AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Budget 200-300$

Room cube= 2952

I don't know a lot about HT audio but have lots of experience in car audio. I have installed lots of car audio and built multiple sub enclosurres, but again, I know nothing about home audio. Now, is there a sub w/enclosure set up out there that fits my budget, or would I be better off buying parts and making my own? What's the deal with plate amps? Why are they needed when you have power coming from your receiver? My receiver is an HTR-5730. Ancient, I know, but I will possibly be upgrading within the next 6 mos or so. Anyways, thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you know how to build, best you go that direction. Go the the DIY forum and read up on those post to give you an idea. If you don't want to, the Bic PL200 or the Lava Subwoofer 12 inch subwoofer is in your price range. You'll just have to offer a bid around the $270 for Bic. For Lava subwoofer website and contact CS for an AVSFORUM 15% off coupon code.

You and I both know, you get what you paid for when it comes to subwoofer. The better the product is, the more it'll cost. If you want a serious subwoofer, look to spend more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR /forum/post/19548519

If you know how to build, best you go that direction. Go the the DIY forum and read up on those post to give you an idea. If you don't want to, the Bic PL200 or the Lava Subwoofer 12 inch subwoofer is in your price range. You'll just have to offer a bid around the $270 for Bic. For Lava subwoofer website and contact CS for an AVSFORUM 15% off coupon code.

You and I both know, you get what you paid for when it comes to subwoofer. The better the product is, the more it'll cost. If you want a serious subwoofer, look to spend more.

Thanks for the reply. I plan on getting more extravagant later on, this is just something I need to get by right now as I have no low end at all in my system. I know the more money you spend, most times, the better product you will end up having. I know I have a lot to learn in this arena and I look forward to it. Thanks again for the help and I will check out those models listed, as well as check out my options in DIY.

·
Registered
329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck PixeL /forum/post/19548672

Thanks for the reply. I plan on getting more extravagant later on, this is just something I need to get by right now as I have no low end at all in my system. I know the more money you spend, most times, the better product you will end up having. I know I have a lot to learn in this arena and I look forward to it. Thanks again for the help and I will check out those models listed, as well as check out my options in DIY.

If you know you're going to upgrade later on, just keep saving. I've already got the itch for a more powerful sub and I spent $400 on my first sub.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck PixeL /forum/post/19548672

I completely understand where you are coming from. I have been debating for weeks now if I want to spend very little money on my tv room and go with something like the Bic PL200 or Lava 12 inch sub or hire someone to build me an enclosure and buy my own parts. Going custom made sub with parts will cost more money but will definately hands down better as well. But the more money I spend now will only hinder my next project....the garage converision. Sucks either way....Why couldn't money grow on trees.

With your situation, you have experience building enclosure so more money for you to buy parts. You won't be using your receiver to power a DIY subwoofer, your receiver will be use to power your speakers. You can use a plate amp from partsexpress.com or like a Behringer EP4000 Power Amplifier to power your DIY subwoofer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts