AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying an Onkyo CS-V720S sometime in the near future, and as part of it's CNET description, it says that "You can hook up a power amplifier and a powered subwoofer to the receiver's preout jacks to get full 5.1-channel sound from DVDs, DVD-As, and SACDs." Now, I have a general idea of what this means, but I need some help on figuring out exactly how I'd go about hooking up an external subwoofer, and also some advice on which subwoofer to choose. This system is for a bedroom system (that'll be connected to a TV) in an approximately 14x12 room. I'm also not exactly sure how preamps connections and amplifiers and subwoofers would all be connected to this Onkyo system. Oh and after browsing through these forums, I've noticed that a budget is usually requested to make things easier, so my budget for a subwoofer is probably $

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Monk4y,

If you are buying this for Home Theater you would probably be better off buying one of Onkyo's HTIB(Home Theater In A Box). This will already include everything you need including the receiver, speakers, and a subwoofer.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo...oductDetail.do

I posted this link just to give you an Idea of what I was talking about there are tons of choices.

If you go with the system you originally posted you would have to spend at least several hundred on an external amp to connect to this system to power the center, Left Surround, and Right Surround. Then add a couple hundred for a subwoofer. It just wouldnt make much sense.

As far as the hookups go though you would just use a regular RCA style interconnect between the sub pre-out jack and the subwoofer which already has a built in amp.

For the external amp you would use three RCA interconnects attached to the amp and then would connect your speakers to the external amp.

Like I said though if you just want a decent bedroom Home Theater system just get a HTIB. A lot less hassle and will probably sound better in the end anyways.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, but i forgot to mention that i'm not planning on making this a 5.1 system. my bedroom is not big enough and i'm just not planning on doing that. i also forgot to mention that i don't currently have a dvd player, which is one of the reasons why i thought this onkyo model would be suitable. i figured that instead of buying a receiver, 2 speakers, a subwoofer and 2 stands, i could start off with this system and then eventually add on a subwoofer. if this is the case (all that i want to add to this onkyo model is a subwoofer) how exactly would i go about hooking it up and what exactly would i need to do so?

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you just want to add a subwoofer all you would have to do is connect a subwoofer cable(which is nothing more than a regular interconnect) from the back of the Onkyo to the Line level input on the subwoofers amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GzA1BU2...&display=L#Tab

You can see in this picture the purple jack on the back of the Onkyo.

Thats all there is to it. Really simple.

I hope you enjoy your new system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.