AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Recently like many my Epik Empire died. I will probably end up selling it with the dead amp to someone who wants to use an external amp or see if the internal amp can be repaired. So I am now in the market for a new sub or two.

The two main options i am considering is a Piano Black Rythmic FV15-HP or HSU VTF-15H MK2. My budget allows for dual drive HSU subs or 1 piano black Rythmik. Even though i have the opportunity to buy two subs I am leaning towards the Rythmik for one stupid reason. It comes in Piano Black which will match my Piano Black CM10's CM Centre 2, and CM1's....

My room dimensions are as follows 17L X 14W X 8H. Am I being stupid? Is two subs overkill for the room? The room is a perfect rectangle, but has two openings. One 5Ft wide opening to the kitchen and an open archway about 7ft wide to the living room. Room has hardwood floors.

Please share your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

Ive attached a rough drawing oh what my room looks like

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you considered just replacing the plate amp with a new one?
My understanding is that there is not a plate amp that is a direct fit. The cabinet would need to be altered, which I am just not willing to do. seems the Closest fit is the Dayton Audio 1000w plate amp. To be honest, I have been tempted to upgrade for a while, so that is part of the reason I am being lazy.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
If you are happy with the Empire, it's not difficult to replace the amp. However, either the Rythmik or dual Hsus would be a very substantial upgrade, and between them a Dual Hsu setup would have a big advantage over a single Rythmik. However, if you wold rather not spend the money (or aren't simply looking for an excuse to upgrade), one simple thing you can do is cutout a board to fit the amp cutout, and then drill some speaker terminals in that. Install the board and hook up the sub to an outboard amplifier. Easy and cheaper than a plate amp.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are happy with the Empire, it's not difficult to replace the amp. However, either the Rythmik or dual Hsus would be a very substantial upgrade, and between them a Dual Hsu setup would have a big advantage over a single Rythmik. However, if you wold rather not spend the money (or aren't simply looking for an excuse to upgrade), one simple thing you can do is cutout a board to fit the amp cutout, and then drill some speaker terminals in that. Install the board and hook up the sub to an outboard amplifier. Easy and cheaper than a plate amp.
Won't the Fan noise from an external amp be too loud? All my gear is in the family room. So you think even the single Rythmik will be a big upgrade from the empire?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
It depends on what amp you buy. There are a lot which are passively cooled. There are some which do have loud fans, but can be easily modded for a quiet fan. I would ask about this in the DIY forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts