whatever DVD player is on special at your local big box this weekend. You should have $350-400 left over for speakers.

Choosing speakers is tough, because you want to hear them first, and that's harder to do when buying used. I'd be tempted to buy new monitors (PSB and Paradigm are the first two brands I'd look at) that could later be used as surrounds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I vote for used scrounging at this point in the OP's game. As an example of what you can get when scrounging for used:

I have a second system off the master bedroom that I sometimes listen to before bed to unwind, often with jazz from NPR. The receiver is a Yamaha CR-820 I nabbed at Goodwill for $40. Some Windex and DeOxIt spraying and I had a beautiful looking and performing unit. The speakers are '77 Polk Monitor 7B's with the original Peerless tweeters (black dome with a hole in it, that was Matt Polk's "mod".) I got those locally for $60. Sony CDP-550, $10 at a yard sale, remote MIA but plays flawlessly. I am hard-pressed to find a more pleasantly musical system for many times what I have in it. At this stage in the game, IMHO used is the way to go. You can often find crazy deals on truly excellent gear if you dig.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Think Ascend Acoustics or Axiom bookshelf speakers to start (both available in B stock) coupled with a H/K AVR in B-stock fully warranted direct from H/K at harmanaudio.com (specials). You can build on those excellent speakers as your budget grows without sacrificing sound quality in the meantime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help everyone...I'm researching a lot, and the more I did, the more confused I get - lol. All enjoyable though and I appreciate your responses here.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny1 /forum/post/12884315

Thanks for the help everyone...I'm researching a lot, and the more I did, the more confused I get - lol. All enjoyable though and I appreciate your responses here.

If you have the time then by all means educate yourself about what makes a good speaker, receiver, etc. Here is a site with excellent articles in several categories to help you out:

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Resources/Articles/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts