AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I would appreciate recommendations as I have in the past - always been grateful to the expertise provided by members. I have a room with 19 foot ceiling, 22 x 14 size and its open to the kitchen area and hallways so total cubic feet in the room alone is around 5852. I have Focal 1028 BE towers powered by Bryston 3bsst2 and Outlaw 7500 with the Be center and in walls. My priorities are music an then home theatre as a consideration. Currently using original ML Grotto 10 inch 250w sub - time to move that to other small room and just purchased Marantz 8801 preamp as new system base. As an aside, I use the Oppo BD 95. I am torn between ML descent on super sale at 2K, leaving me money to upgrade to current Oppo 105 Darbee, or just go for JL F112, or save more with SVS 13 Ultra. As always, any advice or other suggestions are very much appreciated. I had also maybe considered the e112 as an option after reading Jim wilson's review - just wondering though if given the room size would that require two subs when I really have a WAF of one sub only. Budget is flexible to 3500. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,686 Posts

Due to your large room, it will take a lot of sealed sub to work for both movies and music.  With that budget, there are going to be TONS of options available.  The best option I can think of, if I were in your position with your budget, would be a Seaton Submersive HP.  Dual opposed design gives you two 15" drivers in a single enclosure which will help a lot with having enough output for movies down low.  The finish is beautiful, and, if you can figure out a way to make duals work, you can add a matching slave subwoofer for another $1200.  Even adding the dual will keep you under $4k.  A single Seaton would likely double or triple the capability of a single SVS or JBL, and they typically win best sound quality in blind shootouts amongst other top ID subs.

Reactions: AudioFlatz

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the quick reply. I had not looked at that particular sub - its a beast for sure. more to think about.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestman  /t/1523889/need-sub-to-round-out-focal-1028-based-system#post_24519081

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I had not looked at that particular sub - its a beast for sure. more to think about.

I agree with bear. I own an SB13-U for my stereo system and it is simply wonderful, but my room is approximately 3,400 cu. ft (and somewhat open). I also own an XS30 (PSA) for watching movies (in another room, similar in size of the music area), and it too is absolutely great (dual opposing 15-inch drivers like the SubMersive HP). I also auditioned a pair of JL Audio F212 Fathoms, but that was at a high-end shop and couldn't get a good feel for them (home auditions are the only way to go). All that being said, the Seaton SubMersive (sealed design) is at another level. A room with your volume needs an output monster and Seatons (and JTR Caps … either sealed or ported) are just that. With your budget, I'd seriously consider what bear suggested.

Almost forgot ... I'd also recommend the PSA Triax (should be at the level of the Seaton and JTR).

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
We have very similar systems. 2 channel playback is a priority for me as well. I had 4 different subs and decided to go with 2 subs that were more oriented to music. I have never heard the Submersives but they get high prairie so I'm sure they are fantastic. I have an Oppo 105 with an outboard Darbee unit, a Marantz av8801, Mcintosh MC252 and Aerial Acoustics 7t's. I ordered a Descent I and Depth I of clearance from Audio Advisor. My budget was the same as yours, I got them both delivered within my price point. I am very pleased with their performance in my room. 30x15, 7' ceilings but open to 2 smallish areas. I like the sealed, servo design. I can highly recommend the ML's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks G_bartman. I will really appreciate your comments. For what its worth, my wife said I could pickup the Submersive but wanted to know where I would be living with it so she could forward my mail to the new location. Real sense of humor after 22 years. So that option is off the table. As the descent looks very much like the grotto, maybe she won't notice that a depth, say I just added a cheap used one and I get to upgrade the Oppo - priceless!

Reactions: g_bartman

·
Registered
10 Posts

There are also custom builders that do some very great work also. And I do know of one guy that has built subs at a very reasonable price and for a 15 inch servo driven subwoofer they would be hard to compete with for the price. I have 2 of them here at home. They have also built me some bookshelf speakers that made me sale my Klipsch La Scala. If interested I can refer you as they are a small but very skilled company. I would probable never go agina to pay for a companies big name rep. Unless it just my favorites like Dynaudio, Revel, JL Audio. They are E.C.Speakers.

Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestman  /t/1523889/need-sub-to-round-out-focal-1028-based-system#post_24519963

Thanks G_bartman. I will really appreciate your comments. For what its worth, my wife said I could pickup the Submersive but wanted to know where I would be living with it so she could forward my mail to the new location. Real sense of humor after 22 years. So that option is off the table. As the descent looks very much like the grotto, maybe she won't notice that a depth, say I just added a cheap used one and I get to upgrade the Oppo - priceless!
Read this to my wife..she almost fell on the floor laughing.    OK, heres the game plan, show her some pictures of dual orbit shifters.............then the tiny little submersive. 
  Seriously though, can you place one as an end table?  they are finished nicely.  But, if you can't eventually get that one approved, how about one of the 18" Funk Audio subs?

or:

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Bear. I can't even fathom what those big guys weigh let alone how you got them in the house. I guess you have some strong friends. I will see what she thinks about the 18 inch Funk's. I kind of think my wife's comment was funny - now at least.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts